Stopped again.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well I've often said that I get stopped by the police regularly while going about my business. Guess what? It's just happened again.

I was driving out of Liverpool on the M62 and I spotted a cctv van parked on a bridge with a couple of squad cars on the hard shoulder.

As I drove under at 65mph I could see they were watching me and one of the cars pulled out and worked it's way up behind me.

Suffering from that guilty conscience that gets us all at times like this, I had dropped my speed to 60 but I had to pull out around the guy in front of me who must have been feeling even more guilty.

The pursuit car pulled round me and on go the blues and a sign saying "Follow Me".

I was led off the motorway and into the services where there was a whole team of coppers waiting for me. :eek:

I pulled up and one of the coppers had a chat with the officer in the car before walking over to me.

"Is this your vehicle sir?"

"Yes it is officer, have I done something wrong?"

"Just a routine check sir, would you mind stepping out of the vehicle?"

What followed was the usual documents and name check while a customs officer introduced himself and asked if he could check my fuel. (Looking for red diesel I guess.) Another policeman is checking my tax disc and prodding my tyres.

Then the one I've been dreading for years.

"Before I ask you to open the back of the vehicle, is there anything you need to tell me?"

"Yes officer, you are going to find two spears, four axes, six swords and five knives in the back."

Taking a half step back. "Really, and would you mind telling me where you are going with them?"

"I'm going home."

"And where have you just been?"

"At a school near Knotty Ash."

"What were you doing there??"

"Well today I was being a Saxon, but usually I'm a Viking or a Roman, that's what I do for a living. I teach history and ancient skills."

By now an understanding look is on his face and we start talking about the fact that I obviously have a good reason for carrying said items. The customs man has finished his job and I am quickly waved on my way.

Nobody even looked in the back of the van in the end.

Thank goodness for policemen with common sense is all I can say, until the next time.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Liverpool is notorious for it`s exports so it`s understandable I suppose that they have an interest on the vans coming out of there.

Classic answer though Gary, I bet they don`t get responses like that everyday.

Haha!
You tell a good story Mr Wayland.

It was so painfully obvious where it was going (they HAD to ask you to open the back) but even then I couldn't help laughing at this point...

"Before I ask you to open the back of the vehicle, is there anything you need to tell me?"

"Yes officer, you are going to find two spears, four axes, six swords and five knives in the back."

When he got to that question were you closer to "I'm going to Jail!" or laughing inside knowing what was coming?

I kinda wish I'd been there to see that whole scene unfold.

I wonder if it would have been as smooth as that if you'd been going TO the school.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

A fairly light load for you then Gary :D. What they would have found if you'd have been back from a re-enactment weekend?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Haha!
You tell a good story Mr Wayland.

It was so painfully obvious where it was going (they HAD to ask you to open the back) but even then I couldn't help laughing at this point...

When he got to that question were you closer to "I'm going to Jail!" or laughing inside knowing what was coming?

I kinda wish I'd been there to see that whole scene unfold.

I wonder if it would have been as smooth as that if you'd been going TO the school.

I have to admit I was a lot happier dealing with it on the way back from the school because I would have been worried it could make me late if I'd been on my way.

I've had this in the back of my mind for so long that I was thinking "I'll play it slightly" because I really wanted to see what would happen.

I think the worst that could have happened would be a delay, because I had all the school paperwork with me, so there was no arguing about why I had the stuff.

I thought it was a safe time to test it out.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well I've often said that I get stopped by the police regularly while going about my business. Guess what? It's just happened again.

[Thank goodness for policemen with common sense is all I can say, until the next time.

Have you ever thought why you get stopped?
It might be the long haired hippy thing, so you look like a drug smuggler. Is your van marked? because a plain white transit looks more "rented" and anonymous it could resemble the description of something they are looking for. Mind you a marked van would be an advert for "rob me I have more sharps than the leeds armory"
Be honest are you a little lead footed, or because you drive so much bit relaxed in your driving style.

I have only being a stopped vehicle 3 times and twice it was because of less than prefect driving. The third time I nearly got slapped by the driver because I kept asking the copper stupid questions like is "I hope its ok the seven year old in back went to training camp in pakistan to learn urban combat". " why are you stopping us, we're not black or asian?". I got threatened with a oily gag before I could say the nine bar is in the fuel tank.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Have you ever thought why you get stopped?
It might be the long haired hippy thing, so you look like a drug smuggler. Is your van marked? because a plain white transit looks more "rented" and anonymous it could resemble the description of something they are looking for. Mind you a marked van would be an advert for "rob me I have more sharps than the leeds armory"
Be honest are you a little lead footed, or because you drive so much bit relaxed in your driving style.

I have only being a stopped vehicle 3 times and twice it was because of less than prefect driving. The third time I nearly got slapped by the driver because I kept asking the copper stupid questions like is "I hope its ok the seven year old in back went to training camp in pakistan to learn urban combat". " why are you stopping us, we're not black or asian?". I got threatened with a oily gag before I could say the nine bar is in the fuel tank.

I think I get stopped because the van's a bit old and I look a bit like a pikey / hippy / biker.

You wouldn't believe the trouble I have driving through customs....:drive:

Debs used to think I was exaggerating about how often I get stopped until it happened twice in one weekend and then again getting on and off the ferry to Norway. :rolleyes:

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Happened to me many years ago coming home from the range on my bike.
" is this your motorcycle sir?"
yes
"and would you mind telling me what is in that bag strapped on the back?"
1 9mm Heckler and Koch pistol and 200 rounds of 9mm ammunition;
pause "do you have a license for it sir?"
yes
"thank you sir...that will be all"
He looked as though he really wished he'd clocked off earlier:)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Liverpool is notorious for it`s exports so it`s understandable I suppose that they have an interest on the vans coming out of there.

Classic answer though Gary, I bet they don`t get responses like that everyday.

What makes Liverpool notorious? How is it any different to other major cities?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE