Stolen Knife at Wilderness Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
I'm gutted for you mate. And after all the time and knowledge you freely give. If you don't mind I'll print the photos off and drop them into some of the outdoor centres I occasionally work for. They have a lot of camps overnight and often people like to show kit. Everything I've done in the outdoors is based around trust, whether it's the guy belaying you or the guys with throw lines on a rapid and everything I've seen in the bushcraft world points to the same. I'm just sickend that this has happened.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
It's be like paying money to get into an art gallery then taking a stanley blade to the paintings. Normally people pay to go see things they are interested in and care about.

well no, it'd be like paying money to get into an art gallery and then stealing something from the gift shop, i bet lots of real art enthusiasts do that. i agree that normally people pay to go and see things that they are interested in and care about; normally, but not always. i'm not defending anything here at all, i just think that "bushcraft enthusiasts" come from all walks of life and we shouldn't make the assumption that somehow because we class ourselves as bushcraft enthusiasts we're somehow above other people, not even chavs

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
I'll be keeping the pic of the knife on my phone in the hope that I may one day come across it.

I left kit laying around for days at the moot, and some people warned my about thieves being about and others shared my naive opinion that bush crafters wouldn't steal from one another!

Whilst I wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush it's a crying shame this has happened.

Once in a while Dave, just now and then; what goes around, comes around!

i leave kit lying all over at the moot for naughty corner to use and the only thing i have ever had go missing is my knife out of a to pound kfs set and i then found it and well i then accidently snapped it so to say it went walkies would be wrong and well we have never had anything taken from the moot well except once but that person no longer drinks at this said fire

so the moot is different and its how the wilderness gathering should be

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
If you haven't thought about it - It may be worth posting this in the leatherwork section over on BB, you never know, this no neck scrote may be stupid enough to try and get a sheath made for it!!!!!
Anything like this always leaves a bad taste !!!! Lovin the file work, if thats any consolation :(

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
dave i wasnt there but i will tell u what this makes my blood bloil cos i was playing with it at the moot and i love your handy work and have baught many a thing from u and well if i hear or see just a sniffter of that knife well i will be on to u straight away

drew

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Makes me angry that anyone can stoop as low as to steal from a fellow outdoor enthusiast. I had a motorbike stolen some years ago. I'd got it from my dads friend who was a fireman. Next thing I know every fireman in Portsmouth was on the look out for it as it was a rare beast. It took two weeks but it turned up, found not by the police, but a wagon full of burley fireman. Didn't catch the guy who stole it, but he must have got a shock if he saw them all inspecting the bike and then walking off with it.

So don't rule out getting it back, eyes everywhere will turn something up.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Will keep my eyes open for this, At least the benefit is that I would guess %90 of the visitors were there because they are a part of community and the other %10 were there bacause they are the friends\partner\parents of someone who is in the %90 group, so hopefully the little bellend will gob off about his\her new knife at some point and be found out,

Southey,

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
i leave kit lying all over at the moot for naughty corner to use and the only thing i have ever had go missing is my knife out of a to pound kfs set and i then found it and well i then accidently snapped it so to say it went walkies would be wrong and well we have never had anything taken from the moot well except once but that person no longer drinks at this said fire

so the moot is different and its how the wilderness gathering should be

I believe Lurch had kit go walkies at the moot a couple of years back Drew, security is not a dirty word.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
It only takes one person to ruin ans take all the mutual respect and trust away from events like these, like when i camp at game fairs and leave all my belonging freely in my tent presuming that like minded people would never steel from each other.
I bet the worst part is that the thief proberbly had a overly long conversation with one of you

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Sorry to hear this Dave. I have allways felt like there is a bond between everyone in the community. And never even considered worrying about leaving stuff unattended. It is trully a lowlife that has spoiled a wonderfull event. I hope that everyone reading this keeps a eye open and finds this person recovers Your knife and names the scum.

Good luck

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Sorry to hear about this Dave, I hope the little dung heap is caught and appropriate reparations are made, say a good old nailing to a tree one cold winters day.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Beautiful knife & the event looked fantastic as well, it's a shame that some git had to spoil the trust & mutual respect that all bushcrafters have ! (or should I say most)
He or she needs serious punishment.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Dissapointing but not totally unexpected. The Midland Game Fair has a bad reputation for attracting those people who make a living by theft; let's hope that 'bushcraft' events are not finding their way onto the vermin's radar.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
That is a beautiful and unique knife, but let's hope it has not fallen into the wrong hands, hang a minute it has fallen into the wrong hands a criminal of which the thief has made them self.

But such intricate details will be difficult to hide and I fear perhaps it may be under water by now the thief realising what their disgusting little ways have caused for them, for it is unlikely a thief would risk any bushcraft folk seeing it.

But such events where traditional crafts are sold, should they be open to all and sundry, as to be so risks this, the criminal acting criminally, not to forget other implications that the criminal minded may get up to.

But in finality ;

Hey criminal, if you are reading, know this, you are scum, not worthy of anyone's time or good will.

Firefly1

Jun 20, 2012
North Wales
Hi Dave,
That little ****,I had my eye on that knife at the show and was going to talk turkey with you on sunday,so that you had less to transport:):)
on that note I hope the knife bites back big style.

This has really shocked me as all weekend I had never felt more welcomed or at home so much as the WG

Over 3 days hundreds of people "carried" not one incident that needed the NHS's super service and one PILLOCK ruins an absolutly superb weekend.

Dave, take condolence in this if you can,if you do another put me at the top of the list.

Big respect to you and Cheshire Cat hope his sunburn got the "old forge water" shower to cool down:eek:

Firefly1

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
An open event you say. So not necessarily one of the "family". It could very well turn up somewhere down the line and be returned to the owner. It would be fitting that if it did turn out to be a member here who was the perpetrator that they were named and shamed for all to see. I do hope justice is served. Best wishes and good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE