Stock knives?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Does anyone make a reasonably priced stock knife, as in the hook ended knives clog makers used? The only ones I've found on the net have been $200 custom jobs.

i've been vaguely looking for a original set to do up but so far no joy.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tom: take a look at farrier's knives. They are most all in the general shape of a Mora #171 Equus (made in left and right pairs = get both). I have 2 pairs plus 2 x #188.
Diamond (Taiwan) #271 L&R look like Mora clones, tang and all (one pair). Ukal/Supervet (France) makes a very hard steel knife meant for dressing the
toenails? hooves? of sheep and goats. Much smaller blade = at 12 degrees a treat to use. Just one and a bargian at $12.
Hall brand knives are made in Canada, very tough steel and $50 each (one pair). OTOH, a brief chat with out local farrier and I bought several "worn out"
Hall knives for $5 each. Plenty of carving life left in those. Plus the ground down skinny blades can do tighter corners.
All bevels revised to 12 degrees, the hooks are opened to 7/32" with a chalked chainsaw file.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ah , no , i mean it literally has a hook on the end, you hook into a ring set into a large block of wood and there's a long arm you use as a lever.

http://thenewhearth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/stock-knife.html

very effevient at removing large amounts of green wood.

i've a couple of Mora spoon knives and a hoof knife that's still waiting to be sharpened, 8 years later, and a couple of days back herself ordered me one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/anglo-sax...414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item235018038e

which is as good a approximation to a Welsh twca cam as we can afford. It's made from hardened 0.6 % carbon steel. The other stuff we have had fom him have been wll made.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tom: Thanks for taking the time to post links of explanation.
I had to watch Atkinson demonstrate his finesse. There's no similar PacNW edge that could or would do the same thing.
Any elbow adze and any D-adze together could not fashion wood that quickly.
All the same, it's a serious investment in metal.
When you said "stock", I was thinking in terms of "livestock," = herds of domesticated farm animals.
I'm the winner! Learned something new again today!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
stock knives pop up occasionally in the usual 'old tool' haunts. You know, farm sales, antiques shops, woodfairs, Ebay, etc.

I don't know of anywhere that you can buy a new factory made one though. So unless you make yourself one, then you will have to pay one of us to make one for you ;)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
With a bit of welding/bashing you could adapt a draw knife:
Mike%20Abbot%20drawknife%20resized.jpg

http://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I think herself would have a fit if I started altering the Ray Illes drawknife she got me only this year but it would make a excellent start point for a improvised one. I put a screw in ring in one if the handles of a Mora drawknife so I could hang it up and did have a bash using that with it temporarily stapled to a lump of wood. On light stuff it worked rather well but I was in constant fear of braking the handle so haven't repeated the experiment.

if I didn't already have more financial commitments than cash I would love to commission one like in the tent peg making vid, I should get off my ar5e and get rid of some of the stuff I don't use like the 1st pattern Oakwood Wiseman knife herself got me back when we didn't have kids, mortgage etc. and turn it into stuff I would use!

Very roughly what sort of cost would a one off stock knife be? Nah, don't tell me, I'll sell the family silver, scrape just enough together then a wheel will come off the Mondeo, again ( span across three lanes of the M66, punched through a double barrier spun across the south bound 3 lanes , during rush hour mind, and ended up on the hard shoulder. We just clipped a rear light on a passing van, not a scratch on any of the passengers but the old tank was a right off. Actually the insurance got that, it's the opening of doors on to pillars in multi storey carparks that's the money drain, but I digress...).

i'm just greedy, I've had so many shiny new toys this year. Ok mainly old toys I've made shiny.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well done that man!

at £135 it's not beyond the bounds of possibility, just extremely unlikely until I shift the massive heap of militaria I've thinned out from my collection and all the other carp I've acquired for no good reason.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've sent the guy a e asking him the dimensions of the ones he makes but the ones I've seen in clog shops are are about between 2 and 3 foot long. The size given in "Concerning clogs" for the blade section is 13 inches by 4. So nearer 2 than 3, handle, hook and all.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well folks, it would seam that I have pre spent anything I get for my birthday as I've ordered one of the stock knives from Mick at FraughtWrought. It will be different from the one on his website with the blade adjacent to the hook like on a Greaves example I like the look of.

I'll show and tell when it's arrived.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, that was a waste of time. Thankfully I hadn't sent him any money as I now can't get a reply from the guy so after near a month I've given up on him. Way it goes.

He did seam to have a strange sense of humour so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised it came to nothing.

So I'm back to mooching about looking for another UK maker.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Way it goes! Josh Burrell, for my own perverse reasons I don't do FarceBook and I couldn't find a Email or postal address on his Blog. I'm slightly nervous as he does really good high end stuff, beautiful, but with his work being of such a quality and obviously in demand he may be out of my price range, which was pretty much topping out at the £130 th other guy supposedly did them for....

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE