Survival knife v.s. Bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Bushnoob

Hello all!

This title is a bit more of an eye catcher and may sound a bit over used but it isn't what you think. I understand some people have two light carry set-ups. One set-up being a bushcraft set-up which could include a 4" bushcraft knife, folding saw, or a small axe. The second being their survival set-up which could include a large 6"+ knife and maybe a saw or an axe.

My question is this.....

When do you carry each set-up and why? Why do you carry a survival knife set-up sometimes when going out?

Please respond and I hope this creates some nice responses. Maybe clear some peoples heads about carrying "only 1" knife. This way they could evaluate their situation before assuming a single carry....

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i carry an enzo trapper or a puukko (small knife) and an 8" leuku (large "bushcraft" knife) no saw or axe unless im building or have to chop up a 9" trees worth of firewood ect.
no point in overburdening myself to be honest, i find i can do more than enough with the tools i carry.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I don't really think its a case of a two different & contrasting set-ups, more a preference. I doubt the same person would go out one day to enjoy & participate in the outdoors one day and then go and survive the next, but then there are the "bushcrafters" and then survivalists. What is a survival knife anyway?
Choices & preference, ask 20 free thinkers on here their thoughts on choice of cutting tools and get 20 different answers, and then ask again in 6 months and it will often differ again.
Some people change their opinion on choice of cutty things more often than their underwear;)

My own choice is usually (sadly) dictated by how many people who do not know me I am likely to encounter which usually means a necker of some sort under my top layer or in a pocket and the inoffensive folding saw and given the choice I would have my modded CS trail hawk as well.
I am however venturing into the world of large knives on friday when I pick up my new Ka bar johnson Zombie slayer.........
Who knows what sort of can of worms that one could open!:lmao:

satosato

Forager
May 29, 2009
London
I always carried my Spyderco BushcraftUK on my waist and Ka Bar BK2 in my bag in case the "survival" situation arise! Survival mode will automatically kick in whenever I am put in a distress situation.

i only carry one set up tho its evolved over the years and as a maker i do some times bring a new blade to try out

in the old days before bushcraft a large locking Swiss army knife with saw and a large Kukri did every thing I needed

now ive tryed the 4" Bushcraft thing and to be honest i dont use it even after designing my own blade i prefer to use a 3/4 scale version as a neck knife (so really a fixed replacement to the swiss army blade)

i still use the Kukri but have forced myself to try an axe which to be honest never got used unless i remembered and used it for something i didn't need to so i sold it ( the Kukri doesn't get much Bush craft use)
I dont do chopping of fire wood i just gather and burn shelter is a Hammock so best not to cu th trees down .

One thing that is a step up is a bigger folding Saw and I did carry a Gerber one for a long time before bushcraft and its a big step up from the Swiss army knife (still a very useful saw for its size )
now ive upgraded again mainly to collect larger bits for fire wood or carving to this

can deal with 10" limbs with ease ;)
Dsc_4521.jpg

And i do carry and Axe but its a luxury heavy head GB carving axe for ...carving green wood ;)

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Generally my kit remains the same for any proper outing: I like a scaled down fixed blade with a thin, sharp slicing edge, and a big knife, along the lines of a Kukri is great. One of my all time favourite general purpose outdoors knives is my rubber handled Cold Steel Barong. Anyone who doesn't have one who regularly does a lot of outdoors stuff should at least check them out - they are discontinued as far as I know, but you can still find them now and then online.

Inexpensive, loads of cutting power, the grip is great in all holds and I use mine for everything from felling, limbing, splitting (no baton required ;) ) and also, crucial to me, as a draw knife for roughing out longbows from green staves.

It is easy to sharpen, holds its edge for a long time and I wouldn't part with mine so don't ask !

:)

It is one of the most versatile tools I know of.

That isn't often socially acceptable though, and so some of the time at least a saw or small axe goes along instead.

Despite being a big bloke I like small knives for most of my work and big knives for the rough and tumble stuff.

Whatever works is OK in my book.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Xunil, you've just reminded me I've been craving to try a Barong for long time but have been resisting...

...I keep going back to oggle at the trad filipino ones.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I'm going to make a couple of calls tomorrow to see if I can source any remaining stock.

I have a habit of buying two of anything I like (or that I think I'll like :rolleyes:) and the Cold Steel Barong is definitely one I'd like to ensure supply of, especially now that they are discontinued :(

Mine's the budget one, not the silly-priced wooden handled one they did:

ColdSteelBarongMachete.jpg

Won't win any beauty contests :nono: but it sure can cut :cool:

I particularly like the fact that it has a sharp point unlike most machetes, so I tend to really sharpen up the last couple of inches or so at the tip while the bulk of the edge is left for the heavy chopping and draw knife work. I've roughed out a lot of longbows with mine and all it has is some marks on the black coating to show for it.

Now, to source a spare or two, juts in case...

:)

Last edited:

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
to be honest I do carry a few shaps if i'm out for a wander- a 4" fixed bushcraft knife, a karesuando boar, a mora 120 carving knife incase I fancy a bit of a whittle, and now a spyderco ladybug on a bit of paracord I wear around my neck as well as a bahco laplander- between this lot I haven't found much that I cant cut, so in truth I've never found the need for a 'big' knife I doubt here in the UK you'd ever need one- its not like you're using a parang hacking through the jungle *cough cough*

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
... I've never found the need for a 'big' knife I doubt here in the UK you'd ever need one- its not like you're using a parang hacking through the jungle *cough cough*

Agreed, unless you happen to be harvesting longbow staves in numbers, helping your local estate woodsmen with their felling, limbing and general tidying of their land (in exchange for the right to harvest aforementioned longbow staves), or...

For most outdoors trips I could comfortably get away with a 3" slipjoint folder and I suspect that goes for the vast majority of bushcrafters and yet here we all are, with all manner of cutting tools at our disposal, and with a ton of supporting arguments justifying preference.

Some people need big knives for some tasks.

Others don't.

Some folks just like 'em. Strength to their arm.

Before I bought an electric hedge trimmer I kept my garden in order with an old machete for many years, trimming the apple trees, the border hedge, the holly trees and so on. It made a laborious task relatively easy more times than I care to remember.

Most Granfors axe owners that I have met rarely use their axe. Droves of folks in the UK buy them though and, for them, it's comforting to know that if they ever need to use it, they can. Comforting for Gransfors too I imagine...

The condom principle: better to have and not to need than need and not to have.

I tend to use big knives or smaller than the currently 'standard' bushcraft knife, or no knife at all.

Ironic that bushcraft, if any of us actually did it in its purist sense, would have us using stone or flint blades and not the paraphernalia discussed here.

For a leisure activity that alleges to have its roots buried in the mists of time and that regularly cites ancestral skills we seem to have 'progressed' it into a modern take on a slightly eccentric form of camping :)

I hope we may all one day be forgiven our cutlery sins :D

Last edited:
B

Bushnoob

Agreed, unless you happen to be harvesting longbow staves in numbers, helping your local estate woodsmen with their felling, limbing and general tidying of their land (in exchange for the right to harvest aforementioned longbow staves), or...

For most outdoors trips I could comfortably get away with a 3" slipjoint folder and I suspect that goes for the vast majority of bushcrafters and yet here we all are, with all manner of cutting tools at our disposal, and with a ton of supporting arguments justifying preference.

Some people need big knives for some tasks.

Others don't.

Some folks just like 'em. Strength to their arm.

Before I bought an electric hedge trimmer I kept my garden in order with an old machete for many years, trimming the apple trees, the border hedge, the holly trees and so on. It made a laborious task relatively easy more times than I care to remember.

Most Granfors axe owners that I have met rarely use their axe. Droves of folks in the UK buy them though and, for them, it's comforting to know that if they ever need to use it, they can. Comforting for Gransfors too I imagine...

The condom principle: better to have and not to need than need and not to have.

I tend to use big knives or smaller than the currently 'standard' bushcraft knife, or no knife at all.

Ironic that bushcraft, if any of us actually did it in its purist sense, would have us using stone or flint blades and not the paraphernalia discussed here.

For a leisure activity that alleges to have its roots buried in the mists of time and that regularly cites ancestral skills we seem to have 'progressed' it into a modern take on a slightly eccentric form of camping :)

I hope we may all one day be forgiven our cutlery sins :D

Too be honest I like every bit of what you said. I think that is what I really love. I know I won't really need an axe but if it is cold and I want larger logs for a fire it is nice to know it is in my pack.
I think the problem for some if not most people that start bushcraft, including myself, is that we get hung-up on the knife aspect. And we think of survival situations (or light carry and just using the knife) and how well the knife will perform, but what if you don't have a firesteel? Or wood is too damp to make a bowdrill. HELLOOOOO FLINT AND STEEL. It isn't something I am familiar with but in any situation it is better to know how to use it and not have to use it, rather than need to use it and not know how to :p

I also relate the tools in my pack that way. I don't need a saw but it is better to know how to use it properly and know some tricks with it rather than to not know. Same can be said for my axe or any other tool. I wouldn't have guessed how to split logs with a saw until forums and videos. But even though bushcraft is a leisure activity and we don't carry primative tools all of the time there is nothing stopping you from making them during a trip while resting around a fire. And I think that is what makes bushcraft and the relaxation that can come with it so great. You don't always use fire for warmth but time to think and practice more of the primative skills you haven't learned yet. I find when I purposly make it harder on myself to make a shelter and a fire while using little-to-no tools is a good thing, but once I have already done it a few times I find it to be a waste of opportunity. While using the tools to make the job go by faster and having more of that leisure time around a fire I can practice skills I wouldn't normally have the time to do on a normal hike or day trip. It is a decent way to multi-task.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Don't get me started on firesteels.

I can't for the life of me understand why they have become so synonymous with bushcraft at the expense of the actual methods our ancestors practiced (the materials for which are, more often than not, readily available).

Even worse, the firesteel has become such a fully integrated item of kit it is now 'standard issue' to have a knife sheath made with a loop for one.

Firesteel sparks are hotter and there are far more of them than a flint and steel with charcloth, never mind the bow and hand drill. For such a fundamental skill as firelighting I think firesteels should be banned from all bushcraft courses until AFTER bow and hand drill, or (even easier) the fire plough, have been taught.

Thomas J. Elpel's "Three Days at the River - with nothing but our bare hands" should be standard fodder for anyone claiming any interest at all in bushcraft. It is as humbling as it is eye-opening.

No, I don't expect folks to go hardcore with little or no practice or experience, but I don't realistically buy into the kit-driven ethic of bushcraft either, which places itself at the opposite pole.

Firesteels - handy to have, and about as bushcrafty as an iPhone :(

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Don't get me started on firesteels.

I can't for the life of me understand why they have become so synonymous with bushcraft at the expense of the actual methods our ancestors practiced (the materials for which are, more often than not, readily available).

Even worse, the firesteel has become such a fully integrated item of kit it is now 'standard issue' to have a knife sheath made with a loop for one.

Firesteel sparks are hotter and there are far more of them than a flint and steel with charcloth, never mind the bow and hand drill. For such a fundamental skill as firelighting I think firesteels should be banned from all bushcraft courses until AFTER bow and hand drill, or (even easier) the fire plough, have been taught.

Thomas J. Elpel's "Three Days at the River - with nothing but our bare hands" should be standard fodder for anyone claiming any interest at all in bushcraft. It is as humbling as it is eye-opening.

No, I don't expect folks to go hardcore with little or no practice or experience, but I don't realistically buy into the kit-driven ethic of bushcraft either, which places itself at the opposite pole.

Firesteels - handy to have, and about as bushcrafty as an iPhone :(

:lmao: although I fully understand............

I like Firesteels though but will make a point of getting to grips with the friction thing now!

I have an aquaintance who is now a self proclaimed "bushcrafter" (Kit monster) and now everywhere he goes he takes his new bergan and anything that's cool or trendy within these circles is in it or strapped on it.
A full pack and an empty head and doubtful any of it will ever see "the bush"
Kit driven? without a doubt but it makes them happy!

B

Bushnoob

Well I wouldn't always say being kit driven is a bad thing. As it was said before, it is better to have and not need rather than need and not have. But some people are different. I find my most important time is when I am around the fire because that seems to be the only time I can get my friend to stay still lol. He isn't very into the idea of making fire in a traditional way because it takes to long and he seems to be in a rush all of the time. So I find when I am around the fire and I have made it fast with my tools, than I can practice making fire in other ways and just put it out as soon as it seems decent.

I am buying these new items from bensbackwoods:
-Wetterlings wildlife hatchet -----(I will use it sometimes although not all of the time. More of a luxury item and to begin learning)
-LMF army firesteel
-Frost Mora Crooked Knife
-Opinel NO 8 ------(For collection mainly)
-Zebra Billycan 10cm -------(Mainly use during colder days, but always nice to have)
-Grand Trunk Ultra Light Travel Hammock (I won't always use since my forest isn't meant for full-on camping, but maybe on long biking treks)
-Laplander Folding Saw
-JRE Field Strop ------(Just to have since I cannot find a place near me that sells decent leather)
-Lansky Puck Dual Grit Sharpener

All should cost only around and aprox. of $200 Canadian. What do you guys think? Good deal?
I know I am a bit of a kit hungry person but I am still young and have spare money. I'd also rather make one order rather than many different orders to save on S&H taxes. I also have an Enzo Trapper for my bushcraft knife and a RAT-rc4 for my day hike knife when I bring hardly anything but a knife.

Most of these items are a big upgrade from my older tools. My old axe was dull and heavier than the wetterlings, saw is better than the gerber, and everything else is mainly additional kit to try out or to always use.

Thanks for the great responses!

B

Bushnoob

I'm all for the fun factor and I'd rather see the kit-driven folks out and about that not out at all.

The entire bushcraft thing has become its own ironic oxymoron in so many ways.

I understand what you mean though. It really is a bit more than people see it as. Most people don't begin doing it because they want to strive off of what nature can provide them and get a little bit more in touch with it, but they'd rather just chop stuff and make fires. (Guilty as charged for falsely joining although I soon changed my attitude =P)
I think it is getting a bit more confused with camping more than anything. People like the luxury items during camping and just care to get out and there is nothing wrong with that but for hardcore bushcrafters they'd rather gain full knowledge of how things work. Almost like a Chef and a Cook. Some like to cook and they call themselves chefs but they aren't really "Chefs"...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE