Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Thought I'd mid-afternoon share something:
WP_20140128_003.jpg

made from a cigar box, spare machine heads, re-claimed mahogany bit of wardrobe, 7.62mm casing, 12 gauge shotgun volume control (it has a piezo pickup inside), a pencil bridge, and .22 casings saddle.

my 21st:
P1020454.jpg
P1020456.jpg
P1020460.jpg
WP_20130816_002.jpg
WP_20130817_012-1.jpg

Pictured was the night my grandmother, and uncle visited me and my girlfriends camp. This was in Chappel on a permission.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Stu I found this which explains the sizing of aluminium arrows, Easton uses a 4 digit number to identify their aluminum shafts. This number is actually 2 2-digit numbers; the first number indicates the outside diameter of the arrow shaft in sixty-fourths of an inch and the second number indicates the wall thickness of the shaft in thousandths of an inch. A "2215" shaft would be 22/64" in diameter and have a wall thickness of 0.015".

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
A head shot on a bird would do the trick at most distances up to about 35 yds, the same goes for an air rifle, as a body shot will not be successful

I would agree, an head shot would do it, but with a Catty thats one hell of a shot........ :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu I found this which explains the sizing of aluminium arrows, Easton uses a 4 digit number to identify their aluminum shafts. This number is actually 2 2-digit numbers; the first number indicates the outside diameter of the arrow shaft in sixty-fourths of an inch and the second number indicates the wall thickness of the shaft in thousandths of an inch. A "2215" shaft would be 22/64" in diameter and have a wall thickness of 0.015".

Thank you for that bud, I already knew the Four digit coding that Easton used, I had found out that CAE arrows were made by them as well, so got that bit of the jig saw :)

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
About the coppicing of the Ash. One of my mates works for the forestry commision and had this to say:

Hi John

Current feeling seems to be that coppice re-growth is indeed more likely
to become infected than mature trees. However, there is no empirical
data to support this feeling.

So sounds like we were about right.

I think I would tend to select out the better trees and thin to these.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I spent a couple of hours to work that out yesterday :), the powers that be dont have a clue as to what can be safely done, it seems that best practice is to leave Ash alone.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Chris, I had a look at the axe head just now, it's cleaning up nicely. It's an Elwell, but that's the only mark I can see on it at the mo. Bad news is there is a crack about a third of the way up the poll, to about halfway along the bottom of the eye. I reckon it might be able to be welded, but not 100% sure.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
I always thought of the catty as a close up tool, 10 meters max. I would never have thought to use one above that? But hey I am an archer not a catty user.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Back when I used to fish alot and was not catching alot I would regularly shoot boilies at targets normally flowers or lily leaves on the water up to 35m I would not personally shoot an animal at that range but it is doable with a lot of practice.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, I was the same with my air rifles, its was all about practice and lots of it, we had a great club with great people, Not unlike the group we have, bacon buttys tea on tap, cream cake's and lots of mickey taking. Shoot from 9am till 8pm I'd shoot about 3000 to 4000 pel lets a week back then, 1500 on a Saturday, vermin control twice a week and then the rest at home. I know it sounds a lot but that was when you could get a tin of 1.77 for £4.50 and .22 for £6 but I was buying then 30,000 to 60,000 at a time. Practice, practice, practice, muscle memory. Like driving a car, riding a bike, you don't think about it, you just do it. just got to find your limitations and the only way to do that is practice.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
All true words.. what seems to be coming out if it is the amount of prctice things take to do it skillfully, and of course the mentalaty of getting as close as you can so to ensure a Clean kill with least amount of suffering to the prey, and a Catty is as a Bow and Arrow is a short distance tool, upto to 25 yards for the Job, as such... (Bow and Arrow- Only in Countires that allow Bow Hunting),

Think thats why I would rather use a gun to hunt reather then a Catty unless in dire need...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
NEW MENU FOR THE FEB MEET SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE COMPASSES...

Sorry about this Guy's But I have just had a menu sent to me from Mariad at the Compasses.. it sounds like they have a new chef....... and his Re-done the menu...!!!!!!

I will replace the Old One with the new.. Post #2 on the Feb meet Thread

Appoliges for this, I will extend the conformation date to Monday Midnight

woody firesticks

Aug 14, 2012
harrow,middlesex
hi everyone I am Chris (aka woody firesticks ) I am a friend of Colin's, I am looking forward to coming along to your next meet, I have been to the last too bushmoots which I really enjoyed, before that believe it or not I had never been camping, so I am learning all the time thanks to Colin and chaps like yourself. so thanks for having me and see you all Friday night. Chris.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Chris nice to hear from you, Colin did mention you would be along it will be good to meet you, I can get the Friday off work so will have to pitch late... will prob be there about 6 ish.....

Not been to a Bushmoot myself but hoping that things will come together this year :)

see you friday week :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE