Survival v Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraft or Survival Blade?

• Bushcraft Blade

Votes: 185 66.3%
  • Survival Blade

Votes: 54 19.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 40 14.3%

• Total voters

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
your previous post makes no sense - even a month later and sober.

I don't know how to explain it any simpler than that! I'll try though:

1.Stainless makes a poor knife blade; it's brittle and hard to sharpen
2. 1095 carbon steel is a high carbon steel which is resilient and easy to sharpen
3. The Pilot's Survival knife is made of 1095 carbon steel. 1095 carbon steel is almost identical to #1 tool steel
4. #1 tool steel is what tools such as files and saw blades are made from
5. Old files and saw blades were the most prized items for a blacksmith to use to forge knives with until raw iron became easily and cheaply obtainable
6. 1095 carbon steel was the favorite steel for knife makers and users when it became easily available in the 19th century
7. Stainless became popular after WWII for specialty knives such as diving and later spread because it was "cool"
8. The Pilot's Survival Knife is in no way awkward; it works quite well for anything it's called on to do except it's to small for really heavy work

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I don't know how to explain it any simpler than that! I'll try though:

1.Stainless makes a poor knife blade; it's brittle and hard to sharpen
2. 1095 carbon steel is a high carbon steel which is resilient and easy to sharpen
3. The Pilot's Survival knife is made of 1095 carbon steel. 1095 carbon steel is almost identical to #1 tool steel
4. #1 tool steel is what tools such as files and saw blades are made from
5. Old files and saw blades were the most prized items for a blacksmith to use to forge knives with until raw iron became easily and cheaply obtainable
6. 1095 carbon steel was the favorite steel for knife makers and users when it became easily available in the 19th century
7. Stainless became popular after WWII for specialty knives such as diving and later spread because it was "cool"
8. The Pilot's Survival Knife is in no way awkward; it works quite well for anything it's called on to do except it's to small for really heavy work

I'm sorry but as far as I know this is simply not the case.

Stainless steel is as far as I'm aware not brittle.

Brittleness is a result of high hardness - stainless steels generally do not obtain the same hardness that carbon steel can. ergo a carbon steel blade is generally more brittle. - Stainless sacrifices hardness for corrosion resistance. (high chromium % required)

1095 is a good steel - bog standard carbon steel.

by #1 do you mean 01? - 01 is again a good steel and is very popular for blades these days.
- either way it is not what files or saw blades are made from.

Files are made from W1 -a very good steel which make very tough blades (as it happens this is my favourite steel)
Saw blades - depending on what type of saw you are referring to are made from a multitude steels including L-6 and IIRC 15n20
hacksaw blades are often made from highspeed steels - or often these days bi-metal. again not 01.

I don't understand your point regarding smiths using old files until "Raw iron" became available. - are you suggesting that they used old files for knives then switched over to using iron to forge knives? - please spell out you reply for this point in particular.

Cheers

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm sorry but as far as I know this is simply not the case.

Stainless steel is as far as I'm aware not brittle.

Brittleness is a result of high hardness - stainless steels generally do not obtain the same hardness that carbon steel can. ergo a carbon steel blade is generally more brittle. - Stainless sacrifices hardness for corrosion resistance. (high chromium % required)

1095 is a good steel - bog standard carbon steel.

by #1 do you mean 01? - 01 is again a good steel and is very popular for blades these days.
- either way it is not what files or saw blades are made from.

Files are made from W1 -a very good steel which make very tough blades (as it happens this is my favourite steel)
Saw blades - depending on what type of saw you are referring to are made from a multitude steels including L-6 and IIRC 15n20
hacksaw blades are often made from highspeed steels - or often these days bi-metal. again not 01.

I don't understand your point regarding smiths using old files until "Raw iron" became available. - are you suggesting that they used old files for knives then switched over to using iron to forge knives? - please spell out you reply for this point in particular.

Cheers
True enough stainless by and of itself isn't brittle. When I was still an aviation metal-smith we used 301 stainless extensively on the F4 Phantom and it was very easy to form (easier than most of the aliminum alloys actually). The stainless used in knife blades however is usually (if not always) hardened to a britttle state though.

Possibly what we call #1 tool is the same as you refer to as W1; I'm not as familiar with European classification

Yes old saw blades (sawmill saws mostly) and files were used extensively here by blacksmiths for knife making until after the revolution. The colonies weren't allowed to import raw materials and weren't supposed to manufacture anything that could be exported since their reason for existence was to supply raw materials for British industry. After that they began importing iron and forging their own steel. It was common early on to leave a few of the file teeth showing at the back of the knife blade as evidence of where the steel was obtained because the customers usually preferred this source also.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
In the situation given- survival knife (specifically my MOD knife), otherwise a Mora or similar. The MOD does a lot less better than the Mora, but can manage to do a whole lot more overall with no faffing about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE