Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Fantastic web site Stuart, will add this to the list of those to read thanks for flagging it up.

That's what I thought, I been doing a lot of research on the Wild Men of the day, lol.... its eye opening how hard it was for them, as I like to get the most out of everything I take part in.

I thought it may encourage more of us to take part, and not just treat it as a night out in the woods... its easy to camp how most of us do on a weekly basis.. talking to some that have done it and got well into the Boone Challenge, I've heard that it can be quite mentally challenging as well, if you are prepared to keep to the kit list....

One thing that will make it easier is the water will be easy to get... due to a short walk to the tap....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have just posted up the Boone Challenge Info...

I thought it would be nice to keep this separate, due to the amount of info that could arise from the event,

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110217

Please read and use the separate thread for all discussion on the Challenge... the challenge is set, please do not try to change it by suggestions.... or add things.. if you wish not to take up the challenge as it is set then please do not enter.........

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
My birthday on Friday, and since I'm getting some new toys to try out, I'm definitely going out on the Saturday night!

Well Happy Birthday for Friday, I am thinking a last minute Boone type night wild camp, I take it your injurys have now healed?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Well Happy Birthday for Friday, I am thinking a last minute Boone type night wild camp, I take it your injurys have now healed?

They most certainly haven't... so my intentions for Saturday are a lot less "challenge-oriented" really.
I was at the Osteopathist's today (she clicked part of my spine, which hurt like hell for a while, and has determined that I'm basically twisted... it's all very complicated and sure to milk plenty of money from my bank account to correct, I'm sure)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
They most certainly haven't... so my intentions for Saturday are a lot less "challenge-oriented" really.
I was at the Osteopathist's today (she clicked part of my spine, which hurt like hell for a while, and has determined that I'm basically twisted... it's all very complicated and sure to milk plenty of money from my bank account to correct, I'm sure)

Myself I am not sure I would want to be doing much buscraft with those injurys, unless it was totaly nessarery, but hey ho each to their own,

I am in Mountain Man mode at the mo.. so will be trying differnt things, may even do a short walk in to a small wood outside Ipswich.. how to carry gear, and best load out for me

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds

I could have told you you were twisted mate :lmao:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I know some of you guys were after the 600 ml Swedish folding Cups (not the small one - 200ml)... I have sorced some..... I will hopefully have 5 in my mits in the next couple of days...not sure on price yet, but I should have them this weekend/early next week....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
2 Night Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Group Meeting August 2nd and 3rd 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quiet and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents, just outside of the village of Stansfield,

Regulars that have been to the Site before - 12:00 onwards - report at Office before going to the woods.
New commers to Site - Meet at Compasses Pub, Stansfield, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 8LN. 14:00 hrs, normally finishing about midday on the Sunday. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find, For those that can not make it to that meet and would like to come please PM me and I will arrange another time.

Cost
The Camp Site charge is £10 per person for the Weekend, fees for the site to be paid to me (Big Stu) as you arrive, this will have to be in cash.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the meet with.

Behaviour
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we aim to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
This is a very wild site...The nearest Toilets, Shower are back at a Farm Yard about 1km away, the nearest Tap is about a 600m from the Woodland.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland, apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits (loo roll ect), there is a Group Latrine that is to be used in all cases, it is a requirement of the Landowner.

There is a lean to one man natural shelter that can be used, if you would like to use it for a night, that would be on a first come, first serve basis, it may need re-roofing prior to use. There is also a Shave horse for use as well that was made as a group project.

Housekeeping
There is no Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, this will depend on activities, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, other than communal one, then it is your responsibility to clean it up, The Main communal Fire is Everyone’s responsibility to clean up after.

Vehicles and Access and Parking to site
Due to the amount of cars and access being required by the landowner, cars can go to the woodland to drop off and pick up kit, then back to parking area for the duration of the stay, the Car Parking for the woodland will be about 800m away from the woodland in a Working Farm Yard, please do not block Gates and Barn doorways.

If the ground is too wet then, most of the gear will have to walked in, I can arrange for help for people that cannot walk that far due to a health reason, I need to know this in advance.

Group Meal,
Yet for someone to offer to Take on this task.

(The Group meals are supplied but the person making them, then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required).

In case of Unforseen events that may cause there to be no group meal, please allow in your catering for that emmergency meal.

Air Guns
From this meeting as a Bonus for the Regular Attendees to Monthly Meets will be able to use Air Guns (Non FAC - under 12flb only) for Target use only in a designated area, they will be subject to Chronograph before use by the Range Control Officer, (this will be Carl), and any decision on the use of Air Guns and Range that he makes will be final, and has the right to refuse the use of the gun or any person using a gun.

IF YOU ARE NOT A REGULAR ATTENDEE TO THE MONTHLY MEET PLEASE DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN SHOOT... IT IS ONLY FOR THE REGULARS.

Please inform myself or Carl (mitch66) if you intend on bringing an Air Gun prior to arrival.

Any person not adhering to these conditions will be asked to stop the activity.

Other Info
We are still on probation at this site, so please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect.

I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of Tarps, for a group shelter,

Wood can be gathered from around the site, Dead Wood only to be used.

Of course Micky being taken is compulsory....

I know people Like taking Photo's and sharing experiances, and some dont like the Photo's on the Internet, so Please bear this in mind when posting after the event,

Slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale, so a meet can be a great place to get some kit.. reason to bring a little bit of cash with you.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own suitable First Aid kit, not just some plasters.

The nearest A & E is 20 minutes drive at;

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, and how many nights you’re staying,

From Now on there will be a limit of 15 persons, and only two New/Non Regular attenders in that 15.

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Tagnut69
3. mitch66 (carl)

Other Dates
August 24th to 28th – 4 Nighter Bank Holiday Meet - for more details see notice on thread - Details soon..
September 6th and 7th 2013.- Monthly Meet
September 20th and 21st 2013 - TBC- Daniel Boone Challenge -Details to follow
Friday 4th and Saturday 5th October-TBC - Monthly Meet
Friday 1st and Saturday 2nd November-TBC - Monthly Meet
Friday 6th and Saturday 7th December-TBC - Monthly Meet - Christmas Meal !!!!!!

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quiet and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents, just outside of the village of Stansfield,

Regulars that have been to the Site before - 12:00 onwards - report at Office before going to the woods.
New commers to Site - Meet at Compasses Pub, Stansfield, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 8LN. 14:00 hrs, normally finishing about midday on the Sunday. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find, For those that can not make it to that meet and would like to come please PM me and I will arrange another time.

Cost
The Camp Site charge is £10 per person for the Weekend, fees for the site to be paid to me (Big Stu) as you arrive, this will have to be in cash.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the meet with.

Behaviour
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we aim to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
This is a very wild site...The nearest Toilets, Shower are back at a Farm Yard about 1km away, the nearest Tap is about a 600m from the Woodland.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland, apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits (loo roll ect), there is a Group Latrine that is to be used in all cases, it is a requirement of the Landowner.

There is a lean to one man natural shelter that can be used, if you would like to use it for a night, that would be on a first come, first serve basis, it may need re-roofing prior to use. There is also a Shave horse for use as well that was made as a group project.

Housekeeping
There is no Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, this will depend on activities, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, other than communal one, then it is your responsibility to clean it up, The Main communal Fire is Everyone’s responsibility to clean up after.

Due to the amount of cars and access being required by the landowner, cars can go to the woodland to drop off and pick up kit, then back to parking area for the duration of the stay, the Car Parking for the woodland will be about 800m away from the woodland in a Working Farm Yard, please do not block Gates and Barn doorways.

If the ground is too wet then, most of the gear will have to walked in, I can arrange for help for people that cannot walk that far due to a health reason, I need to know this in advance.

Group Meal,

(The Group meals are supplied but the person making them, then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required).

In case of Unforseen events that may cause there to be no group meal, please allow in your catering for that emmergency meal.

Air Guns
From this meeting as a Bonus for the Regular Attendees to Monthly Meets will be able to use Air Guns (Non FAC - under 12flb only) for Target use only in a designated area, they will be subject to Chronograph before use by the Range Control Officer, (this will be Carl), and any decision on the use of Air Guns and Range that he makes will be final, and has the right to refuse the use of the gun or any person using a gun.

IF YOU ARE NOT A REGULAR ATTENDEE TO THE MONTHLY MEET PLEASE DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN SHOOT... IT IS ONLY FOR THE REGULARS.

Please inform myself or Carl (mitch66) if you intend on bringing an Air Gun prior to arrival.

Other Info
We are still on probation at this site, so please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect.

I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of Tarps, for a group shelter,

I know people Like taking Photo's and sharing experiances, and some dont like the Photo's on the Internet, so Please bear this in mind when posting after the event,

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale, so a meet can be a great place to get some kit.. reason to bring a little bit of cash with you.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own suitable First Aid kit, not just some plasters.

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, and how many nights you’re staying,

From Now on there will be a limit of 15 persons, and only two New/Non Regular attenders in that 15.

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Tagnut69
3. mitch66 (carl)
4. Jjessup (with updated first aid kit)

Other Dates
August 24th to 28th – 4 Nighter Bank Holiday Meet - for more details see notice on thread - Details soon..
One Life Live it......

They don't know how lucky I am to be into Bushcraft.......

M6SVJ

FioFO

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

Cost

Under 18s

Behaviour

Facilities

Housekeeping

Group Meal,

Air Guns

Other Info

First Aid

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Tagnut69
3. mitch66 (carl)
4. SJStuart - 2 Nights

Other Dates

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
By order of my osteopath (not "suggestion"... but an actual order) I'll be light-weighting for a while.

Got all new packs for an all new carry system (which my osteo has actually approved, because it places zero weight on my back and shoulders).

Going to be fun going back to basics for a while :)

Will be testing the new kit on Saturday (I'm going entirely on foot this time, so no chance of coming off the bike on some farmer's field or whatever).

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Cost

Under 18s

Behaviour

Facilities

Housekeeping

Group Meal,

Air Guns

Other Info

First Aid

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Tagnut69
3. mitch66 (carl)
4. Jjessup
5. Sjstuart
6. RemeaviThanatos

Other Dates

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE