Surplus Military cold weather & equipment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Yeah, a wood burner and we occasionally used a kero heater, neither of which we took with us so I'm guessing they were our norgie guests.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Cliff! That's a blast from the past and a trip down memory lane, the 5 as well as 10 man ones right down to the wooden mallet. We never got to use stoves in them though :( Great tent, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Thanks for sharing.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
All good info Cheers,, :)

I know it was a long time ago but do you remember what type the kero heaters were ?? were thay POD heaters ? I know the Swedish Military used them ,

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Wick stoves lanterns & heaters/Pod picture.htm

Twodogs

I really have no idea what they were, but they weren't PODs. They were about 10" tall by 12" wide. We VERY rarely used them as as we were concerned about the gas build up. Only used heaters/tent stoves in rear echelon, never on ex.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
The next bit of military winter gear is a 1980s/90s issue Royal Marine issue short pulk ,

Came with the bar for sking not needed for me :rolleyes:

010-3.jpg

The cover is fitted to the pulk with a good heavy duty zip and three tie downs ( the grab handles are a Wayland inspired mod , cheers Garry )

007-3.jpg

lashing point at the rear ,

008-3.jpg

Tie down straps are fitted inside the pulk to secure the load , all arms bergan gives a bit of scale ,

006-3.jpg

On the underside there are nylon runners these are pop riveted on and could be easly be replaced if needed

009-3.jpg

Come on folks you must have some military winter gear to post ,,, peak one stove , jagerkok ?? skis , goggles

Twodogs

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I forgot i had these..1953 dated 'Trousers inner' .They are very thick wool, smooth on the outside and fluffy on the inside.They come with a lovely itchy wool gusset too!Remember hairy mary shirts?Same stuff.:eek:
This type of thing would have been i use in the later stages of the Korean war when we started to supply our troops with half decent cold weather gear, before that the Americans issued us with their stuff.
I do have some more related gear like the complete M51 clothing system..arctic canteen and cup..ww2 overwhites..early 'parka middle'..ect.

P1070211.jpg

P1070212.jpg

Im still kicking myself that i didnt buy a load of British ww2 snow gear from a junk shop..there was crampons, ice picks, snow shoes, hats, gloves...Of course it was all gone when i went back for it!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
...actually, the woolen wristlets are very comfortable. Maybe I'm just not allergic to scratchy wool!

(Ah - you're talking about the itchy gusset on the trousers.................)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I forgot i had these..1953 dated 'Trousers inner' .They are very thick wool, smooth on the outside and fluffy on the inside.They come with a lovely itchy wool gusset too!Remember hairy mary shirts?Same stuff.:eek:
This type of thing would have been i use in the later stages of the Korean war when we started to supply our troops with half decent cold weather gear, before that the Americans issued us with their stuff...

You were lucky then if you got US gear that was actually good. The US was woefully unprepared for the Korean War. None of our gear or weapons had been updated since the end of WWII. We sent an Army trained and equipped for occupation rather than combat. WWII bazookas had little effect on modern (at the time) Soviet tanks and all our troops suffered greatly from the Korean climate (think of "The Frozen Chosin")

Fortunately the North Koreans and Chicoms were generally as poorly equipped (although better armed) although we didn't learn for decades that they were near starvation (at least the Chicoms)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Santaman,when you say the north koreans and Chicoms were better armed are you talking small arms? i thought they used mostly soviet ww2 weapons, like the Mosin Nagant,and the ppsh 41,degtyarev dp,etc etc and the Sabre was better aircraft than the mig,from what ive read, i used to work with a guy who was in the Black watch in Korea,and one of his many stories was about how he and his mates would ''liberate'' U.S. food store's as they were well under rationed at some point's, but the fun was cut short when a order was put out that those responsible or caught would be shot!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman,when you say the north koreans and Chicoms were better armed are you talking small arms? i thought they used mostly soviet ww2 weapons, like the Mosin Nagant,and the ppsh 41,degtyarev dp,etc etc and the Sabre was better aircraft than the mig,from what ive read, i used to work with a guy who was in the Black watch in Korea,and one of his many stories was about how he and his mates would ''liberate'' U.S. food store's as they were well under rationed at some point's, but the fun was cut short when a order was put out that those responsible or caught would be shot!

I'm referring mostly to armor when I mention arms. As to small arms, the NK & Chicoms already had Soviet and Chicom SKS (a late WWII Soviet assault rifle) as well; although I'm not sure how prevelent they were. That was was what prompted the US to develop the M14 and later the M16. As far as I know food wasn't a problem on our side but as I said, we learned decades later that due to a famine in VChina the communist side was near starvation.

As you say we were well ahead of them in aviation although woefully short of bombs (after the Nuke was dropped conventional bomb production ceased as they were believed obsolete) and the guns we were putting on the aircraft (50 cal) weren't really adequate for dogfighting in jets whereas IIRC the Comunists had already made the switch to larger caliber cannons on their aircraft.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Yep get you on the cannon in the mig, saw a good prog regarding these air battles over korea(all cgi) but well made with vet account's think its called ''Dogfights'',the food account was from a Brit perspective, this country alway's seems to start things on a shoestring budget. ps Sorry for the off topic wander.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Today we have a true classic bit of Military cold weather equipment :cool:.

Swedish Army issue Optimus 111 stove runs on Kero preheat with meths or preheating paste ,

Used as a section stove for all the cooking and melting needs :).

001-6.jpg

Loads of user instructions,

005-4.jpg

And an Swedish Army ownership badge ,

006-5.jpg

This is a good touch to stop knackered troops losing bits , a chain on the control wheel and a self tapping screw though the flame ring .

004-4.jpg

Shown with the Swedish Army issue kettle out of the ten man cook kit ,

002-6.jpg

Well worth hunting down the 111 is a true classic ,

001-6.jpg

Twodogs

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE