Swedish Snow Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I left the original button son mine as they were dyed green with the smock and if they can survive 3 machine washes i think they should be tough enough despite being paper/card

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
mines clearly been used - theres a repair on the hood and 5 different buttons on it thats why they are getting changed - not exactly Grade 1 surplus but it has enough charm to let that one go....

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Help, chaps - what's the best size of these smocks to get for a manly 40" chest plus 3 layers of wool (Ulfrotte + Swanni + Swedish army fleece)? I dont want some enormous thing draging round my ankles!

Cheers,
Ted W

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Has anyone had any joy waterproofing theirs I have tried waxing mine but the weave is to wide and I regret doing it now as it is not water proof and stiff now

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Mine's just arrived. Had a repair under one arm but otherwise it looks OK. I got the large and it looks pretty big (usually wear XL). Can't decide whether to go for the OG or the Woodland Brown. As it will probably become a summer carry for showery weather, the OG is winning at the moment. Might use half the recommended amount to make it nearer Khaki than forest green - any advice? Antler buttons, BCUK badge - could be the basis for a 'schrafter's uniform.:)

I want to waterproof it and had intended to use Grangers - what have others used?

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i waxed the matching trousers and as said earlier in this thread, the weave is too open and i didn't think it did much apart from make them very stiff. it seemed to do the trick but in use it was a pain. didn't include it in my project smock in the end, and have kept it untreated.
could give fabsil or cotton proof a go, but i should imagine its just trying to get a product to do something its not designed for.

Suomäki

Sep 6, 2011
Finland
Mine are a full button front with double flaps, drawcord at bottom and middle.
The label inside reads C46.
White plastic buttons whch turned pink when dyeing thesmocks dark blue and black.

C46 is size code, normal, chest 92cm, like C54 means normal, chest 108 cm...

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Any updates on waterproofing the smocks? I have one now and want to waterproof it.

I have one of these smocks,in an unaltered condition.During the last winter I wore it a great deal whilst walking the dog,often in falling snow,and it never let any water in.If I were you,I'd give it a chance to so that you can discover how waterproof it might already be.The fabric is quite a heavy weave,and should resist some rainfall.
I wore my snugpack jacket underneath,and was almost too warm.
No doubt about it,they are great smocks.Good luck,whatever you do with it.

Sep 29, 2011
scotland
dylon seems to be the only readily avalible dye over here

colours wise i've seen pretty much all the range used - depends on what you want to use it for - blending in or standing out...

not found out how to introduce myself at the mo so for now hello! just wanted to add here that last year i purchased 3 of the full button arctic parka version of this i gave them all a hot prewash to remove any hidden marks or stains that any dylon dye may not have adhered too, i found that if you add 650g of salt rather than the 500g that dylon suggest that colour finished result was much much better as the xtra salt opens up the pours on this material letting the colour thru fully ,i dyed one the intense purple ,another in yellow believe it or not and the other the tulip red all came out exactly as they looked on the box,apart from the yellow which was tad darker obviously as the base colour is this offwhite grey colour,, this xtra salt deffinately helps produce a more solid colour when dying these swedish types, as ive tried another couple since with the 500g and they were a bit lighter and uneven and had to get another dye ,,SO just a tip that 650g od salt instead od dylons suggested 500g will deffinately help in creating a more solid even colour to your smock/parka

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Any updates on waterproofing the smocks? I have one now and want to waterproof it.

Well I tried to waterproof mine with some Nik wax cotton proof washin stuff. It kind of worked, the water does bead on it but it still soaks it fairly quickly. Going to have another go with the 2nd half of the bottle and put the smock in the tumble dryer to see if that helps.

edelweiss

Sep 27, 2011
Austria
Well I tried to waterproof mine with some Nik wax cotton proof washin stuff. It kind of worked, the water does bead on it but it still soaks it fairly quickly. Going to have another go with the 2nd half of the bottle and put the smock in the tumble dryer to see if that helps.

Putting it in the tumble dryer certainly should help. From my experience these wash-in waterproofing stuff like Nikwax performs better after heat application. You might also try to
steam iron it.

Another possibility would be Erdal Aqua Stop. I don't know if it's available in the UK, but if it is, you might want to give it a try. Smells horribly during application, but really does the
job. I recently waterproofed a poly-cotton smock with this, and the water just beads of.

Oct 11, 2011
North Wales
I'd thought about sending off for one of these, in the past, but just never got around to it. After reading this truly inspiring thread, however, I ordered one last Friday, and it arrived today. And I'm glad I did: they're a cracking piece of kit. They must have some big lads in that there Swedish Army, though, because I've got a 50" chest, and mine's got loads of room (I was a bit concerned that the sizes only went up to XL). Brilliant: plenty of room to move, and plenty of room for layers when the weather gets colder.

Haven't made any final decisions on mods, yet, but, like I said, there's plenty of inspiration in this thread. I'll post a couple of photos when it's done.

RobvG

Sep 16, 2011
Eindhoven
Well, I got mine in as well. It has more holes then an emmentaler cheese, I don't mind a patched hole or two but with this one I lost count. So much for grade 1... Does anyone know a place to get them beside the wholesale stores or genuinearmysurplus? genuinearmysurplus has a horrible horrible service with their webshop (in the end I had to settle for half my order). I've mailed them that this is not really acceptable but since I had to wait 1.5 month for this delivery I rather lost hope I can exchange it.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I've just bought one of these from a local army surplus, it was already dyed green. It cost me £25 which i didn't mind paying as it was already dyed. They had a few in so if anyones interested send me a few measurements and i can pop in and see what they've got.....and of course you pay the postage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE