Solar cooking anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey... I thought I'd share a very quick initial, albeit simple, as simple as can be really (eggs) tryout of a GoSunGo solar stove. I backed it on kickstarter, and recieved it a few days ago. I'm very impressed with how easy it is to use. The construction is light and robust. Took about half hour to overcook the eggs, all I did was plop them into the silicon trays, and left it too it. You're supposed to turn the unit to follow the sun, but I didn't, more of an issue when cooking something for longer.
Placing food directly into the stainless tray would speed cooking time etc.
It boils water too, not tested by myself yet, just take out the cooking tray, fill with water, use rubber end cap and let it do its thing. Very impressed with the design and quality of the build, lightweight at 900g.
I'll definitely be using it more extensively in the next couple of days if anyones interested in further insights of actually using it. Just let me know.

https://www.gosuneurope.com/products/gosun-go-portable-solar-cooker

I'm in no way affiliated with the company, just a happy backer :)

Attachments

• gosungo 1.jpg
    gosungo 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 19
  • gosungo 2.jpg
    gosungo 2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 20

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
At 2lbs and quite bulky I don't think I'll be biting, but I would be interested to hear a longer-term report.

The website says it can cook even when it's cloudy... I have my doubts. Also, the capacity is 400ml, which isn't a full meal for most, so you'd either need two of these, or another stove - at which point, what's the point?

"Is your shadow visible? If so, you can cook. Take a hike while you wait." I just think that for the weather in these islands, for the reliability of sunshine, this isn't really a runner. But maybe it's more reliable and predictable than I'm thinking.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
At 2lbs and quite bulky I don't think I'll be biting, but I would be interested to hear a longer-term report.

The website says it can cook even when it's cloudy... I have my doubts. Also, the capacity is 400ml, which isn't a full meal for most, so you'd either need two of these, or another stove - at which point, what's the point?

"Is your shadow visible? If so, you can cook. Take a hike while you wait." I just think that for the weather in these islands, for the reliability of sunshine, this isn't really a runner. But maybe it's more reliable and predictable than I'm thinking.

Agree 100%. If you’re out and want to eat, or need a hot drink it’s not much fun waiting hopefully for the sun to come out.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Been tried many times before, many designs on the market, they even make one for the African outback, to save the remaining brush and forests
To slow, to complicated to use.

Works in Britain when cloudy?
Tell us if it does, compare the time it takes to boil water in sun and in shade.

The sun energy does penetrate through the clouds, but ow do you know where the sun is to aim the mirror towards it ?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Clouds are UV transparent. Far much less so for infrared/heat = clouds are a welcome blanket.

I'd try solar cooking if I lived in a rain shadow (eg Jasper National Park, Alberta).

However, I live in the western slope of the mountains which is far wetter from onshore Pacific moisture.
This is the ICH = Interior Cedar Hemlock biogoeclimatic zone. Cedar needs wet.
Plan according to your environment, I suppose. Functional solar heating units are huge arrays.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The internet is full of designs a bushcrafter can sink their tooth into and craft one.
Then put it in the corner of the garage with the rest of non gunctional stuff.

Another aspect is that we spend most of our outdoor time in forested areas ( at least I do) so obstructed from the sun.

Sorry to be so negative, but I have seen so much useless and expensive stuff over the years!

My last one I used once was an electric nut cracker.
Design was not made for Brazil nuts.

And the one before that was a Philippe Starck juicer.
No fun licking juice from the countertop. But it looks really cool on top of the fridge!

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My solar power tonight will come as a bag of Kingston charcoal briquettes. Solid sunshine.
Hambuggers on BBQ grill #18 = a new and cheap little charcoal grill.
The big smoker BBQ all run really well in the rain.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I hear you all. However, my intended use is not as a replacement to any of the other cook sets I use. I envisaged using it on the days, albeit infrequently when I'm at the beach with the family, a sunny day, a spot of shellfish foraging, set it up, leave it and play.
I guess I will try it in less than perfect conditions regarding how much sun is available. It does work, I've seen it in my first usage. There are plenty of other users out there perfectly happy with how it performs. If you want bigger capacity, buy a larger one. Didn't get to use it over the last few days as I hoped, weather was glorious too, and would have been ideal. But alas, other more pressing matters to attend to, namely a pregnant missus.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I understand all the "nah sayers" ( if that is how it is spelt). But to be able to cook a meal, without using a finite supply of fuel, is no bad thing. Might not work today but will work some time this week!. Might not work 12 months a year but how many log burners for tents are used 12 months a year. I also think there will be some one who will say " I use my tent stove every weekend and twice during the week". Fine if you own an entire wood and have 100 trees to burn whenever you like.

Things like these are not for every one, all of the time but used a couple of times a week for 6 months of the year would save a small tree!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE