'Tactical' Tomahawks...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ejcb

Dec 29, 2012
UK
As a new member of the forum, I was hoping to pick your collective brains with reference to hawk options for UK residents.

For work in the woods I prefer a wooden handled, and thus, replaceable and repairable tool... more recently I've been examining further options such as those in the link below.

http://www.brownsafe.com/blog/top-10-tactical-tomahawks/

Apart from the united and condor offerings ( which I understand to be available in the UK I was wondering people's experiences with tactical tomahawks.

Unusual first post but thanks in advance!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Hello and welcome to the forum. I think you'll be struggling to find anyone experienced in the practical use of 'Tactical Tomahawks' at least amongst the Brit contingent. There is one member who when armed with his pink Spork can be a bit violent, but only if you really upset him...

" and mean tactical tomahawk that is ready to raid your next drug lab or terrorist cell now."

Crikey!! ok, but personally I'm not sure they would be ideal for splitting kindling in a wood in Shropshire, but I may be wrong, and hopefully someone may be able to assist you with your enquiry.. :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Welcome to the forum :),

I think unless your looking to join a SWAT team for generally scalp someone your original choice of a wood handled hatchet would be a more appropriate tool.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Welcome. I think you need to imagine a conversation you may have in a wood somewhere...

"What this, officer? It's a tactical tomahawk. I need it to chop sticks...
...What is the spikey bit for? Er... I think it's for bashing heads in."

Z

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I've used a cold steel pipe hawk for a long time before I changed to an sfa.
My findings were:

A tomahawk can be used as a tool in the bush, but it is a compromise. It was meant as a weapon. For starters a tomahawk has a handle, rather than a helve, which is quite thin and uncomfortable for chopping. The handle is actually designed to slip out of your hands while throwing, not so safe for chopping.

Secondly, the head is very thin and designed for cutting deeply into flesh, this makes for bad splitting, for which the head should be thicker and more triangular in shape.

Also keep in mind the head of the tomahawk without the handle doesn't make for a good knife. I've tried it's so uncomfortable to hold you're better of with a few flint flakes than with just a tomahawk head.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have used the SOG tomahawk out in Afghan, some i knew out there used one (yes he was a Yank) they do have a place on operations but it still a small place, in woods in the UK i would also suggest the cold steel hawk, I have seen it in the hands of a few people and it does OKish in the woods here but I would think a small axe or hatchet would be better such as this: http://www.greenwood-direct.co.uk/d...loadindex.29?gclid=CPfumYn7wbQCFUbKtAodOwUALw or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hand-Hatche...C5UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356864740&sr=8-1 (that should give you an idea.

The main problem with tactical hawks is the spike and explaining it to a police officer or forestry commission warden. there are a few with a large hammer type head but they are mainly found from the states.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Personally I have a problem with anything that gets described as "Tactical" or mentions the word "Zombie" in its name.
Tactical Zombie killing tool would be the worst possible combination I can think of.

First things first, what use is the spike? Imagine going camping somewhere and a copper stopping you on the way there. What possible half arsed excuse are you going to use to explain the need for it?
Then imagine standing in court with exhibit A in a placky bag.

People who carry hatchets can be on thin ice as far as the police are concerned anyway and legislation is slowly getting tighter, please don't knacker it up for everyone by taking the mick.
I could see the use for something like an Estwing Carpenters Hatchet whilst out camping as the hammer part might be of some use as well as the sharp for chopping but to be honest I'm a carpenter and the only time I use an axe at work is when some numpty wants a bit of wood to look old and distressed

I was young and daft as well though so in amongst the things that live in the eaves cupboard is a Chris Reeves Survival knife with sawteeth on the spine, its about as much use as a chocolate fireguard to me but was expensive when I got it and its a low serial number (15) so I'm keeping it till someone offers me some decent cash for it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally I have a problem with anything that gets described as "Tactical" or mentions the word "Zombie" in its name.
Tactical Zombie killing tool would be the worst possible combination I can think of.

You really aren't trying hard, might I suggest

The Black Stealth coated Special Forces Tactial Ninja Zombie killing Weapon?

Binxie

Tenderfoot
I had been looking at these for myself. They do look good but I doubt to be honest it would be any good at cutting up wood and I'd constantly be paranoid about being stopped by the Old Bill. That been said, I would consider keeping one of these in my car for dispatching the pheasants which periodically throw themselves in front of my car.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
You really aren't trying hard, might I suggest

The Black Stealth coated Special Forces Tactical Ninja Zombie killing Weapon?

Ok you got me. I should have tried harder. Stealth was a very good addition and special forces was a masterstroke.
I'm humbled.

I had been looking at these for myself. They do look good but I doubt to be honest it would be any good at cutting up wood and I'd constantly be paranoid about being stopped by the Old Bill. That been said, I would consider keeping one of these in my car for dispatching the pheasants which periodically throw themselves in front of my car.

<Policeman mode> Wringing their necks not being an option for sir? <Policeman mode>

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...work in the woods I prefer a wooden handled, and thus, replaceable and repairable tool..I was wondering people's experiences with tactical tomahawks..."

I have fancied one of the Gransfors French trade axes for some time and have used one in the past.

How skilled are you with an axe? What are the activities you would use it for? My experience would suggest that a 'modern' axe along the lines of the SFA or similar is much easier to use, much easier to gain skills and experience with. Simply having a shaped handle can make a big difference to your day to day work. A tomahawk looks good, fits in with how many of us would like to imagine we should look, there are folks out there who can use one with great proficiency, however I'd think most of them started out with a more modern design. As for being able to replace the handle? Why not just wait till you get home. :)

The tactical aspect? Really? You'll end up looking like some Walter Mitty type (modified cold steels excepted).

In short, get down to B&Q and get something more conventional or look at the SFA or similar axes from other manufacturers, pack it deep in your rucksack, get out to your 'permission' and work on those skills.

Oh and welcome.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE