Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
With next weekend approaching, re-posting the information, hope your all looking forward to it, be good to see some new attendee's as well as catching up with the regular's

2 Night Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Group Meeting 7th and 8th June 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quite and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents,14:00 hrs, normally finishing about midday on the Sunday. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find.

Cost
The Camp Site charge is £10 per person for the Weekend, fees for the site to be paid to me (Big Stu) as you arrive, this will have to be in cash.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the meet with.

Behaviour
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we ai to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
This is a very wild site...The nearest Toilets, Shower are back at the Bayments Farm Yard, the nearest Tap is about a 600m from the Woodland.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland, apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, There is a Group Latrine that is to be used in all case's, it is a requirement of the Landowner.

Housekeeping
There is no Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, this will depend on activities, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, other than communal one, then it is your responsibility to clean it up, The Main communal Fire is Everyone’s responsibility to clean up after.

Group Meal,
There is normally a Group Meal on Saturday would anyone attending like to offer to do it?
Does anyone want to take on the Group Meal on Saturday Night?

(The Group meals are supplied but the person making them, then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required)

Other Info
We probation at this site, so please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect.

The Car Parking for the woodland will be about 800m away from the woodland, we are allowed to drop off and pick up at the woodland, if the ground is too wet then, most of the gear will have to walked in, I can arrange for help for people that can not walk that far due to a health reason, I need to know this in advance.

I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of Tarps, for a group shelter,

Wood can be gathered from around the site, Dead Wood only to be used.

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale, so a meet can be a great place to get some kit.. reason to bring a little bit of cash with you.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own kit,

The nearest A & E is 20 minutes drive at;

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals and how many nights you’re staying,

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Remeavi Thanatos - 2 nights
3. SJStuart - 2 nights
4. Zeon98 2 nights
5. mitch66 - 2 nights
6. ROMAN-SOLDIER 2 nights
7. Broomstickize - 1 night (poss. 2)

Following a couple of Phone converstions, PM's and thinking how long it was that I had done some Navigation by Map and Compass - Think last time I did some major navigation was back in 1991 on a two week experdition to Alps......, would it be a good idea, if we had a Brush up session on Map and Compass work

It also looks like a Natural Shelter Build would be a good idea as well in the Base Camp area somewere in the corner..lets make the most of what we have there

The next core dates for the monthly meets-depending on how things go I will try to get some more nights, I will hope to do a Four Nighter at some stage.

July 5th and 6th 2013
August 2nd and 3rd
September 6th and 7th 2013.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well, I been saying it for a while now.....

Today Mr Postie knocked and handed me a Jiffy Bag.....my excitement rose, fingers fumbled with the pen to sign for it....

I shut the door, the Jiffy bag stood no hope, not even one, let alone two hopes......

Out popped a Silky 170 Pocket Boy.... on first Impression, I am not sure about the clear plastic sheath that it comes with , but hey I'll just make one.

DSC_0959.jpg

The feel of it in the hand is very nice, with a soft touch rubber handle, you know the type that just feels right, and is definitively non slip, the whole thing feels and looks like it is made to last, the two position blade lock is so positive that it lock in place with a load click, the Locking Thumb Rocker is nice and large and easy to use, even with a gloved hand, I know people have said that having a blade that locks closed is good, I don't know why as when not in use its in the sheath.

The Blade is ubber sharp, and cut's very easy and quick with no trouble, it has 8.5 TPI so not too large like some of the folding saws, it weighs about 200 grams,

There is a nice 8mm'ish hole for a lanyard in the handle that is part of the metal body, the metal body is plated, and free from burrs, made from die cut and formed.

Looking from an engineers point of view I like it.. and if it was to break, then it could easily be mended, no small buttons, thin wires, or doggy clamps to hold the blade locked.

I got this one for £26 delivered, after a long search, now I have it in my hand I would pay out the extra, especially if it performs as well as it did in the garden in my quick try, I am looking forward to using this next weekend.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Just bought a Bahco laplander and small kit hammock.... Going to try and chat one of you up into making me a sheath for the laplander!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just bought a Bahco laplander and small kit hammock.... Going to try and chat one of you up into making me a sheath for the laplander!

That will make a good comparison a new silky against a New Laplander, a Push Pull Saw against a Pull Saw, not only how easy and well they cut, also what is the best for fit in hand and and comfort.

What sort of sheath are you interested in Paul, I know Carl has a leather one, Tony if I remember right has a Nylon/webbing one.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I'm after a nice posh leather one, I want to start a nice belt kit like some of the lads have, so leather sheath for the Mora clipper with strike holder

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'm after a nice posh leather one, I want to start a nice belt kit like some of the lads have, so leather sheath for the Mora clipper with strike holder

Sounds good to me... I like leather, it does look nice, one of the next things for me to make is a silky sheath, and a 2oz pouch, oh and I ve nearly finished my knife so will need to make another sheath for that.

You mean like this
DSC_0970.jpg

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
You could have a look at my sheath, then have two made from the same Maker, one for your Mora, and one for your Laplander with the same leather.. :), matching Pair...

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I'm thinking of doing a kinda hog roast thing, more of a roast loin of pork with apple sauce bagettes and crackling, for friday what you think?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yum yum, nice leather.

mmmm I know the feeling....

I'm thinking of doing a kinda hog roast thing, more of a roast loin of pork with apple sauce bagettes and crackling, for friday what you think?

Sounds realy good to me.... how you doing that mate do you want my 8lt Dutch Oven?, is it a group meal thing ?

Spoke to Colin last night, and he's comming now , so one more to ad to the list, I'll ammend the post for the group meal if you are doing for that?

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Yes group meal, I need numbers please, I was thinking of the pork roasted overview fire on a spit, typical I don't have a skewer long enough but I'm sure I can improvise

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yes group meal, I need numbers please, I was thinking of the pork roasted overview fire on a spit, typical I don't have a skewer long enough but I'm sure I can improvise

With next weekend approaching, re-posting the information, hope your all looking forward to it, be good to see some new attendee's as well as catching up with the regular's

2 Night Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Group Meeting 7th and 8th June 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quite and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents,14:00 hrs, normally finishing about midday on the Sunday. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find.

Cost
The Camp Site charge is £10 per person for the Weekend, fees for the site to be paid to me (Big Stu) as you arrive, this will have to be in cash.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the meet with.

Behaviour
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we ai to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
This is a very wild site...The nearest Toilets, Shower are back at the Bayments Farm Yard, the nearest Tap is about a 600m from the Woodland.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland, apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, There is a Group Latrine that is to be used in all case's, it is a requirement of the Landowner.

Housekeeping
There is no Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, this will depend on activities, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, other than communal one, then it is your responsibility to clean it up, The Main communal Fire is Everyone’s responsibility to clean up after.

Group Meal,

Paul Has Taken the Battern of the Group meal for Friday night, Hog Roast as above Post, THank you for that Paul, will all attendee's please Update Pauls Post with their Name if the want the HOG ROAST...

(The Group meals are supplied but the person making them, then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required)

Other Info
We probation at this site, so please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect.

The Car Parking for the woodland will be about 800m away from the woodland, we are allowed to drop off and pick up at the woodland, if the ground is too wet then, most of the gear will have to walked in, I can arrange for help for people that can not walk that far due to a health reason, I need to know this in advance.

I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of Tarps, for a group shelter,

Wood can be gathered from around the site, Dead Wood only to be used.

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale, so a meet can be a great place to get some kit.. reason to bring a little bit of cash with you.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own kit,

The nearest A & E is 20 minutes drive at;

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meals and how many nights you’re staying,

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Remeavi Thanatos - 2 nights
3. SJStuart - 2 nights
4. Zeon98 2 nights
5. mitch66 - 2 nights
6. ROMAN-SOLDIER 2 nights
7. Broomstickize - 1 night (poss. 2)
8. CrosslandKelly 2 Nights

Following a couple of Phone converstions, PM's and thinking how long it was that I had done some Navigation by Map and Compass - Think last time I did some major navigation was back in 1991 on a two week experdition to Alps......, would it be a good idea, if we had a Brush up session on Map and Compass work

It also looks like a Natural Shelter Build would be a good idea as well in the Base Camp area somewere in the corner..lets make the most of what we have there

The next core dates for the monthly meets-depending on how things go I will try to get some more nights, I will hope to do a Four Nighter at some stage.

July 5th and 6th 2013
August 2nd and 3rd
September 6th and 7th 2013.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Please Copy and Update just this Post for the Group Meal.

1.Roman-Soldier
2.Big Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE