Swedish Snow Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
ahhh, i was up your way earlier in the year, i was up at sunnydale park right by the estuary and was able to watch the herc's flying in low, nearest base is Donna Nook but i thought that was just missles there, anywho. the beach coming is good along our stretch, i did a section with a mate down by Thornham and it was covered in clam shells. i reckon its ripe for a bit of digging out along the muddy bits. must remember my shovel next time. have fun coming, pics would be great!
Cheers!

Mostly around the scunny area, I am planning a trip down the coast, slightly more your way, for a bit of beach combing

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I had a look at that site yesterday and thought it would be great for a group buy. Now you mention its a min order. Doubt we could get that much interest. Knew it was too good to be true.

Anyways here is the photo of mine, im 5ft 7", slimish build and actually have a head :)
The sleeves are a tad long when I have not pulled them up to the wrist. I may replace this with velcro, makes it easier to adjust in the cold than a button.

Winter-smock by pandabean2010, on Flickr
Hiya Pandabean, does your smock have an internal drawcord? looks like it, mine doesn't and it really could do with one. you have the white buttons on yours too, i wonder if yours is a newer one? mines the same as pignut's and has metal buttons, i got told by the supplier it was 1950's issue. brand new too!

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I was thinkig that about he draw cord too - mines got these odd looking cardboard? buttons

Yes the smock does have an internal drawcord, although I was thinking of trying to make this come out the front instead of on the inside, which would make more sense as you have to lift the front to get under and adjust the cords.
This seems pretty new, although it does have marks on it from how it was kept I guess, plus one button missing at the front flap on the hood. There are no dates or anything like that apart from the logo on the face flap of C54 and a stamp of 3 crowns with some faded wording.

When I was looking I had noticed there appears to be 2 versions as well, I wonder if Corso has the 2 different versions from what he described.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
from what i understand there is a version with a full button front, up the middle closing with drawcords bottom and middle.

Then the over the head smock. they probably just tweaked the design over the years,adding different features etc.

the C54 either is the model or the year of manufacture generally, or it could be the year that model came out, so it might have been produced in 1995 but still be the C54(1954) model.

paper buttons were often issued for arctic clothing by allied and soviet countries, so odds are it was tried out on the swedish stuff too. i assume metal was first used as it didn't perish so quickly, but is not good with bare flesh in the cold, so the probably then tried paper and also if i were a betting man, wood, but then settled on a high quality plastic, also most likely dabbled in bakelite before settling on the plastic ones.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
just re checked mine and it doesn't have the C54 inside it, but does have the 3 crowns. however, the trousers i bought with it, that were sold as german, and are of a ventile type material just really thick, has C54 label inside. i have linked to the type but not the seller. they have the same plastic buttons as your smock so i guess must be swedish also, but my smock is a fairly floppy coarse material that behaved differently while being dyed with the trousers which are a very tight smooth weave.
http://www.europeanarmysurplus.co.uk/shopitem.php?itemid=RWSE009-UV-WT

the smock went like a oak leaf shade of patchy green and the trousers which like i said look like ventile but very thick, have gone a grey green flawless finish.

going to re-dye when the project is done. so maybe it'll even out.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
When I was looking I had noticed there appears to be 2 versions as well, I wonder if Corso has the 2 different versions from what he described.

you may be right 'm sure I read on a thread a whileback there were 3 versions

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Tried looking on Ebay, sweden but need the Swedish name! Loads in the USA but got some very crazy shipping prices. Really want the trousers too..

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
The trousers are huge, couldn't tell which size I have, came to me as large. They are probably a 50 waist that splits wide over one of the pockets with a drawcord. They are top drawer though.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
cool will look for som

as an aside I've sorte the kangaroo pocket it just needs the machine to it - hopefully tomorrow :D

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
This is mine so far i have dyed it OG and fitted a drawcord to the bottom to stop the wind getting up not fitting one in the waist my belt will pull that in things i still need to do is change the buttons it looks ok so far;)

smock001.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nice one

misses has knocked up the pocket for me - just needs attaching at the right height

then its going to get some colour - have settled on antique grey after a wash of course

and new buttons i'm thinking antler :D

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
This is mine so far i have dyed it OG and fitted a drawcord to the bottom to stop the wind getting up not fitting one in the waist my belt will pull that in things i still need to do is change the buttons it looks ok so far;)

smock001.jpg

Looking good! Is that the cold dye or the one you put in the washing machine?

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Mine are a full button front with double flaps, drawcord at bottom and middle.
The label inside reads C46.
White plastic buttons whch turned pink when dyeing thesmocks dark blue and black.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Here's an update on mine - pockets finished :D

P1000324.jpg

Just in the wash now - then its going to get some colour - Antique Grey
also looking for some buttons - torn between stag and wood at the moment - might wait until its coloured and decide then

I'd like to add a shoulder pocket too at some point

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE