Taking the Mrs. camping for the first time ever!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TrevorB

Mar 13, 2010
West Berkshire
Make sure she keeps WARM!

For many people Easter is quite early in the year to start camping and the worst thing that can happen is her getting cold.

Feb 10, 2011
Ayr Scotland
Yeah, cold and wet could put a dampner(heh) on her enthusiasm for the outdoors and also something to do other than sitting around next to the fire, do something she would enjoy doing normally.
Food too, no dehydrated tasteless calories or rationpack style grub, go for something tasty and fresh.
And lastly keep it short. 2 days is along time if your not use to doing "nothing" all day.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
i went to a place called Shell Island in north wales, it was perfect the place is truley massive you have a choice of here to camp either on or just behind the dunes of the beach, the main fields OR in the woods.

There are toilet and shower facilities but they are for enough away that you dont go to them EVERY time if you know what i mean, i took my mrs a found it an ideal comprimise between wild camping and "civilised" camping lol

Might be worth a look

No affiliation etc just a satisfied customer

Dave

Edit:

Almost forgot there are 2 shops selling various kit on the site as well as a pub. so you really can have the best of both worlds, we ended up doing half the holiday wild camping and half in the pub lol

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
This is all great advice folks, I really appreciate it, especially about the food. It looks like the general consensus is to book into a campsite and pitch up alongside other campers (will have to buy a tent then!). I was hoping to find a quiet spot where we could build a camp fire and have some privacy, but I think I might be living in dreamland.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Sparrowhawk ,i know im a long way away but i have got a beautiful 12 acre secluded woodland with stream running through the middle with direct access to dartmoor , but heres the good bit if it all goes horribly wrong , a 10 miute walk from the site i have a 2 bed wooden cabin with shower ,woodburner , cooker , fridge ,comfy beds and even sky tv ,all from 10 quid per person per night . how can you go wrong . best to have a back up plan.postcode is TQ110JQ have a look if you want more help,dartmoorcamping@yahoo.com. happy to help

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I was hoping to find a quiet spot where we could build a camp fire and have some privacy, but I think I might be living in dreamland.

If you can take your break midweek & outside of school holidays your chances of finding a quiet spot and a degree of privacy will be greatly increased.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Tell you what i will do ,seeing as its valentines day you can come and have all i have to offer for free, anything that gets the girls outdoors is great . i will even throw in a bottle of bubbly . how can you lose ? best wishes Ivan

Feb 6, 2011
none
Well sparrowhawk i know its a long way ,and i dont want to put pressure on you, but if i dont hear from you by 9.30pm tonight , i will offer the same to a couple because its valentines day , so first couple to post on this thread after that time , can choose a wild camping experience at my place for free, and if they can be bothered to read previous, see what they get. and anytime to suit in 2011 atb Ivan.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Hi Mick,
Sorry for the late reply. My wife and I came in from doing the shopping at 9.00, so we had to have a mad discussion before the deadline! She says she'd love to take you up on your kind offer, and I think your generosity has given her something of the Bushcraft bug! She's a school teacher so we'll be coming down to you in the easter holiday. If you're still happy to have us we'd absolutely love to come and visit.

Many many thanks,

Josh H

Feb 6, 2011
none
Dear Mr and Mrs Hawk, it is a pleasure you will have a great time , the only thing i cant control is the weather, other than that i will do my best to make your dartmoor camping experience , one to remember , all the best Ivan . ps send me a pm when you are ready and i will sort out directions etc. dont worry if you have kids or dogs you can bring them too.

C

cat1989

as a woman i would suggest a tent as it is her first time and as long as she can keep warm and when in need dig a hole she will be fine.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Ivan's place sounds magical - we're looking forward to going in April so hope you have fun.
The log cabin backup is a brilliant idea if she's not used to camping yet, but fingers crossed for good weather.

We're also hoping to get out over Easter :eek:

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Just remember that this is "her" trip. You need to make sure that she enjoys it. There have been lost of suggestions proposed here so I think the only thing which I can add is to encourage you to discuss the matter with her. What happens, where you go, on this first trip does not have to be how every trip will be. Think of this as an investment, if you can plant the camping seed on good ground it will grow and blossom !

Ask her if she has any ideas about where she would like to go (she may have seen or heard of some place which appeals to her). If she wants to leave it to you, ask what sort of place she'd like (toilets and hot showers, or shovel and cold stream). Close to a town / pub so you can have a dinner or two out (no need to cook and clean up every night).
Try and think about showing her a variety of camping experiances, but nothing which will be too confronting (first time).

The fact that she has asked to go shows that she is putting in a big effort to try something which you love. I think you have a pretty special gal there !

I hope it all goes well and do let us know what happens.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I'd been thinking about camping for a long time, not having camped since I was a teenager. I had half-heartedly mentioned it to the other half but she didn't sound too keen.

Two things worked in my favour in the end. Firstly I was able to get a large 4-man tent with a long-service award from work, so there was going to be no cramped pup-tent. Secondly was a flash of inspiration. SWMBO has a great interest in the history of the RAF, particulary during WWII. Several New Forest Campsites are located on the remains of wartime airfields, so I said "how do fancy camping next to a dispersal pan?". It worked.

We had a great time and she thoroughly enjoyed herself. We only managed the one weekend last year, but hope to get far more trips in this year. We do have to visit two other New Forest sites on old airfields before we go anywhere else though.

I would like to do some wilder camping, I'm not too sure whether she can be persueded to go that far. She's quite happy to go without showers for 2-3 days but toilets are another matter altogether.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE