survival on an island

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
"I couldn't eat it because there wasn't enough meat so I took it with me and she stayed with me for three months,"

In short, it got to three months old and I bet the dude ate it.

Total badass though - 300 days, all alone. I salute him.

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
oh i got to watch that doc, its one thing spending a couple of days playing at bushcraft but that dude is hardcore!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
yeah it doesnt say if he ate the pig or not!

I mean seriously if you are catching other food isnt it more pyschologically beneficial to keep the pig alive? I couldnt kill my dog for a bit of extra food if I wasnt starving, thats for sure.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
yeah it doesnt say if he ate the pig or not!

I mean seriously if you are catching other food isnt it more pyschologically beneficial to keep the pig alive? I couldnt kill my dog for a bit of extra food if I wasnt starving, thats for sure.

I agree, I bet he did not eat it.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
...I mean seriously if you are catching other food isnt it more pyschologically beneficial to keep the pig alive? I couldnt kill my dog for a bit of extra food if I wasnt starving, thats for sure.
The pid is a good bit of insurance though aint it?

I mean you could keep it with just that intent; you don't have to kill it but should something happen and your really in the kart (like injured say) it's there as backup, each day goes by its fattening up too
:)

[Craven - dont read the following! :p]

People have supposedly used dogs for millenia as hunting packs as they're good for bringing down game. Utilising dogs is a good strategy to have as in really hard times if you couldn't hunt enough game to feed the family you could turn to the dogs for meat.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Hardcore.

"The Pig stayed with me for 3 months" (yet he was there 10) he so ate it :p

My thoughts totaly. Three months of feeding it, fattening it, watching it grow - wondering how many rashers you'll get and what it'll taste like...

My monies on he ate it.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I'd like to know how he "discovered" how to trap and kill a wild pig unassisted. They're pretty dangerous animals; plenty of hunting dogs are injured or killed in Australia each year by feral pigs, and that can be even when the dogs are wearing protective body armour, (usually a thick padded chest-plate type of affair). They're also pretty mean tempered. I know people myself who have been 'treed' by them.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Im sure the one we're talking about would have been fatter than the one he's cooking here:
DSC01086.jpg

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Stuck on a desert island? He'd be fine - bible, complete works of Shakespeare, 8 of his favourite songs and a luxury item (in this case a pig).

:)

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I'd like to know how he "discovered" how to trap and kill a wild pig unassisted. They're pretty dangerous animals; plenty of hunting dogs are injured or killed in Australia each year by feral pigs, and that can be even when the dogs are wearing protective body armour, (usually a thick padded chest-plate type of affair). They're also pretty mean tempered. I know people myself who have been 'treed' by them.

hole in ground, punji sticks at bottom and a very big rock to finish it of???? well that what i would do

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
personally i recon the pig got hit by a talent scout and went off to do Babe 6 or something :D

seriously hardcore though, don't know if i'd be able to manage it myself...

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
appears to be alot of scavenged stuff around the camp, you jsut have to look at some of the 3rd world counries and see how easily everyday things can be used for other purposes.

This is somethign i would love to see ray mears do, on an island or remote mountain and surviving for a few months with the very basics. No camera crew, just him with a few handhelds and several hidden remote control cameras around the camp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE