STUPIDLY SIMPLE Midge Repel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Arrived safe and sound today and will keep you updated when i get five minutes to play.

Rosahane

Jan 21, 2013
Ireland
Thanks Xylaria, the two tins arrived today just in time for a visit to our daughter in Mayo at the weekend. She lives in a lovely place which in common with many lovely places has midges to torment intruders. I'm sure the potion will magic them away :)

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
recieved today smells great cant wait to try, i am on the west coast scotland in two weeks so will be put to the test them buggers eat you alive over that side, atb wayne

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Don't wish to sound rude but roughly how long does this last? Obviously 15ml is a very small amount compared to high street alternatives. Can you give some clear instructions on the amounts used on various body areas so I can get a jist of how long a tin will last me?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Don't wish to sound rude but roughly how long does this last? Obviously 15ml is a very small amount compared to high street alternatives. Can you give some clear instructions on the amounts used on various body areas so I can get a jist of how long a tin will last me?

It is a very hard balm, like beeswax lipbalm or cherry shoe polish. Under normal conditions, just a very light smear to forehead every few hours the tin would last a good while. Under Scottish midge fest conditions the product generally needs to be applied to other areas on a frequent basis, but still sparingly. I would expect a tin last a few months in those conditions.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
It is a very hard balm, like beeswax lipbalm or cherry shoe polish. Under normal conditions, just a very light smear to forehead every few hours the tin would last a good while. Under Scottish midge fest conditions the product generally needs to be applied to other areas on a frequent basis, but still sparingly. I would expect a tin last a few months in those conditions.

So rather than acting like the high street versions which require to cover every inch you have exposed, this acts as a scent repellant to your general body area?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So rather than acting like the high street versions which require to cover every inch you have exposed, this acts as a scent repellant to your general body area?

Pretty much yes. However, I test every batch in bottom of my garden, it is a midge pit. Yesterday evening it was Scottish, huge clouds of the buggers. I didnt get bit on face where i had applied, but did on the chest and a patch on the top my arms. I was weeding at 9.30pm so I was standing still. Tonight I wore long sleeves and applied to all the exposed bits, including scalp. They buzzed about my face, I got a pretty irrating large cloud of midgies, but no bites.

We are going to do a larger tin, and soft neem based lotion.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been using my little tin for about a month now and you can hardly see where it's been used at all. I reckon the tin size is fine, tbh.
It's about the same size as the vaseline lipsyl tins. Easy to slip into a pocket or a bag and not so heavy or bulky that it's an annoyance to carry.

M

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Totally agree with Mary there, a very handy size ( at a very fair price)
But put me down for a large tin when they are ready please!

Best.

Chris.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
tried mine ,i was surprised it actually works,so many i have tried but this qworked proper,mrs fish didnt use it and got bitten to death!lol

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Excelent response to my allergy testing, ie no response at all. :)

The "warming feeling" I experienced on my inner arm must have been from something else as I've now tried this stuff everywhere except the delicate skin under my eyes & not had any trouble with it at all.

Now for a person who was a subject in a university allergy study a few years ago not to have any reaction at all it's a blessed relief.

On top of that 6.5 miles, mainly woodland and field side tracks & not a bite, t'other half got a couple.

Thumbs up from me, & it wont take the finish off my gun stocks like DEET does either

Happy Camper :-D

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I've lived and fished on the west coast of Scotland all my life. Loch Lomond,Awe,Long,Fyne,Treig,Ossian etc.,and I've never came across a lotion or potion that will stop the dreaded highland midge. The midges up this way are all carrying flick-knives!! Deet,Autan,Jungle Formula, Citronella Oil,Skin-so-soft,local mud etc.....None of them work for me, or my associates. Maybe you've stumbled upon midge-repellent-gold but i'm sceptical!! When the water goes flat calm then cover up and tuck in your midge net! A nice smokey fire gives great relief.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE