South Wales Meet 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Latest update

I've got hold of them at the farm, and were OK for the weekend

Stewart

Been trying to contact BNI on the phone, but no reply. I know the lady who runs it is a bit mutton so I'll keep on trying.

Steve - hope your feeling up to it.

ATB

Stewart

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Any room for me?
I live not too far from here and it would be good to meet some of you.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Had a good morning this morning. Apart from Lowan getting me up at 03:30,:rolleyes: I decided that, as next week is my last week in work, i'd drop off the radar for a couple of hours and scout out the woods i've, sorry, we've been given permission to use just north of Cowbridge and the A48.

We have been given two woodlands to use by a very nice man called John who seems to own most of the land between Bridgend and Cardiff! I popped over to meet him and his land manager Mike; both very nice blokes who were thrilled to bit's with my proposition and then promptly blew it out of the water!

They said NO to a user contract.

They said NO to any sort of payment.

They said NO to any notice needed to use the land.

John said 'The only thing i require is that you leave no litter, i hate litter, but you being Bushcrafters have this 'leave no trace' mentality so i've no worries there have i!' He also said that any rabbits, squirrels, whatever is in those woods we can have! Again he refuse my offer of a token payment and said he had to go to his Paintball buisness in the next woodland and left. Mike says he likes a good single Malt so i'm sure we can rustle that up between us. So, we have two woodlands we can use, for free, when ever we want, for as long as we want.

Had a mooch around the woods and found that the younger of the woods is on a hillside. Initially it is quite steep, however, as you get about two thirds up, it levels out and the top looks real nice. There's little sign that the kids in the nearby village have used it (did i mention there is a pub about 10 mins walk?) and the trails in it look like they only get used very occasionally. I saw fox and badger tracks in the moist mud as well.

The older of the two woods has been thinned out a couple of years ago by the look of it. If you wanted to hammock in it, you'd need a long rope and everything off the pathways is overgrown with more than it's fair share of brambles. On the poistive side, it too is on a hill but not as steep or high as the previous one.

In both woods there are dead standing and dead fallen as well as plenty of wood and branches lying about. I prefer the first wood. as much as the initial hike is a little steep, it does discourage casual passers by and the views from the top are stunning. As it is a youngish wood, the tree's are not as widely spread, nor as tall as to permit, say a large Tipi, but you'd have a job carting one up anyway. It's ideal for hammock, tarp or small tents and is secluded and quiet. It's begging to be used so i'm proposing a late October meet (yeah, i know we have'nt done September yet). What weekend is good for you guys?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would be up for it but my wife is going in for quite a major operation on the 23rd Oct so the earliest I would be available is the 7th - 9th November during my 10 days off!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Sound great look forward to septembers meet to find out more.Well up for a couple of night in October though.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I hope Steve (Bikething) is well enough to make it and Will (Jungle Re from BB) is coming to play.

Now if I remember rightly Mr Lewis is a star, I'll pack the plinker just in case there are bunnies.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Wooohooo. Dinner party re-arranged. Your woods on 7th Spence?

Just spent the afternoon with Jungle Re in the pub, he's a top lad and may have something nice for us to cook next weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE