Tarp/Hootchie ridge line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
I've been using a hootchie for a while now and am quite happy with my combination of paracord for anything I need to tie down, and a nylon (i.e. stretchy) black 5 mm cord for the ridge line. However, after being a bit tough on it just recently, I've managed to really wreck the ridge line and need to replace it as it's frayed. Normally I wouldn't care, but I use a couple of klemheist knots to tension the tarp on the ridgeline.

Well, all that intro was to ask a very simple question - if you could choose any rope, what would be the best to act as a ridge-line rope? I'm thinking of going for some sailing 3 mm rope (http://shop.pinbax.com/index.asp?selection=category&InBox=Ropes&TypeSearch=&subcat=&countstart=48) the one at the top of the pages looks best

As this will offer decent strength and won't bend. They also have loads of strength and look different to the para-cord, which makes putting the hootchie up far easier.

Any ideas - what do you all use?

Agile

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Personnally I prefer a thicker ridgeline so as not to stress the material of the tarp and risk wearing it through. I know that thinner line will be lighter weight but I also use the ridgeline to hang all sorts of things from to keep them dry and easy to reach.

ATB

Ogri the trog

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Ogri the trog said:
Personnally I prefer a thicker ridgeline so as not to stress the material of the tarp and risk wearing it through. I know that thinner line will be lighter weight but I also use the ridgeline to hang all sorts of things from to keep them dry and easy to reach.

ATB

Ogri the trog

from this I assume you hang your tarp over your ridge line as opposed to under?

I hang my tarp under my ridge line, and at the moment am using some 7mm gelert rope I bought here:-

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/i...ring=rope&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0&SUBMIT=submit

Its god a good thickness, ties well. probably a bit heavy duty though to be honest.

I may go back to the 5mm accessory cord I was using before..

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
I'm another one who uses Paracord for the ridge line, the weight increase over your 5mm stretchy stuff is going to be negligible.

Rather than the Kleimheist knots to tension the tarp along the ridgeline, i use the good old Penberthy Prussic, a knot that ought to be used just so you can drop the name of it into a conversation :lmao:

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
I use the thicker paracord (10 - 12mm?) for no reason other than that is what I had for the job and so far it has performed well and I have no reason to change. It is flat like a tape worm so not too thick at all.

Tarp is hung under the ridge line via 6mm paracord loops and I also use 6mm paracord for the Penberthy Prussic tensioners. The ridgeline is rigged usingthe Evenk Slippery Figure-of-Eight Hitch one end, and a Tarp Taut Hitch the other end as per details HERE I use 4 day-glo shop bought guylines with plastic tensioners for corners (yet to need the plastic tensioners)

Is it not the case that one of the reasons for underslung tarp rather then draped over is that it prevents rain travelling all the way along the ridgeline and dripping down under the tarp?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
dommyracer said:
from this I assume you hang your tarp over your ridge line as opposed to under?

I hang my tarp under my ridge line, and at the moment am using some 7mm gelert rope..
Yes, and its a concious descision. I have tried hanging the tarp under the line but didn't think it had any benefits. It was the set-up I used at the recent Welsh meet and I had no water tracking issues despite 12 hours of sustained heavy rain. I also use 7mm rope from Cotswold - they were selling off the end of a reel ;) I suppose even if I did undersling the tarp, I'd want a utility line strung under the tarp to hang thing from - its a great place to hang your coat and boots to keep them dry and for torch and water-bottle during the night!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
tedw said:
Bungees for me too - quick, convenient, easy to fix up in the dark and no damage to the tree's bark. :)

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if I'm using bungees, then your tolerance of the rope-length is far less than normal?

As an aside, I got some 4mm cord from the climbing place mentioned earlier in this thread - I've used them a few times now for some real climbing gear and they turned out a treat :)

Agile

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I also use 7mm polypropylene rope. The reason is twofold. Firstly I have a big coil of it and secondly ( something no one has mentioned ) if a dead branch happens to fall it may prevent it from damaging me. Before you all say that you should check before you pitch, we can miss things. Pitching in darkness or heavily leafed trees in summer, to name but two.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Stuart said:
if you investigate the physics involved in a falling branch (of adequate size to offer a real danger of blunt force trauma ) being stopped by a taut ridge line of paracord or 7mm polypropoline, I suspect you'll find that the idea of it offering any realistic protection is a little optimistic.

saying that it still probably makes you feel safer, like closing your eyes when you hear the bough break makes you feel safer

Yep, I agree totally with Stuart on the above......and I'd even add to it by saying that with taught lines of whatever cordage you use, when the branch hits you'll end up at best snapping your cords or at worst ripping your tarp....so you'll have a sore head from the branch and be getting wet from the damaged shelter. If you use bungess then the shelter will move with the impact and shouldn't break....so you'll still have the sore head but at least you'll be dry! lol

Cheers,

Bam. :)

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Agile, if I've understood you correctly, you're right about the limitations on the distance between the trees for a bungee'd tarp ridgeline, but it's never been an issue for me as my hammock dictates a similar distance anyway. I generally use para-cord for the guy-lines as I've found the tension on bungees distorts the ridge-line. On warmer nights I often have the tarp pretty open, like an awning hung off nearby trees, anyway. I batten down tight in bad weather into more of a ridge-tent stylee. It works for me anyway! :D

I worried about the "falling branch" scenario :eek: and did faff about with a 7mm ridge line for a while. Then I decided, like Stuart and bamboodoggy, that the "protection" it offered was minimal and not worth the extra hassle.

Ted W

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I have been experimenting with various lengths of paracord, metal rings, rope, and even chain to find the ultimate tarp ridgeline. The requirements are its has to be

- Light
- Cheap
- Easy to put up in the dark
- Easy to take down in a hurry
- Strong
- No damage to the tree.

I came to teh conclusion that tape was going to do less damage and bought a £5 strap set from Aldi which incuded 6 bungees (ideal for guys) and two ratchet strap sets to canibalise for the tape, and then it struck me, just use the ratchet set!

Its easy to put up, no longer than tieing knots, the tape spreads the weight so reducing pressure on the tree, and very strong, in fact I am pretty sure I was starting to move the tree! :eek:

The downsides are its bulky and heavy compared to paracord and definatley not "bushcrafty" but it certainly works. :p

PS I prefer to hand my tarp to avoid wearing the fabric, but with this there would probably be less wear anyway.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Agile said:
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if I'm using bungees, then your tolerance of the rope-length is far less than normal?

Agile

Bungees are attached to the loops/eyelets on the edge of the tarp and not strung between tree as a ridge line ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE