Taking the Mrs. camping for the first time ever!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Hi all.
On Friday night my wife was having a conversation with some of friends, the upshot of which was that she came over to me and said "Shall we go camping at Easter?"

For those of you who don't know my wife this is remark is highly out of character. So much so in fact that I said yes before she could change her mind.

Now I have a problem: we have never been camping as a couple before and she has never been camping at all. If her first experience is a bad one, I might never get her to do it ever again.
Part of me is tempetd to book us into a standard camp site, with on-site showers, toilets, etc. But the little Ray in me "says get her in the bush!" (no pun intended).

So this thread is open for any suggestions on the best way to introduce my better half to the great outdoors. I'm interested in locations, activities, advice, anything and everything that you think will make a first trip unforgettable.

Many thanks,

Josh H

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I had the same problem mate, I chose a site with good facilities ie clean toilets and showers. Also I took a thick double mattress and a thick double sleeping bag. I also cooked her favourite meal, chicken fajitas, on the first night on a Coleman Feather dual fuel stove. She loves camping now.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
I had the same problem mate, I chose a site with good facilities ie clean toilets and showers. Also I took a thick double mattress and a thick double sleeping bag. I also cooked her favourite meal, chicken fajitas, on the first night on a Coleman Feather dual fuel stove. She loves camping now.

You sound like a smooth operator Welchy. Did you sleep in a tent or improv shelter? How long did you go for?
Thanks for the response.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Oh yeah forgot about that I bought a 5 man tent with living area too so that she had plenty of room to brush her hair and what ever else they do. We spent 3 nights in Betws y Coed.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com

good advice, its a make or break time, weather can be unpredictable so expect and prepare for the worst. my other half had never been either and took to it quicker than s***e off a shovel, i was lucky :) you need to do a bit of pampering or it might put her off forever!

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
i reckon a few bottles of wine and a good fire is the way to go

Agreed, but where? She's thinking four or five nights, in which case I can't take her to my usual haunt, which is less than legit. I need somewhere where she can relax, enjoy the surroundings, read a book and doze in a hammock, with maybe a bit of woodcraft thrown in
We went to a beautiful fishing spot in Scotland last year. It was totally deserted, and we spent the whole day on this little beach by a loch. I fished, and she read. But that's a bit further than we were hoping to go this time, and it was a fair trek into the backcountry and it was quite exposed.

Also, thanks to Toilet Digger for that enlightening contribution.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
personally i would plan for two nights but be prepared to call it a day after one! have a look at the local camp sites that allow you to have a fire.

i reckon 4 nights is a pretty hardcore start to wild camping and you're risking it being an ordeal rather than a pleasure

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Rough Hey at Sowerby Bridge is not a bad little site although it will be busy at Easter (as will everywhere). Basic but adequate facilities plenty of woodland round about. Friendly owners and not too expensive and allows fires off the ground. It is open all year so you can check it out beforehand if you wish. It is about 10 miles from Huddersfield

No connection except having camped there with & without wife over the last 6 or 7 years.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
personally i would plan for two nights but be prepared to call it a day after one! have a look at the local camp sites that allow you to have a fire.

i reckon 4 nights is a pretty hardcore start to wild camping and you're risking it being an ordeal rather than a pleasure

Agreed. Two nights is enough for a first time female camper. Personally I'd avoid sites with showers etc, real country is more rewarding.

Take wet-wipes and decent food and tipple. Make yourself a great fire and she'll be well happy.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Try Parkgates in the Lakes. Only has 1 bog & 1 shower but allows campfires. Or Fishergound - a bit more mainstream.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
The way I did it with an ex-GF was to pick a smaill site owned by a pub which did very pleasant food + beer, and excellent showers, loos etc and booked for 2 nights mid week when it was quiet, the following 2 nights were booked in at a good B+B. The site also allowed fires. My logic was that if the camping didn't work it was only 2 nights before she had all the facilities.

Worked very well, and she got the camping bug and we cancelled the B+B.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
First time i took the missus away camping, was a month after we started dating, Booked 2 nights in Goathland, on a farm which turned out to be Greengrass's farm, The facilities were very basic but clean, She loved it, Sitting round the fire having a few beers.
We go back whenever we can with the kid's, They love it and the open space.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Somewhere with a lake or stream would be good for the hygiene, and also a fantastic view. If possible near toilets too. If the camp craft activites dont sell it to her then maybe the scenery will.
Maybe bringing a potty will be a good compensate for the first time, or prehaps you can go to the site beforehand and build a basic toilet.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Don't go to a big site where she'll see people 'glamping'. It might put horrible ideas into her head!

If you go wild camping or somewhere without facilities, make sure you take one of the ...er...toilet products. One of these perhaps http://www.thebrowncorporation.com/ or the 'Pocket Toilet'. Also a big pack of baby wipes for her to generally keep clean and dry shampoo for her hair. If she can keep clean and tidy she's less likely to feel uncomfortable without you having to go to a big commercial camp-site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE