Swiss Army style knife suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
If I may suggest something - I would go for a SAK with all the tools required except for the Phillips driver, and couple this with something like the True Utility mini driver, which would attach to the SAK keyring.

http://www.heinnie.com/true-utility-minidriver

Or if you are a practical person you could probably knock up something similar using a quarter inch hex bit holder, then you would have a wide choice of interchangeable bits.

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Quick update on this, I came across a cheap Draper tool that seemed to fit the bill, I've been happy with their products in the past so I took a punt on it. Here it is next to one of my dad's Vics, which itself probably needs some TLC so excuse the condition.

About the same size and weight, but the Draper is 5 layer and this vic is 4.

The blade on the Draper is a bit shorter (~55mm), a bit thinner (1-2mm) and a bit more curved all the way along. But it's sharp enough out of the box (well, packet), took some small tinder shavings off a dry birch stick I had without any problems. There's no smaller blade on the Draper.

Similar story with the saw blades, the Draper is a little shorter than the vic but also quite a bit thicker, around 2mm where the vic is 1mm (I realise this may not be a good thing). Fewer teeth per inch too.

It also has this weird kind of blunt saw blade with a notch on the end that I haven't quite figured out what it's for. Bread knife? Fork?

Lot of tool for £4.53. I don't expect the world from it, if it doesn't last very long then if nothing else I could just learn what I like, what I actually use and what I feel is missing. But I have to say, it doesn't feel like there's a huge difference in quality between the two.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
The weird blade is a fish descaler and hook disgorger, or used as a fork by some ! :D

Cheers, Paul

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
vic-onehandgerman.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I also would stick to the real deal, the cheap ones I see are a waste of money

a SAK will last a lifetime

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I also would stick to the real deal, the cheap ones I see are a waste of money

a SAK will last a lifetime

I second that, in my opinion there is no better. I don't know how they do it for the price. I currently have 5 SAK's and I would say it is scarce a day goes by without my using any of them.

jius

Apr 12, 2015
All Over
Love my SAKs too. I have Alpine and Picnicker models, both 111mm(4.4") side locks! Excellent knives and like little lasers, had them 25 years, so look after them and they last. They are great cubs/scouts knives too. I use them for small work, food prep when camping as back-up or companion to my larger full tang knives. I'm not a fan of the non-lockable ones, don't want any 'pinches' on fingers or close on me, but I can see advantages (mostly legal ones) for little EDC SAKs.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Non locking SAK's (and all non locking knives) are fine if used with care. The fact that they are fully UK legal means that we can actually use them in most situations as well. I use mine many times a day every day, but my Vic Spirit (with locking tools) I only use at work and home. I wish it didn't lock.

Ali Graham

May 16, 2011
Doncaster
Just reading through this thread. I too am looking for an EDC victorinox. I like the look of the Outrider and have noticed a few people mention it.
When I looked online though I have seen reviews saying it has a locking blade and that the blade is over 8cm in length? Could someone please clarify?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You are spoiled for choice, I am not content with one for all purposes I have several.

The tools I would not be without however are tin opener, bottle opener, screw driver, blade, awl, and last but not least saw.

If it were legal my EDC would be the Rucksack because the blade is a good size and the saw is the best of the lot. However the Farmer is what I have to content myself with when I do not have sufficient reason to carry the former. There are times when I want more tools, when the Tinker Deluxe is what I carry though it is a bit bulky.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Quick update on this, I came across a cheap Draper tool that seemed to fit the bill, I've been happy with their products in the past so I took a punt on it. Here it is next to one of my dad's Vics, which itself probably needs some TLC so excuse the condition.

About the same size and weight, but the Draper is 5 layer and this vic is 4.

The blade on the Draper is a bit shorter (~55mm), a bit thinner (1-2mm) and a bit more curved all the way along. But it's sharp enough out of the box (well, packet), took some small tinder shavings off a dry birch stick I had without any problems. There's no smaller blade on the Draper.

Similar story with the saw blades, the Draper is a little shorter than the vic but also quite a bit thicker, around 2mm where the vic is 1mm (I realise this may not be a good thing). Fewer teeth per inch too.

It also has this weird kind of blunt saw blade with a notch on the end that I haven't quite figured out what it's for. Bread knife? Fork?

Lot of tool for £4.53. I don't expect the world from it, if it doesn't last very long then if nothing else I could just learn what I like, what I actually use and what I feel is missing. But I have to say, it doesn't feel like there's a huge difference in quality between the two.

Noooo, it will fall apart eventually, I had a Chinese knock off copy of the Swiss Champ once, it eventually did just that, fell apart. There is no way a cheap copy is going to reproduce the quality of a genuine SAK, in fact I would venture to say even Sheffield's best can't beat the SAK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE