Spyderco Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
New scouting report. They still don't know any more than they did a month ago about the release date.

Also, if you're a sharpening geek like I am, you might want to take a look at their Golden stone (fine grit ceramic Duckfoot) which just came out and their 8x3" UF benchstone. I walked out with one of the 8x3" UF benchstones and love it. Puts a killer mirror finish edge on that will whittle hairs without much effort.

What happened to your info in the post that stated Spyderco were no longer using 01,. was it false, unsubstantiated or a mistake :confused:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, I had a box in the mail at the end of last week, which contained two very nice looking knives in stabilised maple, along with a prototype sheath for evaluation and return.

The most visible changes, after the handle material, is that the grind now comes very close to the handle, and the stock is now 1/8th with a parallel tang.

I don't expect there will be any reason for Sal to object to me posting pictures of the knives, but I wasn't able to photograph them over the weekend, and what with working late this week, the next chance will be this coming weekend. Sorry.:(

Not sure about posting pictures of the sheath yet though.

Emerson

Jan 11, 2009
IL
www.edcknives.com
Is the sheath well made? Is it also made overseas?

So the tang is now thinner but still 300 dollars.... hmm Can you get some crappy photos up tonight or tomarrow? They dont have to be the best ever.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sorry, but I don't get home till after dark and my camera gear isn't up to taking knife pictures by flash. They don't look that different from the earlier protos anyway. If you really want some pictures, and can't wait, drop me an email and I will take some form of image and mail it to you.

I am thinking though that if you are in that much of a hurry to buy a knife then I am sure you will be very happy with one of the BRKT offerings. I don't mean that to sound brusque, but the Spyderco knife seems unlikely to be released for a little time yet (lets say months rather than weeks, just to be on the safe side) and there is no point in folks getting wound-up because it hasn't been released and they need a knife now. I'm basing this on my own experience of having waited for gear release that has run close to some other deadline.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
What happened to your info in the post that stated Spyderco were no longer using 01,. was it false, unsubstantiated or a mistake :confused:

Rats, was hoping no one had seen it yet ... it was a mistake. I looked at the specs for the wrong knife in the catlog. Got all fired up and went off half cocked with my earliest post. My sincerest apologies.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Right, got some photos...

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

There may be some minor changes at the front of the handle, and the production handle wood may look different.

Front of the handle is going to look a little like this. (NB, this is one of mine, not Spyderco's ;))
PICT4250.jpg

Smoother entry into a sheath and easier to clean.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
am i the only one that thinks this this knife looks like 99% of all other bushies with a hole in the blade? :dunno:
Dont get me wrong, i like it, but i just thought it would become something more come the later stages of development. I either feel it should offer something different or have a reasonable price tag come release day!

Dan

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
am i the only one that thinks this this knife looks like 99% of all other bushies with a hole in the blade? :dunno:
Dont get me wrong, i like it, but i just thought it would become something more come the later stages of development. I either feel it should offer something different or have a reasonable price tag come release day!

Dan

I don't want to sound vanilla, and maybe I am in the minority in thinking this, but I don't see much reason for "something different" in a "bushcraft" style blade. this is spyderco's entry to bushcraft, and i think they have a potential winner if the price is reasonable through retailers.

although i would have gone for A2 instead of O1, heh, although no doubt O1 has proven itself time and again

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
They are nice looking knives. Like all the "bushcraft" knives, though, including the ones I make, its a variation on a theme. There must only so many variations you can come up with. Why put a hole in the blade? Well, why not, after all, what are mosaic pins for? Decoration.

Will they really stick to the stabilised wood?

I quite like the shape and look of it, but I think I'll stick to what I have got!

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I have always thought spyderco to be a dynamic and innovative company, not afraid to make things differently. Whilst i like the design and aesthetics of this knife i just feel that spyderco are now just jumping on the bushie bandwagon in an attempt to gain a piece of the pie!

This will become more apparent when the RRP is revealed. I kinda just expected a something that little bit special which at the moment i am not sure this is.

Dan

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dan,
There are quite a lot of posts now on this forum, British Blades, Blade Forums and Spyderco's own forum covering the things you raise in your posts.

You are not the first to voice disappointment that Spyderco have not been "dynamic and innovative", but it has already been pointed out that
A) If this is successful there is the intention to make a flat ground S90V version with carbon handles,
and
B) Just how to you define dynamic innovation? Spyderco make a lot of knives in VG10, S30V and H1 with synthetic handles, using wood and O-1 is a big departure for them, whereas VG10 and Micarta or G10 would be sort of ho-hum normal. If you can find another company of similar size and standing who is offering knives in O-1, please can you let me know. I have thought it a fairly rare thing and if I am in error I would like to know.

Be fair to Spyderco, they did not jump on this so called bandwagon without a lot of outside persuasion. It was UK Ken who first asked them to look at making such a knife in the first place. Anyway, if the product is good, what is the problem? If it cost more than you wanted, don’t buy it, you will be no worse off than if they hadn’t tried, if it’s affordable to you, as a consumer you have more choice with no personal cost. Is it worse that Spyderco try to make a knife for the bushcraft market than it is for them to make money from the military, police, fire service, hikers, hunters, fishermen, divers, martial artists, competitive cutters and knife collectors?:confused:

MSRP was announced and discussed at great length a couple of months ago. But that was in Dollars and we will have to wait and see what it finally retails for in the UK.

Spyderco could have set out to design a knife from their own research and completely off their own bat. Most likely, if that had been the case, we would all still be waiting and it might never have happened. If it had happened, the resulting knife would have undoubtedly looked more like what most folk think of as a Spyderco and would probably have shown a lot more US influence. Would it have had a single bevel? It certainly would have been a thicker bevel, probably thicker stock. There would have been less width sculpting in the handle. If it had been made in the US it would probably have been S30V, innovative, but a pain to sharpen if done as a single bevel, however you need to remember that Spyderco have no spare US capacity, nor any in Japan. The end result would probably have sold fine in the US and to knife enthusiast here, which might be the main market anyway, but it was hoped that this design would appeal to a slightly wider group. Outdoors enthusiast who are not steel junkies, who typically don't like Spyderco because they think their knives are ugly and too tactical, and who wanted a comfortable full tang scandi, of guaranteed quality, to take into the woods and use. It wasn't meant to look like a Spyderco Bushcraft Knife, just a bushcraft knife.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Thankyou for the reply chris and for tying up afew loose ends i had in my head. one thing that puzzles me a little still though is that why would people campaign for spyderco to create a knife of such similar design and specs to the majority of all other "bushcraft" knives, when there are so many other options available that are all so similar? why would you pay (for instance) £200 for a mass produced knife when you could get your own custom knife made to your own specs for the same price? other than for the sake of owning a "spyderco bushie?"

I am a spyderco fan and this is in no way an assault on them as a brand and i also own a few different "bushcraft knives" i just wonder if these knives are going to be aimed at the "user" and offered in sufficient numbers at suitable price or whether they will be simply become a "collector" knife and become the next woodlore?

I have not meant to offend anybody involved with this project and would greatly like to see it become a success and beneficial to everbody!

Dan

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
As such I am not a 'knife' man, but I got to play with it this weekend and it was a very nice tool to use. Felt good in the hand and was comfortable in the palm. Very high quality of finish.

Sandsnakes

Rod

On a new journey
I got a chance for a quick go with this. Liked the feel and way it worked wood. Great edge. My only downs were the handle is well silky - which could be fixed with quick wipe over with fine wire wool and the sheath is pants (IMO).

Cheers for letting me have a go Chris. PS found your cord!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE