Suffolk Bushcraft Group Daniel Boone Challenge 20th and 21st September 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'll add that one, its interesting how differnt the foods were as the 1800's went on and what sort of life style you had, in a way it points out the class system and who could afford and who could not afford,

the one that makes me smile is the first menu at the top of the page, very differnt to most of the foods that a mountain man would eat.. all a good read tho.

I been looking at the teas and coffe that were drunk, I so far have found Acorn which I have already heard about, herbal teas, and one that also croped up a couple of nigth a go was Native Holly tea.. I wounder if the English holly is the same, found these links as well..

http://news.ufl.edu/2009/06/25/yaupon-drink/

http://www.eattheweeds.com/hollies-caffein-antioxidants/

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well been busy this morning, went into town, got some calico.. and found an old belt, a bit of leather to make thong, and a tea towel.....

and came up with this...

A Food Quiver, its about 18" round and 16"long

DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0022.jpg

Its made from Calico, an old yellow cotton tea towel, with an old belt, and some 1mm leather thongs cut from a piece of leather I had

my Brew Pouch and spice pouch , and the new four calico bags fit in with loads of room, the brew kit contains tea leaves, coffe grinds, and sugar and milk powder, the little spice pouch has mixed spice, and some mixed herbs, pepper and salt.

The four Calico bags have
Bag 1. Three Portions of Bannock mix
Bag 2. Dried Currants, Sultanas, raisins, cranberrys,
Bag 3. Crystallized Ginger and Dried Apricots
Bag 4. At the moment has some corn flour Wraps...

and some dried meat - Biltong will fit in as well.

The amount I have there is what I took to the last Suffolk meet... I was surprised how much I could fit in..

Tidy job I like that.
Reckon it will hold everything for the entire time of challenge?
I'm looking into brick tea which was the traditional way of carrying it back in long hunters time.
Really it should be sweetened with cone sugar but thats a swine to get hold of.
I'm debating trail bread/hard tack for bread source. Not certain yet.
Theres also corn meal mush which seemed to be a firm meal fixture

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Tidy job I like that.
Reckon it will hold everything for the entire time of challenge?
I'm looking into brick tea which was the traditional way of carrying it back in long hunters time.
Really it should be sweetened with cone sugar but thats a swine to get hold of.
I'm debating trail bread/hard tack for bread source. Not certain yet.
Theres also corn meal mush which seemed to be a firm meal fixture

I've also been into the local coffee shop, and spoke to the woman in there, and she recons she can get green beans, so will look at trying that,

I would like to get some block tea as well...

I have seen the cones somewhere... cant recall tho

Yeah I think it will hold all the food I need, I did the last monthly meet on what I have in the Quiver so I think it will be ok :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice work Stu, where did you get the calico from in town.
cone sugar is on that US site I posted the other day, havnt found a UK supplier though but cant imagin that it would be too hard to make.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah I seen the chocolate drink,

I been coming across a number of references that they carried their gear in a modular form, for a number of reasons, ranging from personal preference to need to dump stuff in emergency/hunting needs for ligtness.

this would be the possibility bag would be put on first, in this would be all the stuff they really need, ie gunpowder, shot, knife, flint/steel, tinder...ect this would be over the shoulder, then would follow the food/bag, then the haversack with all the other gear they had ie cooking pots... then the sleeping bed roll after that...

they would drop the items un-required and return to them later..

This is the way I will be going at the mo...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice work Stu, where did you get the calico from in town.
cone sugar is on that US site I posted the other day, havnt found a UK supplier though but cant imagin that it would be too hard to make.

I know someone had put a post up...:)

I got it from Franklins, think it was about £4 a meter.....

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Loads of links in that last site, fantastic.

Love the quiver. You are a fast worker. From idea to production in a day :)

Not found what we call black tea in brick form yet. But have found Chinese black tea which is slightly different. However may be worth a go so will report back.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Sad to say I am going to have to pull out of doing this, I have just looked at the dates, and its the weekend of my sons birthday, his is on the Sunday but the wife is talking of going away for the whole weekend. I have cut my name and pasted the list below

List of Attending - Regular Attendee's only at this point in time....
1. Big Stu
2. RemeaviThanatos
3.Crosslandkelly. Looking forward to this.:D
4. mitch66
6.​

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sad to say I am going to have to pull out of doing this, I have just looked at the dates, and its the weekend of my sons birthday, his is on the Sunday but the wife is talking of going away for the whole weekend. I have cut my name and pasted the list below

Oh that's a shame Chris.. but the little ones B'day is more important.

I've also been thinking about the Haversack/Possibility's Bag thing, think I will make a possibility's bag and a haversack...lol. I ve worked out a Pattern for the Haversack so will start on that soon,

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I've also been thinking about the Haversack/Possibility's Bag thing, think I will make a possibility's bag and a haversack...lol. I ve worked out a Pattern for the Haversack so will start on that soon,

Ok it's official you either don't sleep or you are a robot. You production rate is outstanding

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Been Busy this morning... :)

And just came up with a Haversack...

Made it smaller the the sizes I have seen , as I thought I'd try to keep the kit down.... and as its smaller it may get used more.... its got a divider in the middle which make one large pocket, in the back pocket I've added three smaller ones, so will not lose small items in the bottom :).

DSC_0024.jpgDSC_0025.jpg

They are quite comfortable to wear and I like the look of them...

DSC_0026.jpg

Hope you like

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE