Suffolk Bushcraft Group

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
looking forward to seeing that! you must have a goldwing with a trailer lol

Nope... it's a VStrom with some pannier boxes attached.

The tree stove isn't big, though! Fits easily into my Vulture-II's water bladder compartment (convieniently with a chopping board I use as an internal frame solution)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The name came about many many years agoafter a few too many beers on rainy Saturady afternoon when I was trying to setup an email account, my mate was watching something about sheep and the rest is history:)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm scrambling to try and find a suitable sleeping bag (or other appropriate coverage) rated for freezing temperatures that'll also fit on the pack (I refuse to pull out the Bergen... I've spent a fool's fortune on the new gear and I'll be damned if I'm going back to that huge and uncomfortable monstrosity of a pack)

Perhaps a little insight into the sleeping gear you guys will be bringing might help point me in a suitable direction?

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
I have an old military rescue sleeping bag that im going to lug down, a thinsulate hat and maybe a hot water bottle if I can be bothered.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
UKHammocks winter uq and army arctic bag as a top quilt. Colombia reflective lined hat which came free with the wife's jacket. I sleep in my thermal leggings and buffalo top, this will be the first time with the new uq so hoping I can lose the buffalo.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Think a little drink may help the night go along, lol,

I got a Home made UQ, army artic bag, and ill strip off to my base layer to sleep, with a hat.

depends on weather and wind if i close down the tarp just to give a little more protection,

Just one little tip bring a flask, fill it just before you go to bed that means that if you need a warm drink its there no mucking about.....

oh yeah we always have a kettle on the go as well....

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I should be alright in my new bag, US army modular thing rated down to -50f apparently, a bargin at £50 delivered of fleabay

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I should be alright in my new bag, US army modular thing rated down to -50f apparently, a bargin at £50 delivered of fleabay

Seen them they are ment to be good,

Thats an other great thing about meets you get to see other peoples kit and also it in action, so not just a opinoin on the tinernet

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
This is the thing I have just bought, mine has been issued but you would not realy tell though. It is very very big though, it comes with a compression stuff sack, when not compressed is about 40L in volume, about 1/3 of thet compressed http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-PIECE-M...810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a21fb7fca this is it next to a Berghaus Munro 30L rucksack
DSC_0001_zps601ee080.jpg

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Well... I've quickly determined that my Vulture-II setup simply isn't big enough to accommodate suitable winter sleeping garb... so I've just placed an order for a Karrimor SF Predator 80-130 (in Coyote Tan) which should be here by Wednesday/Thursday according to Karrimor.

Went with the Predator so that I could simply mount my existing MOLLE pouches to it, leaving the main compartment and lower sleeper compartment free for clothing, shelter and sleeping gear. This means I can bring more than I plan to use and test different things out.

I also have a large piece of private woodland we can use in future meet-ups/overnighters if that's of interest (there's enough open land for tents too, and the tree density is diverse... it's a nice bit of land)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
It's between Tunstall, Orford and Sudbourne (about a 30 minute walk [5 minute drive] from the sea)

It's not a camp site, so not the kind of place for people to overnight if they're used to toilet facilities, water on tap and all those luxuries. It's just a good sized area of woodland (even has its own large ditch too) with plenty of hammock, tarp and tent options.

We can even have an open fire so long as we're responsible (no burning down of the forest) and scatter the ashes when we're done.

It's got road access, too, and (to an extent) it'd be possible to bring cars onto the land.

I'm going to do a more detailed survey of the site now that I have permission to enter, and I'll post some videos to give you all a better idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE