South African pattern '83 pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raw01

Mar 30, 2010
Jhb South Africa
Looks quite nice mate,
You dont see much S.African surplus about.. A piece of history from back in the apartheid days. Wonder what else is about??:confused:

There is plenty South African kit around, they still use those M83 Pattern packs.
It is quite heavy but tough as nails like all the Bush war era kit.
A better pack to look out for is the Batteleur 90 Pathfinder pack that our paras use, has a lighter aluminium adjustable butterfly frame and can be used with or without the frame and has a few more pouches.
They are becoming more and more scarce because the guys in the military prefer it over their issued M83 packs.
Will post some pics later.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
There is plenty South African kit around, they still use those M83 Pattern packs.
It is quite heavy but tough as nails like all the Bush war era kit.
A better pack to look out for is the Batteleur 90 Pathfinder pack that our paras use, has a lighter aluminium adjustable butterfly frame and can be used with or without the frame and has a few more pouches.
They are becoming more and more scarce because the guys in the military prefer it over their issued M83 packs.
Will post some pics later.

Thanks for that will check it out sounds good

Raw01

Mar 30, 2010
Jhb South Africa
Pics

DSCN0485_zps408665b3.jpg

DSCN0487_zps8ed3d479.jpg

DSCN0493_zps99282676.jpg

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
The Batteleur 90 Pathfinder pack looks well interesting...
rucksack sadf.jpgsadf 2.jpgsadf 3.jpgsadf 4.jpgsadf 5.jpgsadf 6.jpg
I found these photos a while back.
Note the pack's novel system of an external frame combined with an LA/CFP 90 style shoulder harness adjusting rail.
Also note the 6 external pockets designed to take the SADF's 2l canteen. That's 6 x 2l H2O=16kg!
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Love the old South African kit of that era, had one if the M83 vests for a while when I was in the army - wished I'd not sold it, Also used one of the M83 chest rigs - great kit!! Would love to get hold of a niemoller vest/ belt kit one day!

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
I used this pack to walk a big chunk of the South West Coastal path a few years ago. I can assure you that it was NOT comfortable! Mine had no frame and it was a miserable 'learning experience'. It sat low on the back, the padding was inadequate and the load kinda 'slumped'. Unless it has the frame, or you are only using it to hump kit from car to camp, I do not recommend it for medium or long distances. I invested in a well proportioned, properly fitted (Lowe Alpine, but ya pays ya money....) rucksack the moment I got back home.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I used this pack to walk a big chunk of the South West Coastal path a few years ago. I can assure you that it was NOT comfortable! Mine had no frame and it was a miserable 'learning experience'. It sat low on the back, the padding was inadequate and the load kinda 'slumped'. Unless it has the frame, or you are only using it to hump kit from car to camp, I do not recommend it for medium or long distances. I invested in a well proportioned, properly fitted (Lowe Alpine, but ya pays ya money....) rucksack the moment I got back home.

This pack was designed to use with a frame though, so it would be like using a large ALICE pack with no frame ie:you can't! (without suffering)
I think the lack of frame was your problem, not the pack........

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
The pattern 83 is a big bag... This is packed with...
Softie 10 and fleece jacket in bottom compartment.
Bottom side pouches have storm f1 and 12cm zebra
Top section has 3 fleeces, jack pyke hunter, 2 rain coats and 2 pair of heavy lined trousers. There's room under the lid for a2 man tent and sheepskin bedroll.

There's still the top pockets to fill and loads of room in top bag and under the lid.

Picture taken beside a mortar ammo pack (tecmac 50)

6a6ybe4u.jpg

touched by nature

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
thanks for the pic swright thats definitly making me sway more for it! I think when im brave enough to dip into savings will make sure i get one with the frame and try it out for myself as packs are different for everybody

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
thanks for the pic swright thats definitly making me sway more for it! I think when im brave enough to dip into savings will make sure i get one with the frame and try it out for myself as packs are different for everybody

This is chisellers pack, we just had it delivered here as he was out. I took the liberty at having a play. I'm sure there are frames that'll fit, if not, something can easily be crafted.

This one cost £25 plus a fiver delivery off eBay. I'm tempted to get one in the not to distant future.

Steve

touched by nature

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Ive got a unissued one its my favorite pack ,but the one you linked isnt showing its external frame which id say is a must i never used mine without its frame, the pack itself obviously can be used without the frame but there are no supports in it its dense (i think) foam covered in codura the frame is great you can carry kit on it without the pack it can take a load of weight and i find it very comfy the pack is also good two big main compartments and four smaller ones plus some usefull strap to attach bed rolls etc

if you are interested there is a europe site on line that deliver to U.K and they have them complete with frame cant remeber the link off hand but will have a search,they are very tough big well made packs.

There used to be a site. The finnish http://www.varusteleka.fi site used to have this pack but alas their gone...

This is an alternative: http://begadishop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6924 but without the frame..

Last edited:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
It's lighter that a tecmac 50. I've no working scales at the moment, but I'd say about 1.5kg

It's very big. Not a bimble bag, in fact I'm about to curl up and have a kip in the top section with the wife and the fridge :D

touched by nature

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE