A non-EU custom charges tale (beware!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
He'll be one of those that says his item didn't arrive and put a PayPal claim in that stings some seller not smart enough to use tracked and signed for. :rolleyes:

I was hardly trying to be all high and mighty about it, I was just stating a point, and an opinion. Still, if you want to take it personally, I'll leave you to it. I don't expect to be insulted on a forum where opinions are shared.

Brynglas

Could he not sent it to you as a gift or present, prearranged with him before purchase.
If the vendor gets pinged by US Customs/ IRS marking up his overseas sales incorrectly, and he would be pinged if HMRC found the parcel to be incorrectly labelled as they'd report to the US; he would be penalised by the US authorities, for this reason, many US vendors are, quite rightly, reluctant to do this.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
He'll be one of those that says his item didn't arrive and put a PayPal claim in that stings some seller not smart enough to use tracked and signed for. :rolleyes:

I was hardly trying to be all high and mighty about it, I was just stating a point, and an opinion. Still, if you want to take it personally, I'll leave you to it. I don't expect to be insulted on a forum where opinions are shared.

Now it's getting personal, high and mighty maybe not, now though, condescending maybe.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK

I took it personally when you said i was defrauding HMRC, so what, i said it on a pubic forum.

No need for you to jump in and tell me what i've done in illegal. I know that already.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
That's that you know but recommending someone else breaks the law isn't a great idea is it?

It's also breaking rule 7 of the forum

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I can't be bothered trying to engage in an adult conversation with you

don't bother replying your now on my ignore list

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What you're recommending is illegal. If you spend money on an item, it's not a gift. A prudent seller will mark the package at the correct value because it's their responsibility to do so. ....

I've sent legitimate gifts to the UK before and yeah, I put the value on the customs label. That said, I either used the price I paid for it here or I estimated (as best I could) it's value here. I suspect some of those items might well be dearer there though.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It is often pointed out to people that the best prices for (manufactured abroad) knives are to be found in shops like Hennie Haynes. The import duties are why their prices are higher than the $ prices.

Getting a retailer or maker in another country to try to sneak past customs could put them in trouble, as you have pointed out.
There is nothing illegal (it is just on your own morals) about having a friend abroad buy something for you and ship it to you as a gift. However, HMRC may still decide that you are 'importing' the item and it is up to you to prove that you are receiving a gift. Also, if you then have problems with the item, you may run into issues as you were not the original purchaser.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I once crossed the border into Mexico from the USA on a day visit. I'd never tasted tequila and it was only about a dollar a bottle in those days so I bought one to try it. I hadn't realised that I would have to pay a large amount of duty on it when we went back into Texas: equal to nearly twice the original cost of the bottle. SWMBO was lived as we were on a very tight budget. The worst thing was that it tasted pretty awful but she said, "You bought it: you drink it!" Pride made me sip it with simulated enjoyment in the evenings round the campfire. That bottle seemed bottomless: it only single malts and vieux armagnac bottles lasted that long!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE