Spyderco Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Thankyou for the reply chris and for tying up afew loose ends i had in my head. one thing that puzzles me a little still though is that why would people campaign for spyderco to create a knife of such similar design and specs to the majority of all other "bushcraft" knives, when there are so many other options available that are all so similar? why would you pay (for instance) £200 for a mass produced knife when you could get your own custom knife made to your own specs for the same price? other than for the sake of owning a "spyderco bushie?"

I am a spyderco fan and this is in no way an assault on them as a brand and i also own a few different "bushcraft knives" i just wonder if these knives are going to be aimed at the "user" and offered in sufficient numbers at suitable price or whether they will be simply become a "collector" knife and become the next woodlore?

I have not meant to offend anybody involved with this project and would greatly like to see it become a success and beneficial to everbody!

Dan

I think your assumption that the intended market is directed at the knife nut rather than a more diverse market might be a tad unfair.

I think Spyderco was shooting for a market which includes anyone who may be an outdoors person who needs a trustworthy bush tool/knife and who may not have the experience necessary to obtain one with quality hopefully surpassing the average United Cutlery piece of crap. I personally believe that's their intent in a nutshell.

The future product introduction, which is dependent upon this knives success, might well be considered for the rest of us who are looking for a "premium grade" alternative (hmmm, the average scandi or woody is rarely seen clad in CF scales and with 90V steel that only the most experienced of us might have the remotest chance in hell of sharpening with anything but diamond stones, hones or steels). OK, rant over.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cheers Rod :)

Dan,
Don’t worry, I am sorry if I sounded offended…blasted internet really doesn’t quite cut it for conveying tone :p

You make good points and while I could once again go through explaining the whys and wherefores that have brought us to this point, they wouldn't necessarily answer those questions particularly well. I will tell you what though, while I think it most unlikely that this will become anything like the next Woodlore, I would be mortified if it did, and pretty disappointed if it just got bought by collectors.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
If this is successful there is the intention to make a flat ground S90V version with carbon handles....

oh my, now you're talking! :cool:

love the look of those proto's. i'm looking forward to getting one, well, see what the street price is eh?

cheers, and.

Emerson

Jan 11, 2009
IL
www.edcknives.com
The wood lore is only popular because of Ray Mears using it. I doubt he will buy one of these and use it on his show.

I think a S90V with carbon fiber handles would be a big mistake. Micarta would be the best handle choice, no matter the style or blade steel. All the wood does is make the price go up. Something the non knife knut does not need. I still think the price is way too high for a non US made knife. BRKTs are way, way less. At 300 dollars the street price will be around 190-220.

clancy84

Aug 29, 2011
brighton
just to let u no i got mine from usa 5 months ago and noticed after getting it about 3 weeks of ownig it the tang on the handle startert to develope brown spot like it was oxadizing so i took it off with flitz mettle polish and rubed vasaline on it there still there but not notesable unless u realy look shame coz it is a nice knife but the sheat is pants and rusting that quick not worth the mony realy.im sorry about the spelling as i was always an outdoors person and never did like moden ways

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Damn this is an old thread resurrected.

I have three of these knives now and each one is a joy to use. My latest was in G10 and looks as it did the day I received it, my older ones are well used now but are among some of my favorite knives to use. The handle on one has a wee crack but Mr superglue fixed that. In the new year I plan to clear out all my knives down to just three users, heavy camp knife, bushy style and a small necker so watch this space as there will be some nice blades going quite cheap.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm very happy with mine. It's not only a very effective knife it's a comfortable knife to use :D
Just had a looksee and I can find no rust marks on mine at all :) and it's no drawer queen. Mine has micarta scales because Chris knows fine I use mine in the damp and wet.
That said, mine's in a sheath made by LuckyLee and I have no idea what the Spyderco sheath looks like.
I clean off any gunk, dry it, strop it, and put it back in it's sheath, but that's the only fussing it gets.

Disappointing for you though clancy84, especially if you bought it in from America. No idea what Spyderco might say about the spotting you have :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Damn this is an old thread resurrected.

I have three of these knives now and each one is a joy to use. My latest was in G10 and looks as it did the day I received it, my older ones are well used now but are among some of my favorite knives to use. The handle on one has a wee crack but Mr superglue fixed that. In the new year I plan to clear out all my knives down to just three users, heavy camp knife, bushy style and a small necker so watch this space as there will be some nice blades going quite cheap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE