Spyderco Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
FYI

Spoke with Rachael at the Spyderco Factory Outlet (my home away from home don't ya' know, lol) and she said they were expecting the Bushies in January and the price usually isn't set until the product is actually released for sale.

Be safe.

NJ

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
i had a play with one of Chris's knives from which the spyderco bushcraft( i believe) takes many of it's cues.

it really is a very good knife, i've had customs that were much worse quality, if the production blade is up to the same level as the proto it will be well worth the street price, though the RRp would still shock me

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
News to me :dunno:
I have made it a point not to nag, hound, or chase Spyderco for information.
The last I heard about the project was at the start of December when the catalogue was published and the MSRPs were announced, and that wasn't a proper update on what was happening.

Sorry, but it sounds like you have heard something more recently than I have.

Ah, just found this:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614388
:lmao:

Guess we will have to wait and see what the post brings.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, the one that we sent Sal as a starting point prototype did not have a fire steel loop. This was something that was discussed and it was decided that on ballance it was more trouble than it was worth. I don't know what Spyderco's take on our sheath design will be, but I put together something that was ambidexterous with three or four carry options. In that case the inclusion of a fire steel loop made the sheath too wide and more complicated than wanted for something to be produced in quantity.

I have seen one too many fire steel react to chemicals in leather and either just corrode away at a fearful rate, or in a couple of cases, to actually make a mongy mess of the leather itself. Even in a Kydex loop, if the sheath gets wet regularly, a fire steel can disappear within a couple of months.

The conclusion that was reached, for this project, was that while some people like the loops, others don't, and if keeping the means to make fire on you at all times was the goal, it was just as ably served by having a mini tinder kit in your trouser pocket.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, the one that we sent Sal as a starting point prototype did not have a fire steel loop. This was something that was discussed and it was decided that on ballance it was more trouble than it was worth. I don't know what Spyderco's take on our sheath design will be, but I put together something that was ambidexterous with three or four carry options. In that case the inclusion of a fire steel loop made the sheath too wide and more complicated than wanted for something to be produced in quantity.

I have seen one too many fire steel react to chemicals in leather and either just corrode away at a fearful rate, or in a couple of cases, to actually make a mongy mess of the leather itself. Even in a Kydex loop, if the sheath gets wet regularly, a fire steel can disappear within a couple of months.

The conclusion that was reached, for this project, was that while some people like the loops, others don't, and if keeping the means to make fire on you at all times was the goal, it was just as ably served by having a mini tinder kit in your trouser pocket.

Never was a fan of firesteel loops.

Say Chris, I'd be glad to check out one of those prototypes if you are too busy. Save Sal some shipping charges too.
innocent.gif

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Why that is very kind of you Hoodoo...thinking of Sal's postage expenses ;)

How about we get Sal to send the knife to you, then after you have played with it for a few weeks, you forward it me? :D

Or we could do it the other way around and you try it on the return leg?

Any way that it works I think it safe to say that you will get to have a play!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Why that is very kind of you Hoodoo...thinking of Sal's postage expenses ;)

How about we get Sal to send the knife to you, then after you have played with it for a few weeks, you forward it me? :D

Or we could do it the other way around and you try it on the return leg?

Any way that it works I think it safe to say that you will get to have a play!

Well, I was just kidding, of course. :D I did enjoy playing with the original though. :cool: I am looking forward to the release of this one. That hole in the blade should make it light to carry.
innocent.gif

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's now February (someone earlier mentioned something about January...). Is there any sign of these being made available to the bushcrafting public soon? They look good, sound good and I'm interested despite the duff exchange rate.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
New scouting report. They still don't know any more than they did a month ago about the release date.

Also, if you're a sharpening geek like I am, you might want to take a look at their Golden stone (fine grit ceramic Duckfoot) which just came out and their 8x3" UF benchstone. I walked out with one of the 8x3" UF benchstones and love it. Puts a killer mirror finish edge on that will whittle hairs without much effort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE