Tarp ridge line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toptec

Sep 3, 2009
manchester
Hi all,
Can anyone recomend me a decent rope / cord for use on the ridge line of my tarp? Diameter and what is the best length to carry?
Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
3mm climbing accessory cord will do the job nicely, you can go thinner with a dyneema line or chunkier with some 550 but it's a bit overkill. I'm using 2mm Exped stuff at the moment which is nice and compact.

A useful length is 10m so you don't have to be too picky with the trees, if you're hammocking and restricted buy your suspension then as short as 7-8m is usually enough. Personally I like the extra length.

EDIT:

Meant to say, another option is just to tie a shorter length to each end of the tarp rather than having one long continuous piece, the only downsides with this is you don't have the added protection from falling branches in wind, or sometimes it can be hard to avoid sag with the bigger heavier tarps. For lightweight PU nylon or silnylon it's not too much of an issue.

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Ditto, I ordered mine off the internet but I think you can buy it by the metre at Go Outdoors if you have one close to you

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I use paracord, but I find a bit stretchy.

I have to get the ridgeline as high as I can, and then pull it as tight as I can so that when the tarp is pegged down is does not drop in height too much.

Cheers, Michael.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
For what it's worth I use some white nylon cord ( sort of off white now) on one of my fly's it works and does the job quite well. It's about 5mm in diameter was cheap and has lasted about 7 years now... I have a 10 m length or so I suppose. Being white folk dont tend to walk into it in the dark... Which is handy when bivvying in a group situation

I also have a Aussie Hootchie which I got some OG purlon climbing cord for again 10m and about 6mm in OD it's also really good.

I'm not sure any cord really offers much in the way of protection from a falling branch or Astelia.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE