Survival v Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraft or Survival Blade?

• Bushcraft Blade

Votes: 185 66.3%
  • Survival Blade

Votes: 54 19.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 40 14.3%

• Total voters

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
But the questioner specificly writes F1 not A1, a total bushcraft knive in my head, i agree the A1 is a survival knife in my head, primarily fit for chopping (slashing) and fighting but can work for bushcraft as well. The others its the otherway around.

survival and bushcraft knives can both be used for the same tasks, they just do it in different styles.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
survival and bushcraft knives can both be used for the same tasks, they just do it in different styles.

huh how is that diffrent from what you quote??

What im talking about is that now that both F1 and A1 is (for you) consideret survival, what is the diffrense then between a survival knife and others??

F1 is clearly intended survival of pilots, which most often dont fly hostile mission oposit infantery, if you down as a pilot you are more likely to do so in a friendly but deserted envioment and the survival is more about living in nature staying put onto help reaches you A1 is intended for infantery use where survival is more about you reaching help/friendly terrirorie by all means. No food no shelter no bushcraft.

In my head they there for made the F1 more of a bushcraft knive (more tool than weapon) than survival knive and the A1 as a survival knife (more weapon than tool).

Please read my earlier posts in this threat before questions or lections.

Last edited:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
huh how is that diffrent from what you quote??

What im talking about is that now that both F1 and A1 is (for you) consideret survival, what is the diffrense then between a survival knife and others??.

the question is where is the line that survival becomes bushcraft and bushcraft becomes survival?

similar skills, different context

in a true survival situation, id just want a knife with enough bulk it will still work after shed loads of abuse

mod type survival knife will do more jobs required to survive or do them better than any sub 4inch knife

you dont need a wooden spoon to survive, but you will need to cut serious amounts of wood initially for shelter and constantly thereafter for fire

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
This is truly an interesting thread! It is clear that opinions vary on knives, always an interesting topic.

Personally, I see a "survival knife" in my mind not as one for a woodsman to carry on a campout but more as a military tool for combat survival. That often means making camoflauge material, shelters or personal defense/offense. When a vendor applies the name "survival" to a knife it implies a tool for use as an aid to surviving the wild. It also implies a military designation, if you will, as a military tool for combat survival.

Truly any study knife is capable to use to make feather sticks, split small wood or help with shelter building, spoon making, trap making and so on. Some designs or styles are just better suited to the purpose. A large blade offers more cutting surface and more weight to swing when chopping. It also could be a better weapon, if needed.

As a retired US Army soldier I mainly carried a larger knife for military duty. Blade from 6 to 7 inches. I also carried a machete in appropriate settings because a 7 inch blade was inadequate.

As a person that likes to trek and camp in the wilderness as much as possible, I carry a knife I consider matched to that purpose. Maximum blade is 5 inches, but is usually 4 to 4 &1/2 inches in length. A Woodlore clone or a Puukko is perfect to my taste. A Mora is always in my daypack in case I need a good knife, and on a dayhike I usually have little need for a knife and a Mora being light and sturdy suits my needs.

One thing I can say about many people in the USA, we mostly grew up with a knife style in our mind about the same as a Marbles or a Buck Special. In my early years, 1950's, '60's and '70's knives known commonly as "hunting knives" were popular, we used them for camping, hunting, fishing and so on. When I was a Scout we had a fixed blade Scout knife that was of that style. So, it is as much tradition as anything that this small Bowie style is still somewhat popular.

If you take a knife like the USAF Survival Knife with it's 5 inch blade and try to actually use it as a camping/bush knife it is awkward and made of lousy steel and is almost impossible to sharpen into a functional tool. Loads of them are still sold every year because they are called a "survival knife".

It is a bit like the word "tactical". If you have a product and you apply the term tactical to it, it will sell better and probably for more money. No idea why that is, but I believe it to be true.

Bottom line, a knife is as personal a choice as a spouse. You should like the way it looks, feels and functions. More importantly you have to be comfortable with your choice.

Cheers!

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I have noticed that the topic of knives comes up a LOT on this forum, and
debates go on in great detail about all the technical aspects one could imagine; but to me a knife is a knife....sure, I make sure I take one with me
on a camping trip,
but personally I don't know or care what type of knife I have or at how
many degrees the blade is sharpened, or what the handle is made of...
10,000 years ago people made do with a chunk of flint, so I figure just
about anything is better than that, yay?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I think that saying "chunk of flint" is over oversimplifying thing a heck of a lot, any old chunk of flint now is just that, but a properly knapped blade made of flint as would have been carried way back then would have been as sharp and as useful as a modern surgeon’s scalpel. A well made flint axe will have a tree down in the same way an axe would, albeit slower, and you have to be more careful with it.
A piece of worked flint made by someone who knows what he is doing is as far from “a Chunk of flint” as a flat ground bar of tool steel is from a handmade knife.
Take a bad knife in to a place where your life depends on it, is asking for it to fail. Life is too important to rely on an old 'butter knife' for a survival tool.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I bought a CRKT Partner many years ago and it has done me just fine. it has heavy drop point blade which keeps a good edge. It does a fairly good job so I don't feel the need to go and buy something else.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well if you look at things logically, survival means, "Every man for himself and the Devil take the Hindmost" to steal a phrase from Werner Herzog. That is to say "Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" with the rider "If you can get away with it"

When the proverbial hits the fan, there is going to be no law and order you will have to make your own and the risk will not be a prison sentence but death, but there you go. Wasn't it always that way :)

Survival has nothing to do with law, it is pure instinct, but bushcraft is something else, in our leisure we should obey the law.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Whatever knife you have with you when you end up in a survival situation would be your survival knife. If you are camping or bushcrafting, then it's your bushcrafting knife. If the survival situation occurs during your every day life, then it's probably going to be whatever pocket knife you have one you or whatever you can get your hands on.

I am still trying to figure out what the terms really mean.

If I was in an urban environment survival situation, maybe a multi-tool would be best. If it is in the wilderness, I would want a machete. That's assuming there is a one item limit. My 2 cents.

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Assuming no limit I'd have 3 knives on my person. All knives that I would consider to be both bushcraft and survival knives as so many skills over lap. I'd have my Russell Green River knife, my Uncle Henry Hunter, and my Victorinox, that I dont' remember the model as I"ve been carrying it for about 16 years now. If only allowed one I'd take the Green river is hefty enough to baton with but has a thin enough blade to do any fine work I need done.

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
survival situation I'm gonna want an A1 over my F1 (which I love) I think the additional chopping/batoning capability of the slightly larger knife would be more practical, smaller blades are better for intricate work which you aren't really going to need to do a whole lot of when trying to survive.

B

Burbidge

I would go with a kukhri which will cover all bases as a large chopping tool coupled with a small whittling/skinning knife and a sharpener all in one handy package!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE