South African pattern '83 pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Just had another look at the Ebay one and it doesn't look like it's got the frame that it looks like it should do in the link I posted so might not be too good to carry when it's fully loaded.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I don't know anything specifically about that pack, but I do know that South African gear of that era is very well made and can stand up to real hardship.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive got a unissued one its my favorite pack ,but the one you linked isnt showing its external frame which id say is a must i never used mine without its frame, the pack itself obviously can be used without the frame but there are no supports in it its dense (i think) foam covered in codura the frame is great you can carry kit on it without the pack it can take a load of weight and i find it very comfy the pack is also good two big main compartments and four smaller ones plus some usefull strap to attach bed rolls etc

if you are interested there is a europe site on line that deliver to U.K and they have them complete with frame cant remeber the link off hand but will have a search,they are very tough big well made packs.

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Ive got a unissued one its my favorite pack ,but the one you linked isnt showing its external frame which id say is a must i never used mine without its frame, the pack itself obviously can be used without the frame but there are no supports in it its dense (i think) foam covered in codura the frame is great you can carry kit on it without the pack it can take a load of weight and i find it very comfy the pack is also good two big main compartments and four smaller ones plus some usefull strap to attach bed rolls etc.

Thanks good to hear some praise taken from experience. Im considering getting one as they seems good for the price

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
The clincher for me was the fact where i camp is remote and has a big cliff climb down i can take down the frame and pack,dump the pack at the bottom go back up with frame and carry down bags of logs, jerry can of water etc, in comfort strapped to the frame

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Ive got a unissued one its my favorite pack ,but the one you linked isnt showing its external frame which id say is a must i never used mine without its frame, the pack itself obviously can be used without the frame but there are no supports in it its dense (i think) foam covered in codura the frame is great you can carry kit on it without the pack it can take a load of weight and i find it very comfy the pack is also good two big main compartments and four smaller ones plus some usefull strap to attach bed rolls etc

if you are interested there is a europe site on line that deliver to U.K and they have them complete with frame cant remeber the link off hand but will have a search,they are very tough big well made packs.

What's the zips like ? That would be my main concern . Cheers

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
i have not used one myself but i have it on good authority they are good packs made to last being thrown about and bundu bashing.

Looks quite nice mate,
You dont see much S.African surplus about.. A piece of history from back in the apartheid days. Wonder what else is about??:confused:

Most South African kit gets used to destruction fix and reuse till you can no more. Lots of ex solderers kept hold of their issued kit as back in the day when i was still their you never rely got out you where still a reserve so had to keep it in case you got called up again, not sure if its still like that now.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Chiseller the zip on the bottom main pack is a strudy one(think zips on old type karrimor packs) when not using mine for camping i use it for my training pack eg i fill it with heavy kit and use it for 8 mile walks once or twice a week to keep fit the packs probs got 25kg in it and there's no probs at all (bottom pack has two old german shelter halfs plus 4 packs of the heavy duty pags,plus old ww2 canvas/rubber ground sheet,and a old zeltbahn)

to add due to the lid coming down and fastening at the bottom of the pack any strain is taken up by the lid/straps anyway rather than the zip.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE