Spider ID please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi Folks.

I have a little colony of these buggers making a new home on my shed. Mummy spider is a big old girl, bit bigger than a £2 coin and her abdomen is as big as a marble, but squashed a bit. Only a few little ones about atm but theres a nice egg sack under the roof. She's really annoyed with me because i have to destroy her web to get into the shed everyday lol, she's not taking the hint and just persistently rebuilds. It never crosses her mind to move her home 2 ft to the right and she's all good. :rolleyes:

Anyone know what kind of spider it is?

P1010960.jpg

P1010961.jpg

P1010964.jpg

P1010965.jpg

P1010966.jpg

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Oh that's interesting. I expected this to be easy, but it isn't.

So, I know more or less what it is, but I'm assuming the pics are of the juveniles? A pic of mummy, as you call her, would be really helpful. As would a pic of the egg sac you mentioned

If that's mum, then I'd say that she is an unusually fat specimen of Nuctenea umbratica, what I normally call the 'flattened orb weaver' because her flattened shape. The markings are right for that, but she's a bit more filled out than I'm used to seeing. The flat shape allows the spider to get into crevices for protection from predators, and as a result they are all over things like sheds and wooden fences. I've got them in bth or my sheds.

Yeah, I think that is what it is.

I think she is beautiful. :D

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I just enlarged one of the pictures (Control and scroll wheel) - great resolution on those shots HillBill. :)

Definitely Nuctenea umbratica. I can see the abdomen pattern clearly when close up.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The camera was only an inch or two from it, macro mode. Just hard to get good focus on something in a web with a compact camera, it kept focusing on the shed.

Yeah thats the mother, big old girl, i didn't take pics of the young ones, as they are only 1 cm long max. I thought it'd get ID'd better with the mum.

We have some green orb spiders floating about the place too. :)

I just enlarged one of the pictures (Control and scroll wheel) - great resolution on those shots HillBill. :)

Definitely Nuctenea umbratica. I can see the abdomen pattern clearly when close up.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've just read that its a biter? Well, that it can bite. How aggressive are they? Don't want it dropping down my neck one morning and having a chew :) They are only out at night though, which is why i've left them put.

It also says the females get to a max of 15mm, i'm presuming thats referring to the orb as this ones is about that size? This spider was easily 30mm leg span.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've just read that its a biter? Well, that it can bite. How aggressive are they? Don't want it dropping down my neck one morning and having a chew :) They are only out at night though, which is why i've left them put.

It also says the females get to a max of 15mm, i'm presuming thats referring to the orb as this ones is about that size? This spider was easily 30mm leg span.

How aggressive? They aren't. They run away and hide. Only way to get bitten is to trap it against your skin. Might hurt, but harmless.

Spider size measurements refer to the distance from front of face to tip of abdomen. Legs don't count.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great pic. I have a pet spider that lives in my garage, called herman. :) Have been feeding him for months now and he is getting huge, must get a pic for you guys to ID. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah as i said, dont want it falling down my neck when i have to move its web, this may encourage a nibble. Dont want to have to bite her back :D

How aggressive? They aren't. They run away and hide. Only way to get bitten is to trap it against your skin. Might hurt, but harmless.

Spider size measurements refer to the distance from front of face to tip of abdomen. Legs don't count.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We had a house spider living on our cellar steps which i used to feed, it moved out in the spring. It may be back come winter. :)

Great pic. I have a pet spider that lives in my garage, called herman. :) Have been feeding him for months now and he is getting huge, must get a pic for you guys to ID. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE