Tell me about Trangia Stoves!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
I agree with the previous post about the white box, thunk this is the burner you are looking for. this design lets you place your mug straight on the burner, no need for a stand. Don't buy one, you can make one out of a cheap sigg type bottle. :thumbup:

my fave stove is the Swedish army trangia, but on its own the burner won't do what you are asking it to do. :thumbdown:

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Thanks everyone - going to look into a few DIY stove projects and hopefully get my hands on a Trangia stove to try it out before buying it.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
You can get a "canteen cup stove" at Heavy Cover. rest the cup on it, the trangiua fit under the stove quite well.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
I've used all manner of stoves and have an unhealthily excessive collection of them...but if I'm off for outdoors for a while (more than a couple of days) I always revert to the swedish army trangia set (includes pots, windshield, meths bottle etc). Meths is available virtually everywhere across the world and the pots (buy steel, not aluminium) are bombproof. For about £15 what could go wrong? Sure its a bit bulky, but like I said, having tried most everything else I always come back to it. As posted above, if you are going to use the burner on its own, this won't be the solution you are after - you definitely need the wind shield most places. Having said all that, do try making a side burning stove like the white box or a derivative of it - you'll learn a lot from that. Just don't put petrol in it - I investigate fires for a living and petrol is not worth playing with! Enjoy!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've used all manner of stoves and have an unhealthily excessive collection of them...but if I'm off for outdoors for a while (more than a couple of days) I always revert to the swedish army trangia set (includes pots, windshield, meths bottle etc). Meths is available virtually everywhere across the world and the pots (buy steel, not aluminium) are bombproof. For about £15 what could go wrong? Sure its a bit bulky, but like I said, having tried most everything else I always come back to it. As posted above, if you are going to use the burner on its own, this won't be the solution you are after - you definitely need the wind shield most places. Having said all that, do try making a side burning stove like the white box or a derivative of it - you'll learn a lot from that. Just don't put petrol in it - I investigate fires for a living and petrol is not worth playing with! Enjoy!

Such as?

The Swedish alcohol cook set is not a Trangia, although Trangia made some of the burners they thankfully had no other connection to the setup.

cjackson

May 16, 2014
Sheffield, England
I've got the trangia 25-6, it's brilliant I've had no problems with it at all. Granted they are a bit bulky compared to a standalone burner but everything you need is contained withing the main bowl. Somebody above mentioned the are not great in cold weather, I found a small bottle of cheap vodka to mix with the meths worked a treat. Had the luxury of cooking bacon on the top of kinder scout in thr harsh winter we had a few years ago. I think the mountain rescue people who came to get people of the top were happy with there mid expedition snack. A bit of planning and they're great for any trip. I haven't had to replace any parts and this was purchased a few years ago.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I have exact the same set as in this review:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=284-Trangia-Triangle

The Triangle is lightweight, packs very small and can support almost any pot (zebra, cups, pans,...)

However, I won't rely on it for real cooking, brewing some coffee, OK, but having a meal like rice, beans and meat is quite hard to do when wind gusts pass through camp.

I used the set in Ireland (January 2014) and I was only able to get some water cooked inside my tent.

And don't use alcohol-gel of any sort, this will give you a rather lousy flame. Liquid alcohols give much more heat.

For quick brews yes, for big meal-preparation, gas-stoves.

Good luck!

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I have exact the same set as in this review:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=284-Trangia-Triangle

The Triangle is lightweight, packs very small and can support almost any pot (zebra, cups, pans,...)

However, I won't rely on it for real cooking, brewing some coffee, OK, but having a meal like rice, beans and meat is quite hard to do when wind gusts pass through camp.

I used the set in Ireland (January 2014) and I was only able to get some water cooked inside my tent.

And don't use alcohol-gel of any sort, this will give you a rather lousy flame. Liquid alcohols give much more heat.

For quick brews yes, for big meal-preparation, gas-stoves.

Good luck!

Would have to disagree with your final sentence there, the best stove I have found for cooking 'proper' food is the Trangia, in its 'proper' form. however, if you wish to take bits of it away and try and use the burner with different pans, or without the windshields that were specifically designed for it, then its not really being used to it's optimum efficiency.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Would have to disagree with your final sentence there, the best stove I have found for cooking 'proper' food is the Trangia, in its 'proper' form. however, if you wish to take bits of it away and try and use the burner with different pans, or without the windshields that were specifically designed for it, then its not really being used to it's optimum efficiency.

I did use it in its proper form, the triangle is said to act as a windshield, but it just didn't.
Don't want to bash the product, it just has its limits imo. On a summerday it will probably do a much better job.
I should've mentioned that it was used in terrible weather and circumstances.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Trangia Triangle is very limited. If you use a real full Trangia set you'll find they thrive in high winds and once you master the simmer ring you'll get @ 50 minutes simmer time.

http://www.trangia.se/english/2913.trangia_stoves.html They do lightweight versions which the ultra light hiker may find heavy but standard Trangia's are use by many thousands of hikers so they won't break your back. Remember you don't have to buy a version with a kettle and you don't have to take both pans on a hike.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I do have a 27 and it really cant be beaten, the only thing that stops it working is running out of fuel.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
A big NO to petrol... they're designed for alcohol based spirits like meths, ethanol, whisky, vodka etc :)

You can build a stand for them if you want but most folks use them in conjunction with something like a click stand, honey stove, hobo stove etc.

They can leak fuel over time, it's best to keep the fuel separate and fill them each time you need them. Note that if you need to fill them after using once make sure it is cool before refilling and lighting.

You can use them from a crusader up to a large billy like the 14cm zebra, obviously it takes longer for the larger sizes to get to boiling temperature.

+1 to all that!

They're good stoves, but not for me personally :).

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
To Ged - Hi mate, I'm seldom that far up, but I could make an exception for a kip out somewhere one day...

To RikUK3 - Fair one - swedish army trangia is what I've always called it, but perhaps without justification. I meant the stove set in Leigh Robinsons photos on page 1. Apologies for any confusion caused.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE