Swedish Snow Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Hi all,
I've seen a few threads on these Swedish snow smocks that a few of you have dyed.
I am thinking of trying to get hold of one for a little project of my own, dying maybe changing the buttons etc!!!

Does anyone know where you can still get them from???

And also if you have modded one can you post a pic?/
Many thanks!!!:red:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Mountain_Pack-2.jpg

I use mine as a light summer jacket.

It was already dyed when I got it from someone at the Moot last year.

My only alterations have been changing the buttons for wooden ones and sewing a BcUK badge on it.

Snap! Doing the exact same thing.
I have ordered from Genuine Army Surplus middle of last week and it was dispatched yesterday.

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/products/detail/rowid=692

Im looking at maybe dying this one and using it for the warmer weather. Once I get an idea of what it is like I may buy another or two to make a full winter one with a bit extra length, fur ruff and a couple of other alterations.

I was looking at dying the summer one with Dylon dye which seems readily available.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Corso, I'm interested...what mods are you thinking of doing?

green summer one -waterproof it, shorten it to mid thigh, change the front pockets to a single chest handwarmer kangaroo pocket like this
IMG_2398.jpg

brown winter one - same pocket arragment as above, wool cuffs, fur collar, water proof it.

I havn't quite settled on th colours but i'm thininking dylon terracota brown and olive green - but I havn't yet see eithr in daylight to be sure failing tha one will be antique grey

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Corso,the dylon earth brown is a better colour imho,ive got two snow smocks dyed this colour(ive seen the terracotta and its quite bright,also got a smock dyed og,looks quite good,and one dyed pebble beige,ive replaced the buttons on the all with US bdu buttons,and waterproof'd 2 of the 4.

Interesting mod....were you thinking of hacking away at another smock to add to the other one?

I just checked our local tesco and they dont seem to stock the dylon dye any more.

Not sure if this will help...
http://www.dylon.co.uk/colours.html

Anyone for flamingo pink? :D

I couldnt see the earth brown that you mentioned Andy. But the pebble beige looks good and i am sure it would be fine for winter too, colour wise. Any chance you could pop some pics up just to show the contrast?

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Corso,the dylon earth brown is a better colour imho,ive got two snow smocks dyed this colour(ive seen the terracotta and its quite bright,also got a smock dyed og,looks quite good,and one dyed pebble beige,ive replaced the buttons on the all with US bdu buttons,and waterproof'd 2 of the 4.

hi andy, i have one dyed dark green but i need to waterproof it, any reccommendations please? oops, mrcairney beat me to it :)

steve

Last edited:

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Cheers Panda. I think for less than £15 these things will be great until winter comes (if it isn't here already) Now, if I could just get my hands on a good wool shirt...

Oh, one more thing. How's the sizing? I hear these are mental big.

Last edited:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
You can dye fabric with nettles to get an earthy green colour. If you soak the garment in a bucket of rusty nails before hand this acts as a mordant to make the dye from the nettles stick to the cloth more readily - you get some wonderful shades using nettles. If you want a quick and easy colour I would say go with the Dylon, but if you are into a more natural and eco-friendly dye, go with nettles.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got one of these smocks in a box somewhere (complete with matching trousers). I must get around to doing something with it.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
my two have turned up - they are actually a little different - on first inspection one is white the other is off white - deliberatly i think ? one also seem a little thicker and heavier?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

Any chance of daylight pics mate? I'm still undecided about the colour - I'm now thinking antique grey but the brown might work if its not too dark

Hows the sizing?

(That was meant for Corso)

oddly even though thy are both size 1 (small) the thinner ligher oneis smaller -infact it fits like waylands one - I'm 5'6" 38" chest an it fits perfect over my wool shirt

thethicker heavierone is cearly longer although i havn't measured it up yet s i left it at work

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE