South African pattern '83 pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Heres some pics of mine the attached straps on bergen original the frame ones where missing i replaced them with gs bergen straps apart from the its mint condition.

M83SADF001.jpg

M83SADF002.jpg

M83SADF004.jpg

M83SADF005.jpg

M83SADF006.jpg

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Got one :thumbup:
So.....courtesy of my mucka Steve , ive aquired one these , minus frame :'(
But fortunately I've a Japanese framed pack . Turned out not a bad fit :)
As said by others......a very loadable pack.....very....

Side pouches.x4
.....14cm zebra billy....with some modifications with a log and a hammer.....ontop of this is a wildstoves woodgas special. Inside the stove is tinder , inside the zebra is a couple of meals and some coffee.

Warbonnet superfly with pegs and cordage.

Decent first aid kit , fire kit, spare knife and a fiskars trowel. Cordage, torch spare batteries , sharpening kit and plenty of gaffa tape.

Crusader cup ,full osprey bottle and cup , + brew / food .

Bottom zipped compartment...
10 snares + tealers , hobo fish kit..softie 10 bag , UK hammocks woodsman midgie and all hanging kit. Lifesaver 400 purifier, survival bag , couple of bilmo-brand lanterns (still room for a couple of bits n bobs...

Main compartment....
swandri bush shirt , zipped army woolpower midlayer , lightweight trousers , spare base layers, yoke and two rocket pouches, room for 3 days rations.

Going down inside joining main and bottom compartments, I have a large silky saw and a gb wildlife hatchet

Lid compartment....
Pair of wiggys waders, ventile smock, military Pac-lite over trousers , hat , gloves and head torch.

Outside straps.....home made winged foam roll mat for hammock / ground And first aid. Inside this I could roll a bivi bag.
On top , a pair of leather crocs . There is room still ontop or under lid for more if needed !

How does the weight and balance feel...after a short bimble......

Easy on the back /shoulders but my legs told me I'm missing something vital......the muscles I had ten year ago lol.

The frame makes a hell of a difference and for heavy loads and multeye functionalleeety .....it seems the way back is the way forward.

I'm taking the pack to work to weigh...should be intresting.

Summer time I can use different gear and options and obviously go lighter and have better tasting food etc to go further more efficiently......if I find which cubby oyle I put my muscles in lol.

Two walking sticks or one staff one stick would reduce load on legs /knees etc. ...
I'm going to make a longer more useful frame from either ally or pvc
So first impression.......FIERCE......like a honey badger mated with a wolverine on angel dust :eek:

ugepured.jpg

8ezy4yze.jpg

2era5aqy.jpg

a9a5emaj.jpg

da5yrepu.jpg

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Seems to fit a treat, and no doubt if you wanted to you could switch out the day glow straps on the frame for ones such as those from lk35 or lk 70 or as i have done gs bergen.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Looks great Chis , i should have nabbed one of these when i had a chance years ago!

Still out there buddy, mine stands me @ 30 plus a fiver for the framed pack , but I'm going to either tig an ally frame together or glue n hot gun a pvc frame.

I'm going to make one like a kelty hauler frame :thumbup:

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Got some SA contacts ,thinking of asking the question:eek:

I'd go for it :thumbup: if this one hadn't come up , I'd have imported one misen . Mine has a couple of small repairs, and needs another on the inner dividing compartment, other than that......tiptop.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Chiseller, if your ever up this way and want to take some measurments/dimensions of my S.A.frame before you have a go at building one, or if you want me to get the old tape measure out(oo-er) for any measurements let me know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE