Awe inspiring grizzly experience.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Howdy,

I don't often post on here, but I had the most amazing, and terrifying, awesome experience the other night. I thought people may be interested to know, and it is probably very pertinent to those who live and visit bear country. Take note; never underestimate these things, never take liberties with them, and never let your guard down.

2 nights ago, I was travelling back home from a nightshift in the middle of nowhere. I was in a work vehicle, and was accompanied by a trainee. Bears are very relevant to my job, and I am very aware of them, their body language, their behaviour, and cautions to take around them, but this one caught me out. It just goes to show, they're all individuals, and just because one bear does one thing, doesn't mean the next bear will behave in the same way. Before people start chipping in with their 2 pence worth on what went wrong, I know exactly what went wrong, and know how to avoid it in future.

01:30 am, and I was travelling home. Wildlife on the roads is pretty frequent at that hour where I live, so I was keeping an eye out for creatures, and eye shine as I was driving back. I'd just passed through a herd of cow and calf elk, when up ahead crossing the road and heading into the ditch I see the dark shape of a bear. The bear was heading across the road to the treeline, and it was reasonably dark, so I couldn't see if it was black or griz. There was a dark shape in the middle of the road, and I couldn't tell what it was. I was thinking it was either a medium sized cub, or an elk calf that the bear had nailed.

I started to slow down on approach so as not to run over the object. At around 50 metres, the lump separates, and I see that it is in fact 2 tiny little puffball grizzly cubs who both start heading for the ditch behind what is now apparently Mum. They looked like a lump because they'd been rolling about wrestling in the middle of the road. No big deal, I've seen this lots of times before. Mum is ignoring us, babies are following, just slow down a bit to let them get off the road (cause no-one wants to run over a puffball), and don't stop to look as this'll just stress mum out. Little Yogi and Boo Boo make it to the ditch no problem.

At this point, Mum rears up on her hind legs, and simultaneously does a 180, and comes down onto all fours, and she starts coming like a freight train. She's making no sound whatsoever, her ears are flat back against her head, and her eye's are locked onto me like a missile guidance system. Amazing. I've never seen anything like it. Instant brown underpants. She covered the 35 to 40 metre distance between us in less time than it took me to react and floor the gas pedal, and before I knew it, she was 5 feet from the drivers window. Thankfully the truck reacted fast and I was moving out of there just in time to see her rear up and swipe at the vehicle (missing by centimetres) with her left paw. I then see her in the wing mirror, waving her arms about like a heavyweight boxer, before dropping down onto all fours again and persueing the vehicle for about 25 metres. It was simultaneously one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and an incredibly scary one too.

It was actually kind of cute (in a large terrifying animal sort of way) in that mum was so protective of her babies that she was willing to take on a full size pickup truck just for being in their vicinity. I've had dozens of bear experiences and encounters on both foot and in a vehicle, and have never seen anything like this before. I saw the said same bear again last night, in the same location, and in the same circumstances (only difference being that Yogi and Boo Boo were playing behind her, and not in the middle of the road). Just goes to show, they're all different animals, with different tempers, and sometimes the same animal is different from day to day. It's worth noting this the next time you are pulling over in Banff, Jasper, or Yellowstone, to watch a Griz in the ditch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Oh boy!

A real encounter to reinforce what you obviously have known.

I would def' have needed to change my trousers.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A great tale, thanks for sharing

We're heading to Banff and Jasper in a couple of weeks so I'll keep my eye out for Yogi and Boo Boo and remember to keep the engine running :)

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
A great tale, thanks for sharing

We're heading to Banff and Jasper in a couple of weeks so I'll keep my eye out for Yogi and Boo Boo and remember to keep the engine running :)

What can I say man. 99 times in 100 you'll be fine checking out a bear at the side of the road (never leave the vehicle while doing it), even if they have cubs, but just be aware. The ones in Banff and Jasper are probably really used to having it happen (which in my opinion is a really bad thing for a whole other set of reasons). Just be careful. That bear was coming straight for ME. She knew exactly what the target was, and was clearly aware that there was a person behind a sheet of glass, and based upon the way she was coming I don't think she was bluffing either.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We had a bit of an "experience" last time we were over, we were on one of those old yellow school buses on our way to do a white water rafting trip, five minutes after setting off we broke down at a crossroads on the edge of Jasper. Everybody got off the bus and we were just stood around talking when there was a crashing noise coming through the bushes behind us, next thing we knew a black bear and two cubs came trotting out, closely followed by around half a dozen Elk. Either there was something really big coming up behind or those Elk were feeling really brave. We all piled back on the broken down bus and my wife managed to grab a piccy on her phone of the mum bear as she disappeared into the bushes on the other side of the road ...

IMG_0597.jpg

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Can i make a request please?

I'd be extremely grateful if you could add a few more paragraphs and hit enter a few more times to space over the story.

I read the first section but it sent me eyes wonkey, tried zooming, different fonts etc but these old eye couldn't handle it :(

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Lovely post, good for getting the adrenalin up. Cheers.

Just goes to show, they're all different animals, with different tempers, and sometimes the same animal is different from day to day.
I reckon that idiot Tim Treadwell found out the hard way!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fantastic experience (thank you for the edit).

If you were driving and experienced in these things i can only imagine how the trainee reacted, did he/she turn up for work the following day?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Can i make a request please?

I'd be extremely grateful if you could add a few more paragraphs and hit enter a few more times to space over the story.

I read the first section but it sent me eyes wonkey, tried zooming, different fonts etc but these old eye couldn't handle it :(

You're supposed to be able to do what you need to do with your browser. That way, we don't all have to see things the way you want to see them. You get what you need and I get what I need. For example, I might need to read it on my telephone, or in Braille. Unfortunately the majority of the publishers in this world has more or less backed the World-Wide Web into a corner and suffocated it, and sometimes this is all more difficult than it should be. If you can't make your current browser do what you want it to do, try one or two others.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Howdy,
Before people start chipping in with their 2 pence worth on what went wrong, I know exactly what went wrong, and know how to avoid it in future.

Hi,

scary indeed but I'm not sure I understood what went wrong and how to avoid it. Seems to me (0 experience of bears) like what you did was quite reasonable. Can you inform?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
You're supposed to be able to do what you need to do with your browser. That way, we don't all have to see things the way you want to see them. You get what you need and I get what I need. For example, I might need to read it on my telephone, or in Braille. Unfortunately the majority of the publishers in this world has more or less backed the World-Wide Web into a corner and suffocated it, and sometimes this is all more difficult than it should be. If you can't make your current browser do what you want it to do, try one or two others.

I don't really understand what your trying to say.

Are you saying i should be to space or start new paragraphs from my browser?
If so please point me to that browser and i'll try it, as with IE, Firefox and chrome you are only able to change the font and font size, not respace the post, that needs to be done by the poster or a mod.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE