Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu, are we still doing the Daniel Boone on this up coming meet so I know which rucksack to pack?

Na I was thinking about that for another time, and not the monthly meet, as the montly is agood time for every one to mingle, do, and make,

I was going to speak to Phil after this one, about a few things, like the Boone Challange, a Possible five nighter, and also other things like Archery, and Air guns for Target use only, He needs to know he can trust us before letting us roam :).

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Looks like good fun and eats are to be had. Unfortunately now got a family 30th on Saturday so shan't get :( Going to the March woods tomorrow for the day if anyone's about they are welcome to meet at mine for 10am ;)

Thats a Shame Kev , have a good time mate see you soon

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hi guys... got a lot of catching up to do (moved house, only just got back online)

Looking forward to the meet, and I'm up for teh group meal too by the way :)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
With next weekend approaching, re-posting the information, hope your all looking forward to it, be good to see some new attendee's as well as catching up with the regular's

2 Night Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Group Meeting 7th and 8th June 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quite and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents, just outside of the village of Stansfield- Meet at H. E. Dennis & Son, Bayments Farm, Stansfield, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 8LN. 14:00 hrs, normally finishing about midday on the Sunday. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find.

Cost
The Camp Site charge is £10 per person for the Weekend, fees for the site to be paid to me (Big Stu) as you arrive, this will have to be in cash.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the meet with.

Behaviour
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we ai to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
This is a very wild site...The nearest Toilets, Shower are back at the Bayments Farm Yard, the nearest Tap is about a 600m from the Woodland.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland, apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, There is a Group Latrine that is to be used in all case's, it is a requirement of the Landowner.

Housekeeping
There is no Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, this will depend on activities, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, other than communal one, then it is your responsibility to clean it up, The Main communal Fire is Everyone’s responsibility to clean up after.

Group Meal,

Paul Has Taken the Battern of the Group meal for Friday night, Hog Roast as above Post, THank you for that Paul, will all attendee's please Update Pauls Post with their Name if the want the HOG ROAST...

(The Group meals are supplied but the person making them, then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required)

Other Info
We probation at this site, so please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect.

The Car Parking for the woodland will be about 800m away from the woodland, we are allowed to drop off and pick up at the woodland, if the ground is too wet then, most of the gear will have to walked in, I can arrange for help for people that can not walk that far due to a health reason, I need to know this in advance.

I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of Tarps, for a group shelter,

Wood can be gathered from around the site, Dead Wood only to be used.

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale, so a meet can be a great place to get some kit.. reason to bring a little bit of cash with you.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own kit,

The nearest A & E is 20 minutes drive at;

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals and how many nights you’re staying,

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Remeavi Thanatos - 2 nights
3. SJStuart - 2 nights
4. Zeon98 2 nights
5. mitch66 - 2 nights
6. ROMAN-SOLDIER 2 nights
7. Broomstickize - 1 night (poss. 2)
8. CrosslandKelly 2 Nights
9. Tagnut69 2 Nights
10.jordan 15 son of rs 2 nights

Following a couple of Phone converstions, PM's and thinking how long it was that I had done some Navigation by Map and Compass - Think last time I did some major navigation was back in 1991 on a two week experdition to Alps......, would it be a good idea, if we had a Brush up session on Map and Compass work

It also looks like a Natural Shelter Build would be a good idea as well in the Base Camp area somewere in the corner..lets make the most of what we have there

The next core dates for the monthly meets-depending on how things go I will try to get some more nights, I will hope to do a Four Nighter at some stage.

July 5th and 6th 2013
August 2nd and 3rd
September 6th and 7th 2013.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Please Copy and Update just this Post for the Group Meal.

1.Roman-Soldier
2.Big Stu
3. Zeon98 (David) yes please
4. RemeaviThanatos yes indeedy sounds sweet.
5. mitch66 please. would you like me to bring / make a spit rost bar?
6. Tagnut69 yes please
7. Simon
8. Jordan son of RS​

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Group meal will have to be Saturday night as I won't get there until 5pm and the roast takes 3 hours hope that's ok

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu is it the same wood as last time as I will arrive 5pm and will have to walk in

Yeah same wood mate, thats no problem with the time mate, or the Meal being on the Saturday, good that Jordan's coming as well, the norm with the cars, drop off kit is ok, them most to go back to parking area,

Just an update to this,

Okay... I believe the body found was a missing Polish national.

I know this because the police were in the Little River Ouse looking for the man and his dog when Fruit Loop and I were out there camping! We even helped out with the search! Thing is, there was no body in the water when we were paddling down there in the canoe (and we went all the way to the A11) and someone walked by our camp at around 4AM (not saying it's related, but sure was suspicious given that there was a path in the forest in front of our camp, and the person chose to walk through the brush behind our camp... about a half a mile to a mile down-stream of where the body was found.

I'm wondering if it's worth contacting the police about the guy walking behind our camp... what do you guys think?

Fruit Loop and I were wide awake when we heard the footsteps (and they were absolutely human footsteps, not deer or any 4-legged creature). I said "Is that you, Andy?" and the footsteps immediately stopped. Fruit Loop replied that it wasn't him, and we went quiet. After about 30 seconds, the footsteps continued. I unzipped my hammock's mozzie net and the footsteps stopped again. I sat there with my head poked out and the footsteps resumed after about 30-40 seconds... and continued on away from us headed downstream.

They didn't enter our camp itself (they were behind my tarp, between where we were camped and the dyke (which was about 5 meters in from the river itself). There was a pretty clear track of bent grass when we checked it out at dawn (definitely not a deer track).

I don't think it's normal for people to be walking through the brush (rather than on the defined forest paths) at 4-o'clock in the morning, do you?

From the local newspaper,

Body is that of missing man. Published on 03/06/2013 15:13

Norfolk’s Coroner has confirmed that a body found in the Little Ouse last Friday is that of a man who went missing two weeks ago.
Tomasz Czech, 54, of Chester Way, Thetford, was last seen at his home on May 24 after leaving at about 6pm to take his dog for a walk, according to police.
On Friday, police found a body in the Little Ouse in the area where it crosses the A11.
The office of the Norfolk Coroner confirmed the body to be that of Mr Czech on Monday.
The reason for death was listed as drowning with an inquest being opened.
Mr Czech would normally take his dog for long walks in the woods and pathways next to the Little River Ouse in the direction of Brandon, according to a police spokesman.
Officers had been searching beside the A11 in Thetford in an effort to trace Mr Czech after his dog’s collar was found by the side of the road.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Maybe not anything sinister then.

What time are people appearing on Friday?

I'm intending to show up at 2PM... assuming my bike works and I can get everything on there as well as the jump starter (guys at the garage who MOT'd my bike killed my battery and now it won't hold a charge)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am aiming as I said to be there at 14:00 at Bayments Farm, if it is your first visit please be on time, last time we hung around for about two hrs waiting for people to show, I will be leaving for the woods at 14:15.

If you cant make it and do not know how to get to the Woods, let me know your ETA, and I will have my phone switched on to talk you in, I normally turn my phone off when in the woods.

Looking forward o getting in the woods... :)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am going to the surplus man to get goodies for the tomorrow morning, will be getting some new things in stock, If you would like something from the list below let me know and I'll get it.

A set of 3 ali nesting billys, £15
Coffeee Perculator Blue, £12

Webtex head torch £11
Turbo Lighter £7
Small Green Flask 430ml £7
Bota Water bottle - like my new one £4
Leather Belt Pouch - like my one £3.50
Russia military forces, 80% wool blankets, grey in colour 150cm x 200cm £16:50

I'll also have some more Parracord 15M 3mm (£3.00), 5mm (£4.50) and 9mm (£7.50),

40 ltr Highland pro rucksack modular rucksack, if his still got them I might be able to do them for about £40 may be just under, but i will see.....

The prices are just a Guide, Once I have them I know for sure, hopefully it will be less....depends on what price I get off of him..

The Items in Green I will only get to order, due to cost,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE