'Tactical' Tomahawks...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Just had a quick look a the site, some very fast looking bits of kit there......

Nooo! Don't look too closely at the website, especially if you are of a twitchy disposition..:lmao:

Photograph 6 Sibert Comanche..Some prize Walt has left his MP5 with a magazine on, the working parts forward and the selector lever on 'Fire'...:nono: :buttkick: :lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've got a very old Plumb hatchet as well as two tommahawks (but they're ordinary hawks, not tactical ones) The tommahawks are winning me over for their lightness and ease of carry. They also look more nostalgic (pioneering, maybe the right word) At least my ordinary ones do; I wouldn't think I'd get the same feeling with a tactical one. But they do take a bit getting used to before they're anywhere near as effective as the hatchet.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I agree with the above comments, and I am looking into getting a trail hawk myself. I wouldn't have commented, exept, when I looked on the link I saw this
The axe’s use in warfare goes back to the days of Vikings who wielded them with bone crushing effect.
and I just have to say :lmao: what a load of rubbish! stone-age skeletons have been found with their heads bashed in, and ten to one it was an axe that was used! And as for "what's the spikey bit for then?" "opening cans, sir!":) (I know I'd get nicked anyway, but that's the only use I can think of)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
No No No! I have just looked at the website and it is just typical US militarist"tacticool" wannabe fantasy so far as I am concerned. Just looking at the blurb, what possible use could honest and effective "law enforcement" have with a tool that is designed for on the job lobotomy?

I have at the moment a small hatchet for splitting wood, I gave my old wood chopper back to my brother (who incidentally lost my old machete, how can you lose a machete?) What I use is an honest to goodness old fashioned English tool not something out of Predator vs the last of the Mohicans.

Ejcb

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Many thanks for the responses, I have no interest in the black stylings in terms of 'tactical' - just looking more in terms of having an 'all metal' offering as well as a wooden one.

I can imagine the spike could be useful for general tenderising of wood etc but like I said I'm moe interested in function than posing with it!

A colleague of mine from the uk forces spent some time attached to us naval sf, some of whom liked the option of a hawk or something similar as a breaching / cqb tool and even in small boat ops, probably personal preference rather than issued - go figure :/

Then again some of the lads at Poole are issued sog seal pups and powerlock multi tools - slightly more reasonable!

Thanks!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No No No! I have just looked at the website and it is just typical US militarist"tacticool" wannabe fantasy so far as I am concerned. Just looking at the blurb, what possible use could honest and effective "law enforcement" have with a tool that is designed for on the job lobotomy?....

I must have missed something. i don't remember anybody suggesting it for law enforcement. A few suggetions (mostly negative for the tactical version) as a woods tool, and a few suggestions as a preference for military members. But NOTHING about law enforement use; rather how you would explain needing one to a L.E.O.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Don't firefighters in the states have those red axes with a spike on them? (Or is that just in the movies?:eek:) The use there would be to free people from things and to get into buildings.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Don't firefighters in the states have those red axes with a spike on them? (Or is that just in the movies?:eek:) The use there would be to free people from things and to get into buildings.

I've seen a metal with rubber or plastic handle covering firefighters axe from the UK that had a spike on the back years ago.

The one I saw at a sale had a flat bit of steel, maybe 3/8ths thick that formed the head and handle inner and then the handle outer was black insulation and tested to 20,000 volts written on the insulation. It was 20 odd years ago I saw it anyway.
There's one the same at the top of THIS webpage advertising firemans kit.
OK for smashing through doors but not a vast amount of use for out camping in the UK.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

They do. They're called Polaski. But they're not tommahawks; rather full sized and full weight axes.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
They do. They're called Polaski. But they're not tommahawks; rather full sized and full weight axes.

I understand I was just suggesting a use for the spike, but I suppose in bushcraft there aren't many uses for the spike.
Wait I got one! To make a drinking hole in a coconut!:D

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Ok I concede that Law Enforcement and the Fire Brigade, may occasionally need forced entry, but I believe for the most part they use something a bit more sophisticated than a tiddly "tactical" tommy hawk.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ok I concede that Law Enforcement and the Fire Brigade, may occasionally need forced entry, but I believe for the most part they use something a bit more sophisticated than a tiddly "tactical" tommy hawk.

Agreed. As law enforcement I used a 12 guage with rifled slugs to shoot out the locks. Firemen use full size axes.

I'm not a fan of "tactical" tammahawks either.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Over on the op's linked site, first line of text.

:)

Thanks. I hadn't actually looked at the link. That said, those hawks on the link don't relly look like a tactical hawk so much but rather like the escape tools found in aircraft (for escaping crashed and twisted aircraft)

At least they don't look like the tactical hawks I used to see the SF carrying when I was still on active duty.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Dragging a log?

Not going to be a patch on a proper log turning Peavey though.

standardpeavey.1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE