Alternative to UK army issue Jungle Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I was wondering if the collective wisdom of the group could answer a question for me and my eldest, he is waiting for a new posting and asked me if I knew of a better option than the issue Jungle Sleeping Bag.

I have looked at a couple of the Snugpak Tactical and Special Force offerings and the US Army modular system but I would welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Sean

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Do you know where he is being posted?
Hot countries can get really cold on a night.
What doesn't he like about the issue bag?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have just the green patrol bag from the US modular sleep system - it's a great bag!

I can't do a direct comparison to the jungle bag as I've never used it. I can however add my endorsement to the patrol bag. It's a lightweight, easily compact bag that's more than adequate for half the year.

Another lightweight and compact option from US gear would be a poncho liner.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
thanks for the info, the US patrol bag sounds like it's worth a look
I don't think that he asked because he is expecting to go anywhere in particular (I did ask if he needed to stock up on sun cream and the like and he said no....) but he likes the idea of a small bag and a kip mat all rolled into a bivvy ready to go at short notice

thanks for the pointers, it's always good to know that I can get a second opinion on stuff like this! cheers

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
The UK issued hot-weather/jungle bags (2003 onwards) originally came in two variants, both of which were utterly useless because they were not even warm enough for their intended use yet weighed about 1kg.

They are available online for about £25 but I wouldn't recommend them for anything but picnic rugs.

Some lads were lucky enough to have been issued the Snugpak equivalent which was much lighter in weight and slightly warmer in use; I say lucky lads but in reality they would have been issued the bag because they were heading to the Green Zone for 6 or 7 months ...

Snugpak Elite 1 is a good bag for hot climates and summer use, he should be able to get a new one for about £65.

The current issue cold weather bags are Carinthia and they're good.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
From what I can gather the new gear being issued is mostly off the shelf stuff and not designed especialy for the MOD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE