Wood burning smell from the firepit in the garden

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
They are, aren't they ? and everyone loves having a real fire....until they don't have it and they start to complain about the smell and the smoke, etc.,

Personally I love fire, I have a thing about old hearth herbs, but I loathe the stench of improperly burnt crude hydrocarbons....you know the stuff the inept pour onto their 'charcoal' to get it to light ?
That stench clings to everything.

One of our neighbours decided to burn the scraps from his new decking in his chiminea....that stuff was tanalised and it burned with an acrid smoke like TCP. Absolutely horrible, but since the wind blew it away from him he didn't care.....yet fruit wood prunings, or pine, most folks like.

It's not easy keeping everyone happy :sigh:

M

I love the smell of wood fire. The noise and warmth from the old wood stove is calming and takes us back into the good old days. :)

But I know what you mean. If the wrong fuel is burnt in wrong set up, then it could give out bad stench, which is not nice.

My neighbor was not even complaining at the firepit at the time. She was just asking when it will end, so she will know when to put out her washings, which was fair enough and right thing to ask.

But I was preempting the possible scenarios it could go wrong if the operation is not carried out in correct and sensible ways, hence I was asking other folks how they manage the situation in balanced manner.

It should be all fine here, because they sometimes burn woods in their chiminea and do BBQ themselves too. :)

Reactions: Toddy

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
What worries me most is that someone who describes himself as a 'garden bushcrafter' is removing 80% of the botany from his garden :)

(just pulling your leg spader)

No problems. I should have put down "a wanna be" in front of it. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE