Surplus Military cold weather & equipment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Hello all :cool:
What I would like to do with this thread is make up a sort of information base of Military clothing a eqipment issued around the would for use in the cold , Alaskan , Norway , Sweden , USSR and so on .
I will get the ball rolling feel free to comment and add as you wish :),,,

Big bits of kit small bits of kit ,, cooking kit , tentage but only for the cold areas please ..

Right here we go ,

British Army socks arctic some have red bands some dont i think its a size thing someone will know , loop stitch ,

001.jpg

Swedish Army wristlets helps keep the joints warm ,

003.jpg

British Army issue snow shoes bear paw pattern so im told ,, made in Sweden .

004.jpg

British Army 1970s /1980s issue flask cover just to cover the old thermos glass flask to protect it as well as insulate me thinks , the flask in it now is a modern stainless jobby .

005.jpg

006.jpg

Germany Army cold weather hat also made in flectarn,

007.jpg

008.jpg

British Army Soldier 95 gloves , goretex liner ,

013.jpg

British Army headover , wool and itchy ,,,, can be made into a hat commando style

014.jpg

015.jpg

Dutch Army mittens DPM Dutch pattern no spots :)

016.jpg

Canadian mukluk liners , Only the liners havent managed to track down a full set yet but still handy as tent boots ,

017.jpg

019.jpg

Folding snow shovel dont know what nationality :confused: hopefully someone will ,

020.jpg

021.jpg

British Army Arctic hat , very well made , cotton gabadine outer and fleece lined,

022.jpg

023.jpg

Bivi/tent boots very under rated and a must for a good nights sleep :):sleeping:

024.jpg

British Army arctic hat later issue MVP fabric fleece lined also seen in desert patern DPM

026.jpg

027.jpg

029.jpg

Swedish Army cold weather hat 1970/80s very well made ,

031.jpg

032.jpg

US Military Cold weather mitterns later pattern in woodland cam earlier mits had wool liners USMC issue is green :)

033.jpg

034.jpg

US Military hood extreme cold weather , odd bit of kit so I had to have it a stand alone hood to add to any jacket straps round the arms to keep it in shape ,

037.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

Norwegian Army water bottle , insulated carrier , wide filler to help filling with snow , mug also to help filling with melted snow .

038.jpg

039.jpg

Swedish Army issue boots 1969 :eek:,, rubber covered base , very old school but very well made ,

040.jpg

US Military boots extreme cold weather ,, bunny boots good for - 50 .

041.jpg

043.jpg

Heres some more info ,

http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_clothing_mm_boots.php

Canadian Army fleece balaclava ,

044.jpg

German Army mountain over trousers , cotton type outer with a fleece lining , very well made ,

045.jpg

Swedish Army snow smock , we all know these , easy to dye ,

046.jpg

British Army issue liner cold weather issued after the Falklands war with matching trousers hopefully someone can post the trs :), lovingly known as the Chinese fighting suit :),
052.jpg

053.jpg

US Military M65 Parka still avalible unissued , has a detchable hood with some really nasty fake fur that I have remove to be replaced :), removable quilted liner that can be doubled up with a second liner if you can get your mitts on one ,

050.jpg

051.jpg

058.jpg

US Miltary overwhites made to go over the parkas as snow cam but also acts as another windproof layer , the pockets give access parka below,

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

US Military overwhite trousers I brought the trousers then found that thay have a quilted liner to go with them and are held up by M55 suspenders ( but I will call them braces :lmao:)

054.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

012.jpg

US Military Helmet liner extreme cold worn with the m65 parka.

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Right thats enough for now :)

Things I would like to see arctic issue tentage , sleeping systems , stoves and cook kits ,, remember cold weather issue not temperate :)

US issue arctic canteen , peak one stove and cook kit ,, you know what were after ,

Hopefully Rik can repost the US military vid of camping in the arctic ,,

Come on folks what you got ,,

Twodogs

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
fantastic thread cliff, some really interesting looking kit. i especially like the look of the US cold weather mitts, they look like a superb piece of kit

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Guess where the next trip is :rolleyes:

As well as some of the kit listed above I have:

British Army Reversible Thermal Jacket:

britisharmyreversibleth.jpg

And Trousers:

britisharmyreversibleth.jpg

Snow overboots:

armyissuemuklukoverboot.jpg

Cold weather boot:

coldweatherboot.jpg

Boot liners:

bootlinersx21050.jpg

Mittens inners:

arcticmittensinners1000.jpg

Outers:

arcticmittensouters1000.jpg

Balaclava headover:

balaclavaheadover400.jpg

Snow overjacket:

snowoverjacket1600.jpg

and trousers:

snowovertrousers1400.jpg

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Great topic. Heres my cold weather canadian arctic boots i think theres a few models by different companys for different prices but these seem to work quite well. Very loose fit but comfy but for me as my feet tend to sweat first then become cold its more about quality wool socks and being able to breath well.
5f974244-d39a-19bc.jpg
5f974244-d3a7-67f1.jpg

One thing id highly recomend although not mod is a fjallraven heater hat not cheap but very good and a woolpower balaclava especialy for wearing to bed. Oh and sheepskin gloves are great under waterproof mittens.

sent from my secret retreat

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Martin, are those the new British Cold-weather boots? If they are, can you tell me what size you normally take, and what size you had to order to get them to fit? I tried some, but found them both small and narrow for normal shoe size.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Martin, are those the new British Cold-weather boots? If they are, can you tell me what size you normally take, and what size you had to order to get them to fit? I tried some, but found them both small and narrow for normal shoe size.

Having had my feet deformed by Her Majesty's Boots for 22 years, my feet have learnt to adapt to what I was given.

I have gone for a size bigger for this trip.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got two or three pair of the wool inners left, had a load a few years ago from the States and gave them away at meets, pretty good they are too.

Let me know Cliff if you want a pair and I'll dig a pair out for you.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Nice one Andy though you might of gone for the US military magnisium snow shoes ,

If you can track me down a set of the overwhites for the mitts if you see them and an arctic canteen, mug and carrier ,,,and ,,and ,,:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Nice one Andy though you might of gone for the US military magnisium snow shoes ,

If you can track me down a set of the overwhites for the mitts if you see them and an arctic canteen, mug and carrier ,,,and ,,and ,,:)

I must admit I did look at those, but thought the smaller ones would be easier to carry on the plane!

As far as the US stuff goes, I'm already looking at about 25kg of stuff already I've got to bring back when I go over there next - I got a bit carried away on various US websites.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE