Southey & JonathanD's Epic Knife Swap

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I had a little something delivered this morning, :)

185422_10150344177679073_539479072_9683136_1636741_n.jpg

:D

215081_10150344177939073_539479072_9683139_5942958_n.jpg

My very first thought was its a little heavier than most knives i have played with, only a couple with stabilised wood scales felt similar, but the build quality is great, what ever angle you look from it gives you a good line and pleasing contrasts in texture and colours, It is slightly bigger than I had imagined in the blade and the handle and both were larger in height rather than width, I had wondered if it might over fill my hand and become uncomfortable, but more on that later,

228827_10150344178139073_539479072_9683141_5576671_n.jpg

198764_10150344178314073_539479072_9683142_4543312_n.jpg

I have had a little play tonight, just a few cut, round reduction, flat peg joints, butterfly joint and pot hanger knock, It so far feels very good in the different grips needed to make the cuts, the edge profile does slice very well, though i did find it a little tricky getting used to controlling the slice, I think this was just down to getting used to a bigger handle and how it picks up on, and transmits your movements to the edge, the knife i use is to the right in this pic, you can see I am used to a smaller handle, but its early days and i have a project in mind to give me a direct comparison to my other knife, in comfort, cutting power in different grips and use for me and the things i like to do with knives,

283527_10150344544074073_539479072_9686417_3034951_n.jpg

Do not worry, the proper camera will be out tomorrow for some nice arty shots and everything!

:DCheers Southey!

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
This ought to be good. I patiently await the start of the festivities. Dun go without a FAK mates! Count the fingers, before and after.

Last edited:

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
I had wondered if it might over fill my hand and become uncomfortable

thats gotta rank pretty high on the top ten list of things you shouldn't say about another mans tool

thats an awesome knife though, i like the shape of the blade, it looks very well thought out, good effort

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How's it work with battoning Southey? I bet it took some serious knocks with a stone to split down some logs. Putting in some poisdriv screws ahould be really easy with the point on that blade, just don't press too hard. Let the screw pull itself in.

Looking forward to reading what the Hell's teeth or whatever it's called will do to your office stores cupboard JonD. Jemmy the lock would be a good start, it's only mild steel and brass bolt.

All the best chaps.

Nice to be back after my week in the UK. Still raining here in Normandy. Hope the Moot's dryer.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well I'm still awaiting the mighty Hellion. It probably got delivered today but I was out of the office doing field work, and when I got back, the solicitors offices next door had closed. So if they signed for it, I won't get it till Monday now. PantsPantsPants.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
That is a lovely pair, I am jealous of both! I am going to go play with one of my knives now. I wish I could get out somewhere. It is 105F here and has been that or more for months. Ah, the desert! I am ready for some cooler weather. Only 2 more months and it will be decent.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Can't wait to play with the Hellion. Like Dave, I luuurve big daft knives like that.

Problem is though, when I get them, I think 'ooooohhhhhhh' and then I start to wonder exactly what the hell I'm going to do with it. So tomorrow, I'm going to go out and find myself a nice cow that seems abandoned. Should be no end of stuff to do with a big knife and a dead cow.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
OKAAAAAAAAAAY! First vid is here, I have just had some pointers on use from Jon which I will show in the next vid, it helps to explain some of the design points, but for now you will have to live with this, Hope you Bought pop corn,

[video=youtube;HjlYUS--2oU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjlYUS--2oU[/video]

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Is that you doing the disco song and dance too?

Great vid southey, only 2 guinness and no popcorn.

loved the paranormal activity piece midway...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The Hellion has landed...

DSC00157.jpg

First impressions are, ***, smaller than I thought. More ridiculous than I thought....

After the first five minutes.... it is well made, no doubt. Feels good in the hand. It is primarily a military blade for sure, partially survival oriented without any hint at bushcraft. The cutting angles are a little weird, but I think I get them. Although I'll have to test this obviously. I don't understand the square guards, but maybe I will after using it. I've a great respect for Myke Hawke as he has military experience that is utterly insane, and that is just the known stuff. He has more lettuce than Bugs Bunny could dream of, and he teaches this subject to elite forces. So he does know his stuff obviously.

As such, I'll be reviewing this knife not just as a bushcrafting knife, but as a military/survival/wilderness blade. So far, holding it does show that it it is a true survival blade, probably ideal when you are you are right slap bang in an E&E situ. Whether it gears more towards military use or actual wilderness survival is something I have to test. But I have a feeling I know the answer already. Interesting though, and I will be having fun for sure.

DSC00158.jpg

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Great stuff guys,

Very entertaining aswell :),

I was expecting the Deval to be a lot smaller than that. Any idea what it weighs in at??.

Thanks again both

All the best

Craig

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I can not figure what the purpose of the Hellion is and I shared some common military experience with MH. The Hellion to me looks like a Swiss Army Machete, lots of sort of tools that seem to make an attempt to replicate some real tool.
For function I believe I would trade a Hellion for a Mora Clipper and walk away smiling. A military knife is like a Randall #1 with a 7" blade or the good old Ka-Bar. Some of the other adaptations like the USAF Survival knife seem poorly thought out and made of rotten metal. While the marketing folks idea of what a "survival knife" is and what is really necessary as a cutting tool in a survival situation are, to me, quite different. A large knife is likely to be the least desireable unless you count a machete for the jungle or very dense brush. Is a survivor doing landscaping or carving a spoon? If you think survival means running some enemy through with the knife, by all means you need a 6+ inch blade, like a Ka-bar.
I think the Hellion knife is more of a movie "ah cool" blade than it will ever be as a good forest tool. I patiently await Jonathan's testing and opinion. No offense to Southey, as I know you like the Hellion and as long as you are happy that is what counts on that front. Cheers!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I hope that Hellion works better than it looks as I think you was robbed... My Deval is nice & keeps getting better. Your one there looked nicer than mine, so I would hope that Rambo 'Special' forces one can cut train axels in two, pry up manhole hole covers & be run over by tanks.

Still, if it makles you both happy then it's a good thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE