Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
August 24th to 28th – 4 Nighter Bank Holiday Meet

I have now had conformation of the dates for a 4 nighter, being the Sat 24th to the 28th August, being 4 nights the first two will cost the normal £10 then an extra £5 per night per person.

This will be a good chance to may be do a longer project and get out in the woods for a few nights.
normal details as per the monthly meet.

I Will Put the full Info out after the August Meet to avoid confusion....,

but we can start looking at things we would like to do :).

List of Attendees
1. Big Stu
2. Big Stus Lad
3. Mitch66
4. Mike Smith

Just a reminder about the meet end of Aug... as normal you dont have to do all nights, idea time to get out and not just on a weekend night :)

Hoping to make all 4 nights of this meet as I can't make the normal Aug meet due to work commitments, but I will be thinking of you all during the evenings whilst supping my Guinness and listening to diddly-diddly music in Dublin.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Mike,

Your on the list :)

stick me down along with Norfolk john as well but only for the first two nights though.

No Problem Dave, you on the list :)

Can't make the 4 nighter Stu unfortunately. Off camping in North Norfolk with the better half.

No problem, Kirkland, have a good time... see you at teh next one:)

Sorry to say I'm not going to be able to make this one. I have an operation on the 23rd, and doubt I'll even be out of hospital during those 4 days!

OK no problem, hope it goes well.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I've just completed a snakeskin for my DD 4x4 tarp. Since my machine won't sew something as delicate as ripstock without puckering it, I rolled the stitches on one by one (let the machine deal with stitch length, but I slowly turned it for each stitch). As you can imagine, for a 410cm long snakeskin, and double-stitching every seam, this took quite a long time.

The Ripstop is supposed to be Khaki, but really it's more of a Bronze colour (still, it looks very nice).

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've just completed a snakeskin for my DD 4x4 tarp. Since my machine won't sew something as delicate as ripstock without puckering it, I rolled the stitches on one by one (let the machine deal with stitch length, but I slowly turned it for each stitch). As you can imagine, for a 410cm long snakeskin, and double-stitching every seam, this took quite a long time.

The Ripstop is supposed to be Khaki, but really it's more of a Bronze colour (still, it looks very nice).

From my experaince of sewing many many meters of Ripstop over the years, and some very intricat parts of Applique work on Kites for displays some times runing into 5 or 6 layers thick even.. if the needle gets blunt then it will start to pick up ( you will notice this as the sound changes to a tick, tick tick type sound), alot of the problems people have with Rip Stop Nylon is down to not having a walking foot on the machine.. as the surfaces of the material are slipery and the bottom sheet wants to move with the moving combe but the top sheet is held back by the foot.. so you have to feed both together, rather then let the machine do it, only real way is to get a walking foot or loads of practice..

I used to buy needles by the 100's and sometimes changing them after 1/2 hr sometimes as nylon just blunts them, check you tension, and stitch width and lentgh depending on what one you use.., also speed your trying to go at causes problems,

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
From my experaince of sewing many many meters of Ripstop over the years, and some very intricat parts of Applique work on Kites for displays some times runing into 5 or 6 layers thick even.. if the needle gets blunt then it will start to pick up ( you will notice this as the sound changes to a tick, tick tick type sound), alot of the problems people have with Rip Stop Nylon is down to not having a walking foot on the machine.. as the surfaces of the material are slipery and the bottom sheet wants to move with the moving combe but the top sheet is held back by the foot.. so you have to feed both together, rather then let the machine do it, only real way is to get a walking foot or loads of practice..

I used to buy needles by the 100's and sometimes changing them after 1/2 hr sometimes as nylon just blunts them, check you tension, and stitch width and lentgh depending on what one you use.., also speed your trying to go at causes problems,

Appreciate the input... and you've given me some points to think on.
I will say this, however, the needles I'm using are brand new, and (as my thumb will testify) are very bloody sharp!

My machine is supposed to have a sensitivity control on the foot pedal, but I'm unable to locate it... so it doesn't "walk", it runs like a godamn racehorse! Incidentally, it's not the foot that's stopping the top layer from moving, but the dogs that're snagging on the bottom layer... made all the worse if any tension is applied to the line.
My way around it was to set the tension to 3 and rotate the machine by hand all the way. Slow going, for sure, but the stitches turned out really nice and very straight (since I was eyeballing each stitch as I went).

Nice learning experience for future projects with such a thin and light-weight material though :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well only a fewd days left then it the Meet , been hanging out on this agian.. just dont seem to have managed to get out, got some new ideas to try, a couple of riecpies I may well try, and a couple of bits of kit as well, so looking forward to it:).

Not taking much this time .. famous last words.. got to work on the boone kit to get it right :)

Roll on Friday :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Looks like the weather is going to play ball for the weekend. Is the plan still to make the oven?
If I can find my tarp I will be using new hammock, bit annoyed that I have had it 2 months now and not slept in it yet, I know I have a basha here somewhere but just cant find it, might have to get a 4x4 from DD on order:)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Looks like the weather is going to play ball for the weekend. Is the plan still to make the oven?
If I can find my tarp I will be using new hammock, bit annoyed that I have had it 2 months now and not slept in it yet, I know I have a basha here somewhere but just cant find it, might have to get a 4x4 from DD on order:)

Yeah I hope it does... yep think the oven will be a good asset to the site :) so of course.. get tready to get muddy :), I'll stick in my tarp for you thats no problem I'll be using my ponco one :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

How're you fixed for a ground sheet? I know Stu's offered to pack a spare tarp for you (I can also pack a DD 3x3 if you want to double-down on that) but wihtout a ground sheet it's going to be very bloody muddy!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Only 24 hrs or so to Go :)... weathers looking like a good one,

I am Aiming to be at the Compasses for 12 o'Clock... got loads to do.. I know Carl is aiming for that time as well, if you intend to come and have never been before let me know as after 14:00 I turn the phone off apart from a moring and evening text/message check.

See you guys there :)

The list so far

1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Tagnut69
3. mitch66 (carl)
4. Jjessup
5. Sjstuart
6. RemeaviThanatos
7. Toadstooll Carver hopefully 2 nights
8. Rumcelt.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Just a head's up that my mission to get an appropriate piece of piping has been as-yet unsuccessful. The hardware and plumbing suppliers I've been to only have either 1" dia copper pipe, or higher-dia PVC.... none of which are appropriate.

Would stainless steel DUCTING be appropriate? I can pick some of that up from B&Q tomorrow en-route, but you need to keep in mind it's the flexible/corrugated metal pipe, and is about 5" dia (larger than I'd personally choose to use)... no idea how it'd handle the kind of heat from a pizza oven!

The alternative would be to bring an aluminium can, and form a clay outlet around it... but to do that we'd need to mill out a suitable hole in the oil drum form (and I could bring a battery-powered Dremel and kit to do that).

We have options... but I've just done a 40 mile circular trip from one supplier to another, and failed miserably at finding what I sought! I'll also ask my landlord if he just happens to have any old scrap metal piping laying around he could spare (he runs a huge farm and estate, so has these kinds of odd items laying around more often than not).

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Just to let you know I'm teaching climbing in the morning, and imagine that I won't be on the road until 1 ish. So with reasonable trafiic should see you all just after 2. Looking forward to it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE