Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
SJStuart i think thats fantastic, its always the hardest thing getting permission

Too true! We're fortunate enough to actually know the owner of this particular piece of woodland. I'm also working on securing permission from our local farm tycoon (he owns virtually all of the farms out here... many thousands of acres) to use the woodland patches which intersperse his numerous fields (some of which are virutally forests in their own right, and all of which are entirely unmaintained)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well... I've quickly determined that my Vulture-II setup simply isn't big enough to accommodate suitable winter sleeping garb... so I've just placed an order for a Karrimor SF Predator 80-130 (in Coyote Tan) which should be here by Wednesday/Thursday according to Karrimor.

Went with the Predator so that I could simply mount my existing MOLLE pouches to it, leaving the main compartment and lower sleeper compartment free for clothing, shelter and sleeping gear. This means I can bring more than I plan to use and test different things out.

I also have a large piece of private woodland we can use in future meet-ups/overnighters if that's of interest (there's enough open land for tents too, and the tree density is diverse... it's a nice bit of land)

Thats a great sack, I like the sabre 100, and would use the pouches for it as well,

thats great be great to have a wood land to use, keep us informed....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Well, nobody has the Predator 80-130 in Coyote (and spending that much money I refuse to settle for an odd-colour pack which doesn't match my large number of modular pouches)

So... ordered the Predator 50, which I'm confident will be more than sufficient in size (just hope it's sufficiently comfortable and distributes the weight correctly on my hips instead of my shoulders otherwise it's certainly going back)

RVOps said they'd phone me back to let me know if they could get the Coyote Tan 80-130 in, but never did... so I'm a bit miffed about that.

Decided to go for the Snugpak Elite 5 as my new winter sleeping bag. -15C should be sufficient a rating (I hope)

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Sjs. Sounds complex to me. I work on something warm and dry. Anything else I take as a bonus. A spade helps sometimes to. Lol

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Sjs. Sounds complex to me. I work on something warm and dry. Anything else I take as a bonus. A spade helps sometimes to. Lol

I like trying out different kinds of gear (I do video reviews etc based on my experiences with them). One thing pack testing has taught me is that I need to make my standard gear (the stuff I carry no matter the situation) modular so that I can rapidly attach it to any pack,

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Can anyone set traps and then eat the food caught or find plants that grow local to eat? I would love to learn how to survive just from whats around rather than carrying cans of beans etc.....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
You need a permit and permission from the local game keeper as well as permission from the land owner.

If you don't have all of the above, you are poaching and can face some not-inconsiderable jail time (not to mention lofty fines)

Thankfully I have all of the above, but only applicable to my neck of the woods :|

If you really want to learn about hunting, trapping, gathering and "living off the land" (so-to-speak), we should arrange something for spring when there's more around to catch (and more wild edibles to find)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Looks like loads of different skills with in this group if we can pull it off, looking good, and looks like it will be an interesting meet....

I am looking forward to meeting you all.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Im sure not. I guess one step at a time then. Hard to explain here. Your coming ont the 2nd right? Im sure face to face I can explain better about what I would like to learn and why.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Also I forget but someone mentioned about watching a film. I would be happy to bring some with me and also have so great survival videos that I think people maybe interested in watching.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Also I forget but someone mentioned about watching a film. I would be happy to bring some with me and also have so great survival videos that I think people maybe interested in watching.

They'll need to be brought on a MicroSD card... I'm doing this from one of my Android tablets.

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Sounds like a stonking meet guys! Gutted I won't be able to make this one, will keep an eye on the thread and hopefully make the next one!
Have fun!!!

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Sjs. Happy to bring files on micro sd. Or usb pen if anyone doesnt have micro sd. Ive got usb2go so you can transfer to your android tab sir.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thinking about the communial meal on the sat night, shall we keep it simple and just do a beef stew with dumplings, may be apple pie and custard. If you would like to take part, copy paste this post and add your name to it then repost.

As far as doing it goes we normaly just take turns in getting the bits for it, this time i am thinking share the cost by bring a part of it, ie someone bring some meat, someone eles brings veg,'s, gravy/herbs, dumplings, pie, custard, or i can take my turn in buying it then divide the cost between the people there,

1. Big Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE