stainless or carbon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
With the super steels like RWL-34 the differences in terms of use are getting narrower. But in short 01 tool steel holds a great edge and is easy to sharpen, while stainless can be a tad tougher depending on which stainless you go for. 01 needs care and attention as it can rust if damp and acquires a patina with age. Stainless steel, again depending on quality, can stain and rust, but is more resistant to it.

Many bushcrafters prefer 01 and love the characteristics of it gaining a patina with use. If you canoe or are near salt water alot, stainless is the choice.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
In short,

One rusts, one doesn't

Both take a good edge

Stainless is a little more difficult to sharpen, but not by much, the steel is just a little bit more wear resistant, which is good when using it.

Edit, what Jonathan said :D

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
With the super steels like RWL-34 the differences in terms of use are getting narrower. But in short 01 tool steel holds a great edge and is easy to sharpen, while stainless can be a tad tougher depending on which stainless you go for. 01 needs care and attention as it can rust if damp and acquires a patina with age. Stainless steel, again depending on quality, can stain and rust, but is more resistant to it.

Many bushcrafters prefer 01 and love the characteristics of it gaining a patina with use. If you canoe or are near salt water alot, stainless is the choice.

Got it in one...................

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Between Carbon and stainless there is also a personal thing to check out.
Some like carbon some doesn´t.

Carbon steel has a finer carbide and molekular structure than stainless, so you can sharpen a finer edge which is better for carving knives or kitchen knifes.
You´ll never can sharpen a stainless steel blade as fine as a carbon one.
But don´t misunderstand me - you can get a razor edge on both steels.

There are a lot of good steels out there to get - and everything is a little bit different.
Stainless steels are a preference in wet conditions - Carbon steel is better for finer edges and is easier to sharpen.

Which steel how ever you choose it´s very important that the heat treatment is correctly done and the right choice between hardeness and flexibility and also the knife specifications are important (blade hight, blade thickness, the grinding and so on)
Each use needs a different knife optic, a different steel, a different hardeness and so on.

The "perfect" knife is not on the market and so is the "perfect" steel not out there.
But in bushcraft the carbon steel is a little bit better (in my opinion).

You can easily sharpen it in the bush, the fine edge is perfect for carving and the little bit of work you have to do (dry it after use and put some oil on it) is not the big problem to deal with.

Stainless steel would be my choice in wet or salty conditions - but in every other situation I´d take a carbon one with me.

Some words to think of:
"Take care of your knife as you would do with a good friend and you already have a good friend on your side for a long long time.
It´s a little bit of respect you gave to your knife by cleaning and oiling it and your knife will gave this respect back to you, when you working with it."

Hope this helps
greetings from Austria
Mike

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
With stainless being reccomended for wet environments maybe all of us in the uk should be toting stainless blades :lmao:

:D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Tis why i own a fallkniven in kydex and a knife i made in oiled leather :D

So i will take both sides of both cases , ;)

:lmao:

You 'n me both. Well except the bit about a knife you made and an F1 :D

DSC05276.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, full flat is the RWL-34 w/carbon fibre. I was thinking of getting an S1 recently.

Sorry for the hijack dorkingbushcraft :eek:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
As already said, depends completly on the steel, heat treat and grind.

For example, D2 is a carbon steel and 12c27 is a stainless steel.

And if they are Heat treated the way they are most commonly heat treated, D2 is harder to sharpen.

maybe even 01 is harder than 12c27 (depending again on Ht)

01 has roughly 1% carbon and 12c27 has about 0.4%.

But 12c27 has alot more chromium which adds a bit to the difficulty to sharpen. but so does the little wolfrum (or tungsten) in 01.

Wheras D2's combination of 1.5% ish of carbon and its high chromium content combined make it a little harder than both to sharpen.

But i dont think there is a huge difference.

As you can see it is not a simple answer to the question. A bit like asking who is better french or english, and of course the intelligent answer is that it depends on the individual.

It was a good question! sorry i went on a bit:)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
And to top off what Shinken said, the hardness can also affect resilience when it comes to corrosion/stain resistance. The harder treated RWL-34 is, the better it resists the elements, but then it gets harder to sharpen..... all so confusing.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
With all the modern stainless steels about these days, theres not much, if anything between them performance wise. I know fallknivens VG10 is easy to sharpen and takes an edge as good as any 01 or other high carbon blade.

If i had the kit to HT stainless then i would definately use it in equal measure to 01.

Like i said before, i have both VG10 and 01 knives and really like the VG10 performance wise i'd rate them equally. With the VG10 taking it one step further by being weatherproof.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
In all honesty I think that RWL-34 has the best attributes of 01 and the top performances of SS, it is the steel all to end all :D I do however love the patina you get with good old Sheffield 01 steel. It's the steel that Britons stood behind for millennia and it serves us well even today. It's the same reasoning behind us choosing wood and natural materials for our handle slabs over the much better performances of micarta, carbon fibre and others... It's the romance of the ancient.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
In all honesty I think that RWL-34 has the best attributes of 01 and the top performances of SS, it is the steel all to end all

It is one of the best, but i personally think 3v is the best. it's availability however is pants:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE