Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well said Stu,
and although lightweight i do like sitting at your table under your tarp eating food from your dutch oven cooked on your tripod while your kettle makes me a brew on your griddle.

I just love it :You_Rock_

well thank you.... I aim to please.... oh yeah forgot about my kettle......

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Well, you're both using bigger bags with the extra side pouches, so clearly the 80 litre is going to be my best option really. I just hope I can patch it up (lots of webbing to replace) for Saturday, otherwise I'll be having to cart along some extra bags in my bike's side boxes to supplement a "50 litre" (more like 30 litre) junk bag ;)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well, you're both using bigger bags with the extra side pouches, so clearly the 80 litre is going to be my best option really. I just hope I can patch it up (lots of webbing to replace) for Saturday, otherwise I'll be having to cart along some extra bags in my bike's side boxes to supplement a "50 litre" (more like 30 litre) junk bag ;)

Some will say I carry FAR TOOOO MUCH, lol, each to their own that's what I say...I like to have a few extras, and make my life easy, as far as I am concerned, Bushcraft does not have to be a struggle, I tend to car camp and just walk a few yards, I would cut down the kit if I was walking a distance.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I could probably get away with my Maxpedition Sabercat and LBE harness with the sleeping bag, tarp and hammock rolled up and tied to the harness... but where's the fun in that? ;)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
OH well on the way home tonight, fill up with diesel, the supermarket for Provisions, then pick up table, then get some ore chain for tripod, the home and Pack the rest of my gear...lol...

then sit and wait for 11:30 jump in car and Off to Orhards... Yipeeeeee....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I have a bit more to do than that. Having an 80-130 litre (expandable) rucksack overnighted to me to arrive tomorrow (my old DPM Bergens are beyond repair)... sometime before 12 (pushing it close, I know). I then need to quickly transfer my gear, pack it onto the VStrom and set off in what I'm sure will be torrential rain (me + motorbike = torrential rain, snow, hurricain or worse) .
That means I'm almost certainly going to be there after 12... is that okay?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have a bit more to do than that. Having an 80-130 litre (expandable) rucksack overnighted to me to arrive tomorrow (my old DPM Bergens are beyond repair)... sometime before 12 (pushing it close, I know). I then need to quickly transfer my gear, pack it onto the VStrom and set off in what I'm sure will be torrential rain (me + motorbike = torrential rain, snow, hurricain or worse) .
That means I'm almost certainly going to be there after 12... is that okay?

Thats no problem mate, what ever time you get there, if people are early, we will be camping down the hill in the trees, dont worry the owner is not there just waddle down ther and start, i'll be there from Midday.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
No worries, Stu.

I'll be taking a ride into Ipswich today to the camping/hiking/climbing store there (soon as my Mrs gets home to take these kids off my hands, anyway). Few things I'm going to need that I obviously no longer have time to get delivered (especially cordage as I seem to have lost 200 feet of 550 paracord the other night). Also need some small (but load-bearing) biners to adapt my new LBE harness for my Sabercat pack (which is the pack I carry around, while the larger rucksack just adds the shelter, clothing and sleep items to that loadout)
Also might just grab some interesting-looking items to try out tomorrow (I enjoy testing new things)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
OH well on the way home tonight, fill up with diesel, the supermarket for Provisions, then pick up table, then get some ore chain for tripod, the home and Pack the rest of my gear...lol...

then sit and wait for 11:30 jump in car and Off to Orhards... Yipeeeeee....
Stu I've got loads of chain so don't buy any, I'll bring a bucket of it

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I'm interested to find out what gear people will be bringing, and what size your packs are... because either my hammock is freakishly large or the standard measurement of a "litre" and that of a "cubic inch" has changed. The internal space of these new packs I keep getting is... pathetic! One change of clothes and a DD Frontline hammock in a stuff sack is filling up a Karrimor SF Predator TECMAC 50 litre pack. That strikes me as insane! It says that it's the 50 litre on the pack, but honestly it feels more like a 30 litre daysack to me. So much so that I'm dusting off my old knackered 80 litre DPM Bergen because at least I know that everything fits properly with that pack (with an abundance of extra space, in fact).

It's not like I'm trying to shove the kitchen sink in here, gents. My clothes are compact, my hammock really isn't that large... the bags are just stupidly small these days (I'm betting it's something to do with the silly detachable frame thing for holding a radio... something nobody outside the military actually needs)

Anyway, if you don't mind sharing a gear list and the size of your pack (name of the pack would be helpful too so I can do my own research) that'd be great.

Not going to make this meet but thought I'd share on this subject :)
I use a Mystery Ranch SATL pack - it's about 60 litres and now that I don't have to worry about being given any extra ammo, radios or team kit I find it more than big enough. I took it with me on a week in the Cairngorms in September and I had plenty of room to spare :)
Here is a pic of the pack with my dog Dakota during a TAB round Thetford forest:)

stuff017.jpg

I travel fairly light, my Hennessy hammock, tarp, trees straps etc all go in the lid,

A warm hat, spare gloves,spare socks already in talc in a ziploc bag and a warm top( either RAB Generator or a ME down jacket) all fit in one of the front "tube" pouches.
The other front pouch holds my rain gear- jacket and trousers.
There is an open pocket on each side that fits a waterbottle - nalgene, or a USGI and a mug .

TIPIandBrandon056.jpg

Main compartment will have my spare clothes in a dry bag at bottom of pack,
Sleeping bag already in its bivvy bag
Thermarest prolite4 folded down back of pack.
My medical kit and wash kit live in on of the two internal bladder pockets and on the other side the other bladder pocket will hold my fixed blade and folding saw.

Here are the bladder pockets so you can see what I mean, there is one on each side with a Paracord hangin loop which is handy for "idiot cords"

TIPIandBrandon063.jpg

I have a military "fanny pack" as the yanks call them that has what you would call my survival kit in it and this lives under the lid of the pack for easy access - has a small cuts kit, Israeli dressing, spare compass, some tinder, foil blanket, USAF magnesium fire lighter, turbo flame lighter, matches, Paracord ,Petzl E lite headtorch spare batts,ESEE arrowhead and some waterproof bags plus a few other bits.

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I have just spoken to Alan at orchards the tree areas are not under water, and he is opening the toilets and showers for us, He is expecting us on Saturday at miday,

So far List attending is
1. Stu
2. Paul aka Roman Soldier (I want to cook for myself to test kit but willing to help)
3. KIMBOKO aka Nick P Now comfirmed. Shift Changed.
4. Rumcelt
5. Zeon98
6. Tagnut69
7. SJStuart
8. Wittler Kev

I'll be bringing
Coleman Lamp
Table
25ltr Water Carrier
8ltr Dutch Oven + Tripod
Griddle
Large Tarp for Group Shelter

For the Group meal

1. Big Stu
2. SJStuart
3. Zeon98
4. Tagnut69
5. Roman Soldier
6. Whittler Kev
7. Rumcelt

Paul If you can get the meat I will get the rest.

I've got Mitch66 (Carl), a tree swinger, coming with me as well but he has to be self managing foodwise so he wont be joining in the beef stew and dumplings :( if thats OK

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have just been thinking, seeing that I and Paul are getting the stew, can people bring some change along with them , lol also it will make it easier when it comes to pay for wood and camping, sod's law says that everyone will bring a twenty pound note, lol

I've got Mitch66 (Carl), a tree swinger, coming with me as well but he has to be self managing foodwise so he wont be joining in the beef stew and dumplings :( if thats OK

That is no Problem at all, Kev.. be good to see every one that comes

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
It great what's going on here now, people are talking about kit and it feels a great buzz, be a great weekend to get to know people, must remember my chair this time, lol...

Forgot to add , have a great time lads!
we will try, shame your not coming this time, no doubt there will be loads of pics to follow......

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Good news... my 80-130 litre Bergen has arrived a day early. I managed to grab the items I needed from the camping/hiking/climbing store in Ipswich, too... though he didn't have any 550 Paracord so I've bought some of the lower-strength stuff (not sure what its rating is but should be sufficient to hold up a tarp)

Transfering the contents of the smaller bag over now, as well as my pouches... then all I need to do is bring in the tarps (which I stuffed under the netting on my bike's saddle because it was pitch black when I took them down and I couldn't be bothered trying to fold them back up again) and attach them to the pack and I'll be ready for tomorrow :):cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE