Stopped again.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
attachment.php

goodjob I've seen this worded slightly differently but the same general sentiment. Either way it's perfect truth.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I used to have fun and games when returning to .uk from .nl, driving a .nl licensed car. Would get pulled over frequently, wind down the window and talk with a British accent. Really put them on the back foot.

"Why are you coming to the UK?"
"I'm going home"
"Why are you driving a dutch car?"
"It's my girlfriends"
"Have a nice day Miss"

Had a few fun times going through Eurostar security as well, seems I have a look to me that says "this one needs checking out"

That said, I did kinda ask for it once wearing a corset through security...

J

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well, I speak from my personal experience, not through Memes.

The assumption that I must live in a rough area is typical of the prejudice that I'm talking about. You have no right or evidence to make that sort of judgement. I live in an average residential area, three doors down from a police officer and his young family. I wonder what would have happened if his car had been broken into?

You do not know me at all. People that do know me would tell you that I am a decent, law abiding citizen of high intelligence and clear moral compass. The sort of person the police force was set up to protect in the first place.

In this country at least they rely upon the support of the community to do their job but just look at the clear change in my attitude over the seven years that this thread has run. I'm not the only person to lose such respect for the police, a succession of recent and historical cases all over the media make it very clear that the police now serve themselves first, and the public, if it is not too much trouble.

I used to be the type of person that would have gone to the assistance of a police officer in trouble. Now, I'm not sure what I would do.. I certainly would not put myself in harms way to help because I am genuinely not sure they would do the same for me. I think that is a shame but that is how I now feel.

The last time I reported a crime, I was the one that ended up in court because the person I reported turned out to be a family member of a serving police officer. It was the justice system that actually came to my aid, not the police. The court and the IPCC both clearly judged in my favour although the police's own complaints system shamefully tried to cover things up and smooth things over.

The way I look, the hours I work, the places I travel and the fact that I drive an older vehicle should not make me a target for police harassment but they clearly have done. I have remained philosophical about that over the years but my patience is running out. Enough is enough.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Get a grip Wayland. Do you really think that plod want to run the UKs police forces in the way it is now? It is ALL legislated or dictated by the Home Office. In other words the Government. If you don't like it, please lobby your MP to change it instead of whining about it. The Chief Constables now have to serve a political administrator (PCC) which is absolutely not in the public's interest. Your everyday copper has a job to do, let them do it. I promise you that there is not some countrywide conspiracy against you. Coppers catch baddies by doing certain things- stopping vehicles is one of them. There are entire departments dedicated to Road policing, which also includes speed enforcement and poor driving, just the same that there are departments investigating frauds, murder, street crime etc.

My view is balanced. I was a cop for 5 years in the military police and for 19 years with the old bill. I became very disillusioned with it all 3.5 years ago and I am no longer a copper.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This seems to be a conversation that's going down hill guys, it's one of those things with opposing views and experiences that can rarely be reconciled and are best putting aside, if not it becomes a convoluted decent into bickering and turns nasty.

So, I'd suggest that this conversation be left alone now, I can close the thread if it's easier?

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I have a jaundiced view of some of the police but in farness must mention my last contact with them. We came home from an event and somebody has broken out side gate open. Nothing stolen, no other damage but I reported it in case there was a pattern of such in the area. Nice conversation with the person on the non-emergency line. Visit from a Community Support Officer and a later follow-up call from the local officer in charge. One thing of significance was that, as we are both pensioners we were offered support if we felt we needed it. Thanked for the offer and declinedn. Repaired the damage myself and improved the security of the gate.

And, some Policemen do touch their community, thanks Andy.
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk...wing-reports/story-26138682-detail/story.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-31886432

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Please close it or delete it.

If we keep it civil I see no reason to delete it.

Look at Wayland's first post in this thread, from back in 2005, all in all he is relating a relatively positive experience of an encounter with a police patrol car. Looking through the thread you can see a general trend to be less positive.

I know Wayland, not well, but we have bumped into each other at the odd moot. A nicer and more positive individual you could not hope to meet.

If it is his experience that day to day policing is not as it was back in 2005 then that is something that we should know about.

I suspect most here have only positive or no experience of the police however it is clear that some have had quite negative experiences, this is something we should be aware of.

Policemen and woman are human beings, like anyone else they can have bad days or perhaps they are just bad eggs. However unlike office clerks or sales assistants their having an 'off' day or being gits can have a profound effect on other peoples lives.

So lets keep it civil and if you are a policeman...

"Let's be careful out there"

:)

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I bow to the mod's discretion.

Personally I find the posts one-man-upping each other as to how unco-operative they could be to police less than excellent.

Although they are falling, motor vehicle accidents are still a common cause of death and major injury. None of us should take umbrage at being stopped and our standard of driving (or state of vehicle) being examined by police.

550 homicides for 2011/12. 3 654 road fatalities in the same period.

Policing the roads is important.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
None of us should take umbrage at being stopped and our standard of driving (or state of vehicle) being examined by police.

The opposite side to the "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear" coin is "If you've done nothing wrong, they have no grounds to stop you".

The police in general do a very difficult job very well. I have a lot of friends in the police and work with them ( and against them ) every day. I could also spend the rest of the day quoting examples of both excellent and atrocious behaviour from police from direct personal and professional experience. It's not a question of being unco-operative with the police, they have no right to the answers to the fishing questions they ask in the circumstances described. It's exactly the same as if I , right now, demanded personal information from you and then described you as unco-operative and suspicious if you, quite rightly , refused to answer.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Seems everyone has a wide variety of personal experience with the police, myself i have been a victim of a magnitude of crimes in my life, reported everyone of them to the police and not once have i seen justice, i've been burgled six times, stabbed once, mugged twice, had 4 cycle stolen which all contained electronic security tags in the frames and police serial numbers stamped on them, every time all i got from the police was a crime number for insurance purposes, they never even fingerprinted the house each time i was burgled. Does where i live affect how incidents are treat? Should it?

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
The police are just stealth tax collectors these days - I am sure a lot of them are as frustrated as I am about it though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE