Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I don't mind picking up food to bring. What size grill are we talking about here? If it's sufficiently large, I could bring enough 100% beef burgers to feed a small army... and I'm going to assume none of those attending will be (sigh) vegetarians?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I don't mind picking up food to bring. What size grill are we talking about here? If it's sufficiently large, I could bring enough 100% beef burgers to feed a small army... and I'm going to assume none of those attending will be (sigh) vegetarians?

Thank you for that, I take it you are taking part in the Communal Meal?, so I taken the liberty of adding you to the list, by doing this it show easily who is taking part and we can decide how to do it, I think a stew and dumplings is always a good meal as its easy cooks its self, warm and filling.

I would suggest lets see who wants it and the decide how we get the food.

This is the grill I have that we use over the fire, its about 1' by 2'
2012-11-17 17.24.36.jpg

Thinking about the communal meal on the sat night, shall we keep it simple and just do a beef stew with dumplings, may be apple pie and custard. If you would like to take part, copy paste this part of the post and add your name to it then repost.

As far as doing it goes we normally just take turns in getting the bits for it, this time i am thinking share the cost by bring a part of it, ie someone bring some meat, someone else brings veg,'s, gravy/herbs, dumplings, pie, custard, or i can take my turn in buying it then divide the cost between the people there,

1. Big Stu
2. SJStuart

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
No worries :)
I'll be bringing my Lansky Deluxe Diamond set with me as well, so if anyone wants to reprofile/sharpen their knife/knives... good opportunity :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
No worries :)
I'll be bringing my Lansky Deluxe Diamond set with me as well, so if anyone wants to reprofile/sharpen their knife/knives... good opportunity :)

always a handy thing to have a sharpening set, I've always got mine in my rucksack, if Paul brings his axe i'll have a go at it as you could ride to the moon and back on it, and still have a bum like a baby..... :)

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
A "tree stove" is a self-contained stove system which attaches (harmlessly) around a tree. It beats trying to maintain a fire on wet ground, and provides an off-ground table for food prep. Idea is that you can use it even when the ground is soaking wet (or frozen with snow, for that matter).

This is one of the best I've seen [video=youtube;QOZMeM9Ov4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZMeM9Ov4s[/video]
Hoping to get to the meet guys but still unable to give a firm comitment yet unfortunately

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
David Pearsons' video is what gave me the idea to build my own tree stove in the first place. Dave's a genius (and a great guy too).

As he'd say... it's "faaaaaantastic!"

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I went out solo in Colchester last night, it was dusk by the time I finished work and made it to the wood. The idea was to try out the new ish Berghaus bergan I got from the swap forum and my new UQ and amsteel ridgeline. Being a hungry type fella I had pre prepared some pork belly strips in piri piri mushrooms peppers and tomato all into kebab type size chunks, I thought kebabs on green sticks over a fire.
Well guess who left his knives in his other bergan! Yes I did really! Couldn't even sharpen a stick, oh and my flintstrike is with them. Starting to panic as not even got a mobile signal to call SWMBO. What no fire?, a quick rummage through my response pack and I found a lighter phew.
Got the tarp and hammock up, then collected standing wOod, at least I had my folding saw with me, a campfire was soon keeping me warm, played around with the new tree straps, whoopies and ridgeline and got them set, the ridgeline makes a huge difference to the flat lay, I'm very pleased with it.
Soon had the pork etc in the pan lid frying away, sat back and watched the fire....oh tranquility.
Started to rain after dinner so lay in the hammock and watched a good film on my tablet "The Edge" with anthony Hopkins, plane crash bear country lost, bushcraft skills, just what I needed, definately one to watch, i have it on SD if anyone wants to see it ( the meet. I closed the tarp down and the rain and wind picked up. Rained all night but I was warm and dry under. my 3x3 DD tarp.
8am Trangia on for a quick brew as the flask was only luke warm, trangia fits well inside my woodgas stove. Wifey was meant to be picking me up around now so I wandered up the hill for a signal, TEXT TEXT TEXT "I've been in this wood looking for you for half an hour and I'm getting fed up" Oh Bugger, started whistling and the doggy soon brought her to me just as the kettle boiled, lol she was drowned! I made her a cappucino as a picifyer, may have to cook her dinner later to make up. Soon packed up and homeward bound.
Another super night out, shame it was solo.
Nearly forgot! On the walk back to the car, SWMBO says "what's wrong with that knife on your shoulder strap?" OMG my emergency knife was with me all along WHAT A PLONKER, still it was a good test of my kit and I've learned some lessons.
Sent using Tapatalk

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've learned some lessons.
Sent using Tapatalk

Few lessons learnt there, Paul, main one is don't let the missus have to find you in a wood, lol....

Hope she is now smiling...

I keep a folder in my Response pack, and my fire/tinder box is in there as well. if I got my Responce Pack then I am ok,:D:D

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
David Pearsons' video is what gave me the idea to build my own tree stove in the first place. Dave's a genius (and a great guy too).

As he'd say... it's "faaaaaantastic!"

That is really cool, I'm confused as to why it doesn't pull itself apart with the weight of the fire tray and the extra shelf pulling it down.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That is really cool, I'm confused as to why it doesn't pull itself apart with the weight of the fire tray and the extra shelf pulling it down.

If you pull something in to the upright the have a bottom support it cantilevers against the tree, just like a balcony does.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
His grill is compressed to the tree with two bungies. The top section on its own is fairly useless when bungied because it just flops down against the tree. Once the underside is connected with the uprights and bungied to the tree, everything sits nicely.

If his uprights were welded in place, he could just use a single bungie on the top section to hold it in place (I mentioned that in a comment on his video).

Either way, David's a genius and when I watch his videos I always feel like a student bowing before the master.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Thinking about the communal meal on the sat night, shall we keep it simple and just do a beef stew with dumplings, may be apple pie and custard. If you would like to take part, copy paste this part of the post and add your name to it then repost.

As far as doing it goes we normally just take turns in getting the bits for it, this time i am thinking share the cost by bring a part of it, ie someone bring some meat, someone else brings veg,'s, gravy/herbs, dumplings, pie, custard, or i can take my turn in buying it then divide the cost between the people there,

1. Big Stu
2. SJStuart
3. Zeon98

Im happy to be told what to bring or happy to split cost on Saturday.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I dont mind either way, but it might be better if one person getis it all them we spilt the cost, as there is quite a few of us meeting up.

Cheers

Chris

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com

1. Big Stu
2. SJStuart
3. Zeon98

Im happy to be told what to bring or happy to split cost on Saturday.
I know I'm not a regular but I've found it better for someone to buy it all then divvy up between how many turn up so you know nothing has been missed for the meal. It looks like I will be able to make it as the new grandson was eventually born this morning:goodjob:, and a different one of my daughters should be out of hospital by the weekend. I'll bring some goodies as extras to the meal(s) and pay my share to however if that's OK?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

1. Big Stu
2. SJStuart
3. Zeon98
4. Tagnut69
5. Roman Soldier
6. Whittler Kev

Looks like the 8 ltr DO will be well used, ok yeah I now agree as there looks like it could be 7 or more people for the Stew on the Sat Night, I know that Paul like to get the meet cause he has Mate in the meet trade, I will get the other ingredients , and the split the cost... then as you say we know its there, and not so easy to forget somthing.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I know I'm not a regular but I've found it better for someone to buy it all then divvy up between how many turn up so you know nothing has been missed for the meal. It looks like I will be able to make it as the new grandson was eventually born this morning:goodjob:, and a different one of my daughters should be out of hospital by the weekend. I'll bring some goodies as extras to the meal(s) and pay my share to however if that's OK?

Congrats on that Kev wet the babes head then,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE