Sourdough.. accidental experimental archaeology?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I think I've made Sourdough, in probably the same way as it was first discovered....

For last weekend's South Wales get-together I made loads of chapati mix (atta and water) since Nigel was making a chicken curry. Stuck it into an oiled freezer bag and then headed off to Aberdulais. Of course I'd made way more than I needed so kept the remainder in the bag and then in a billy can.

On Monday I was sorting out my gear and noticed that the mix was getting a bit spongy and was starting to smell yeasty. So happy accident seems to have connected me with my ancestors.

Bringing it up to date I reckon it's now ready to have a try at bread making. Any suggestions of what to add to it? I would guess Atta is quite heavy for leavened bread so I'm thinking of adding the same again of white flour and some salt. Sounds like I'm heading in the right direction?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Funnily enough I started a sourdough starter three days ago, and mine now smells sort of beery :cool:

I found on-line instructions here
http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm

I'm making mine for a Bronze Age activity with schoolkids, I have a saddle quern and wheat, barley and oats for them to use, but I reckoned sourdough was the way to go with the authenticity. HS won't let me light a fire to cook it though :(

Have fun, cheers,
Mary

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
cheers Toddy. ;)

I think my experiment continues since rather than having a frothy starter I had about a half a kilo of risen dough. I grabbed a bit to make a starter as instructed for another time. With the remainder I added about the same again in strong white flour, some salt, honey and warm water, mixed and kneaded and have set it aside. I'm guessing it'll take another day or so to rise again before I can bake with it.

It's years since I've made my own bread so could be a disaster. Who knows what fungi etc might be in the dough from my weekend in the woods? If I'm not heard from next week....... :yikes:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Justin Time said:
cheers Toddy. ;)

It's years since I've made my own bread so could be a disaster. Who knows what fungi etc might be in the dough from my weekend in the woods? If I'm not heard from next week....... :yikes:

As you have said we eaten fermented products since before recorded time, we are really good at spotting even the most slightest contamination with bacteria and fungi that shouldn't be there. Bad bread is as easy to spot as bad beer. I have never cooked bread on fire, but just be really sure that it is cook through and you will live.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Baked it in the oven at home, rose well during the day.... so It looks like bread...

although felt heavier than it should, on slicing looked a bit stodgy, still some glossiness

and taste? well, not as sour as sourdough I've bought, in fact a bit of sweetness like you get with malted granary bread (which I'm not keen on). Hint of smokiness... Texture a bit too stodgy but a nice chewy crust. Tasted good with toasted cheese this morning but didn't like it with jam. I then cut it in half and noticed that the the lower parts of the centre were heavy and a bit uncooked looking. Either I didn't bake it long enough, or there just wasn't enough lift in the dough for it to rise in the oven. I can't see me eating the bulk of the loaf, just round the edges

All in all, not bad for an accident and lack of recipe.... didn't measure a thing! Forgot how little work breadmaking actually is. I'll try making some on the fire some time and let you know how it goes.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Looks very open textured and...well like bread really. Well done.

Could the stogginess be down to the atta which doesn't have the gluten to hold the gasses in and which would probably sink to the bottom?

The crust seems well developed all the way round so it' probably cooked enough.

Oh no! I'm getting the itch to start baking my own bread again. Last time that happened (1980's) I spent my Sundays baking loaves and rolls for neighbours.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
bent-stick said:
Could the stogginess be down to the atta which doesn't have the gluten to hold the gasses in and which would probably sink to the bottom?

That sounds like a good explanation, the stodginess is on the bottom of the loaf, almost like a separate layer...

Bread making is addictive isn't it, think I'll have to dig out my old Elizabeth David book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE