Spyderco Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Personally I like it.
I think it's different enough from the woodlore to not make it a clone and it's traditional enough to appeal to many.
The fact it will have Spyderco on the blade will mean it has following from the fans but it is also designed as a user and I'm sure a very capable one at that.

Well done Chris and Sal I say

Mark

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
The Spyderco "trademark" hole in fixed blades makes them look minging.
I have bought a Spydie fixed blade with a hole in the blade (an Aqua Salt) but that is a work knife. I don't care what it looks like.

But "Bushcraft" knives are meant to look nice, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I understand that 01 is easy to sharpen and works well - but is there milage in making this in CPMS30V or VG10 AS WELL?

There has been talk of bushcrafters and kife junkies - but there is a huge overlap too.

The skookum is in CPM3V which is much tougher and as most of us carry DC sharpeners they work well too. A piece of wet and dry sharpens the harder steels well and inexpensively.

I think the biggest seller for this blade, as it's manufactured by Spyderco COULD be the range of metals it's made it.

It looks like a very well thought through blade, but in supersteel and micarta, whilst not necessarily the most beautiful, could be an awesome alround knife.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Don't get me wrong, I really like like the looks of this knife! O1 is good for me, as would RWL or any other fine grained steel.
It does ABSULUTELY not look like a woodlore clone. I'm very happy with the design, and will probablt buy a knife or blade if that's possible.

All in all:

Sal and the spyderco team have always made great knives. I have confidence this knife will be no different.

Best regards,

Michiel

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The burning question to my mind is: when will these become available?

Hole or not, it's a fine looking blade that I know will be beautifully made.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The silent majority.:approve:
It looks a very useable knife, good blade size, grind and thickness. The curve on the rear end may not be aesthetically pleasing, but from experience, would be comfortable for prolonged use. It reminds me of the Alan blade 'packpal' which has a very good reputation as a user.

Most definitely. That rear curve is taken exactly as-is from Chris' proto and when I handled it, it was one of the most (surprisingly) pleasing aspects of the knife. It's an extremely comfortable handle design.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Regarding the steel.

I know that the super steels are sharpenable with the right kit. I have some of that kit, but quite a few don't. The D2 prototype I tested came with bevels that were not absolutely, perfectly, flat. They were very close, and it was very sharp, but the O-1 example worked better, so I set to work to make the bevels dead flat. It took me 45 minutes and I ended up using 120grit wet and dry on a sheet of glass. My red DMT just didn't shift the metal fast enough to be practical in my opinion.

At the same time that I was testing the O-1 and D2 Spyderco, I was also fortunate enough to have a slightly used;) A2 Skookum that needed a little attention. It was LOADS easier to flat sharpen. If a range of steels were on offer then there would be a place for one of the super steels, as there is on the Skookum, but if you have to use just one steel, let it be the one that will suit most people and most situations.

Additionally there is still the issue of logistics on steel supply for the chosen manufacturer. You might note that while Spyderco offer a lot of different steels, they don't have all the knives made in the same place. I don't know for sure, but I would hazard a guess that all the VG10 stuff is made in Japan, where the steel is made. The S30V offerings are made in the US. The Jerry Hossom range of fixed blades are made in Europe and use N690Co. Sal said that there was no capacity for this project in either their US facilities, or their suppliers in Japan.

On the shape of the butt, well, it isn't the most beautiful way of finishing the handle of a knife that I have seen, but most of the handles that I think look great have turned out to be a bit impractical or uncomfortable when I have handled them. Spyderco like to say that they make "Fugly" knives, functional, if a little ugly :D So I am not worried about how it looks so much as how it feels.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've already commented on this knife over on BB and don't have anything new to say so forgive me if I'm repeating myself.

I know the design is nothing new to us and we are very used to Woodlore style knives but there's nothing wrong with that. Spyderco's main market is the US where this type of knife is less well known and they may be the first mass-market manufacturer to offer one for sale there.

I think it looks like a good knife, even the "Spydie Hole" could be useful although it does look a little odd at first.

I'll be interested to see how much it costs, if its not expensive then it's certainly a knife I'd consider purchasing.

I think it's brave of Spyderco to make a radical departure from their usual designs and personally I hope that its successful.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There’s lots of questions about when and how much and the fact is that we don’t know, this is a long term project that we’ve been involved in for a couple of years with Spyderco. We were conversing with them about a knife and they wanted to use the design that we had. It works, it does a great job, it’s not a clone and I think that it’s a great knife and Chris did a great job with it :You_Rock_ . This is a bushcraft uk project with Spyderco aimed at bringing a good knife to market and that’s what’s happening, be patient, it’s not here yet but it’s close.

The handle is very comfortable, if you use strike the butt you turn the blade away from you and it creates a nice platform that doesn’t kill your hand like some. It’s comfortable in a fist grip both forward and reversed, it’s comfortable choking the blade. It’s a good knife to use for prolonged periods and it’s tough enough to continue as a user for years and years through all the activities one uses a knife like this for. :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I think it looks like an excellent knife and as it would be backed by Spyderco's reputation for quality is likely to sell well.

The hole would stop me buying it though. It could well be a reservoir for bacteria and make field cleaning of the knife difficult. Just a personal view.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
It looks like a very well thought through blade, but in supersteel and micarta, whilst not necessarily the most beautiful, could be an awesome alround knife.

I like the prototype as is, but I'd love to see Spyderco use economies of scale to bring a supersteel / micarta version to market at a reasonable price too.

As for the Spydie-hole, I think they should either reverse-engineer a purpose for it or, if they simply want to keep it as part of the Spyderco identity, maybe stamp/etch a virtual "hole" to retain the visual effect. However, even if it stays as is, if all the other aspects of the finished knife were right I would still buy it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses

Rat

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The price is high, but having said that many of Spyderco's prices are.

The golden ones are, the Chinese ones are amazing quality and price. I have a tenacious that cost me just over £20.

If this had been $200 it would have been a serious contender I feel.

For about another £40 you can go to Mr Mitchell for a knife at the current exchange rate and get something to get REALLY excited about.

I don't feel this is the fault of Spyderco, a brand I have huge respect for, but the exchange rate recent change adding £50 hurts.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Looks alright to me but I am fairly sure there will be some soft handed person out there that will worry about blisters, another who won't like it cos its sheath isn't like a custom knife and several more won't like the grind.

Of course its not a proper bushcraft knife till its laid on a bit of wolf fur/spiked into a random bit of wood and had its photo taken then put back into its pristine drawer with the other 15 practically unused blades:)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The price is $299.95 and it is made in Taiwan.

I had high hopes for this one but I think for less than that price I can get a custom made knife from a local maker.

Sorry to ask but where did this information come from, is it factual? Not being cheeky but just curious. Seems a lot...

Thanks and regards,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE