STUPIDLY SIMPLE Bug Oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Stupidly simple bug oil spray is a neem oil based spray that is applied to the skin to provide a layer of protection against biting insects. Four other essential oils have been added to provide a level of repellancy and to improve the smell of the neem.

The spray is £6.00 for 200ml with £2.60 for postage.

The spray is 10% neem oil, is not suitable for pregnant women or people on immunosuppressant drugs because it stimulates the immune system to reject foreign tissue. It is not suitable for children under 2 as it makes the skin taste bitter, and has quite a large concentration on essential oil. Hands should be washed after application.

Send a PM to me with your e-mail and postage address, and an paypal invoice will be sent to your e-mail address.

[I have no idea what photobucket is doing with the photo]

Attachments

• promo.jpg
    promo.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Two days in my local woods plus five days at the Moot plus SSBO equals no bites. Thanks to Xylaria and Woodstock for making this happen.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Two days in my local woods plus five days at the Moot plus SSBO equals no bites. Thanks to Xylaria and Woodstock for making this happen.

During that time how uncovered were you? long/short sleeves etc? Also roughly how much of the bottle did you use in that time?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
During that time how uncovered were you? long/short sleeves etc? Also roughly how much of the bottle did you use in that time?

I normally use long sleeves, tuck in shirts and wear thick socks at this time of year to guard against the beasties. At the Moot it was warm so I went without socks a lot of the time, with short sleeves and shirts not tucked in, so giving the biters more opportunity. I can honestly say I have no bites at all which is a record. Other people there were complaining of bites so the critters were around.

As for usage, I've probably used no more than 10% of a 200ml bottle.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The repellent might be a bit awkward to try out, wouldn't it?
But I love the stuff I have tried from you, both the tins with bugrepellent and the lipbalm with wick.

xylaria

The repellent might be a bit awkward to try out, wouldn't it?
But I love the stuff I have tried from you, both the tins with bugrepellent and the lipbalm with wick.

I must say finding test subjects for a headlice repellent was a bit difficult, my kids after a ten year week in week out battle now no longer get them, and I you cant exactly go about asking people if their kids have nits. The lady in the local health food shop [aarvark carmarthen] was really helpful.

xylaria

brill :) really looking forward to this :)

by the way, whats the shelf life of the bug spray ?

The bug oil lasts 12 months, the neem can slightly seperate when cold or left standing forming a darker bit at the bottom of the bottle. The product is not effected by this.

I am not sure about shaving oil. I dont know why blokes dont use straight olive oil on your skin, we are great belivers in if you dont need something dont use it. The ingredient list on shaving foams are really nasty, nobody needs that level of rubbish when you can use plain soap or cooking oil. The price of some shaving oils is really very silly, but then the same is true ladys hair removal products [you only need sugar and lemon juice BTW ladies] there is a bit of con going on with what is in a product and price. For us to post a bottle costs 2.60, the empty 50ml bottle costs more than 50p and aldi do extra virgin olive oil for less than that, or get one of those spray lite cooking oils. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaving_oil

The headlice repellent is in local health shops now, send a PM if anyone is interested. It is not really bushcraft related so I am not starting a thread on it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE